Indiana Pacers Dec. 12th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here's how out of the blue Stuckey's shooting was. He's played 76 games in his NBA career. In the first 75 of those, he has made five 3-pointers. In his 76th game, he made four. Plus, I think he made 2 more J's outside the free throw line. He didn't force anything inside, but he still got in the lane a few times, made some point-blank shots and got fouled in the act 4 times. + 8 assists and 3 steals. Very CB-like.

It is now 7 out of his last 8 games that Stuck has scored in double digits. He has shot 53% over this stretch. 7.25 assists per game as well.

In last night's game, I also thought he showed a nice balance between actively looking for his teammates and choosing his spots to be aggressive. Earlier in the year, I felt like he had 2 modes and he was telegraphing which one he was in. Turnovers and charges resulted.

It is too bad that we can't play 6 on 6, because I liked how Rip and AI were moving constantly. Stuck/ AI/ Rip/ Tay/ Amir/ Sheed would be a great starting lineup.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He hardly moves, what's he need a seatbelt for?

I'm not sure scoring 28 points and giving up 42 points constitutes a good game either. If there was good D behind him TGRH could do a decent job on 3's. I guess that goes for Tay also.

3. max

max All-Star

Thats probably the most logical choice right now, besides Rip and AI sure do you look good out there when AI is not running the offense. Can his ego handle it though?

I will give Rip a pass that game since most of Grangers shots were contested jump shots or transition buckets. It was just Grangers game.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nine games ago I waived him in my fantasy league :frusty:

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

seems i picked him up nine games ago.... could you waive a few more good players... I need blocks and 3 pointers

6. LA Dre

The small ball is obviously hurting defensively and although its only been two games with Dice back, the defense has not got any better...he just put up more points then we are use to getting from any of our other bigs not named Sheed

Two guys that started earlier in the season Amir and Kwame have all but been bannished to the locker room. Curry got Max back in there, but now he needs to get Amir back in there too before his confidence is shot. Even starting him would be nice to see if we can offset the other teams easy routes to the hoop.

Egos can ruin a team's chemistry and the coach, GM and a key vet needs to realize this and throw out the small ball experiment.

In the meanigless stats area: young pups> Bynum, Stuckey, Max shot a combined 14-16 from the field, but none were on the floor during crunch time.....luckily Rip and Sheed hit a few key hoops down the stretch, as Curry dodged a loss there with a his hot shooters on the bench..the unknown question is if either of these guys had been on the floor in those last six minutes would our defense been better or worse than the 30 points we gave up in the 4th??:confused:

7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm a little confused by this. It sounds as if you are saying that you'd like to see games in which the Pistons are outshot (percentage-wise) but outrebound the other team. I certainly would like to see us outrebound the other team, but why would we want our team to be outshot? Can you clarify?

8. professor

I couldn't see the game last night. So thanks everybody for recaps and perspectives on it. Looking at the box score, it seems to me that the offense was clicking, and that the defense and rebounding were not (even given that there weren't that many rebounds to be gotten in this game [66], the Pacers got close to 60 % of them). I couldn't tell from y'all posts whether this was a question of intensity or question of rotations, or both. Sounds like small ball was a problem, so I'm inclined to think it was rotations and that the guys who played at least were trying this game. Anybody who saw the game have some opinion on this question of intensity, desire, leadership, hustle, etc.? Was there some improvement in this regard in this game?

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The easiest way to determine who won the rebounding battle is to only compare the offensive rebounds between the teams.

Last night, Indiana got 7 and we got 5. Besides those rebounds, each team grabbed every single rebound that they should have. Offensive rebounds are like breaking serve in men's tennis.

Defensive rebounding numbers are deceiving because the amount of available rebounds are different because of the differing shooting percentages and also a missed free throw is a gimme.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It was touch and go at the end, but I thought the team really came together in the last couple minutes and closed out at home.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

They shot .588 but had 20 T/Os to our 17 and 9 Blks to our 11.
    They shot ~.430 3s to our ~.500
    They win on they their court.
    No Kwam either.

12. LA Dre

The only improvement was that we shot well in the quarters 1, 2 and 4. The defense played just as it had in prior games with missed assignments here and there. The rotations were a little better and we did get great shooting from the bench with Max, Bynum and Dice going something like 14 of 18. You add Stuckey's shooting to that and you get something like 20 of 25 from the floor. (Sheed and Tay were 5 of 19 but out there in crunch time for defense and experience)

So bottom line we still need to play better defense as we won't shoot over 50% every night and it appears we have to do that or score over 100 pts just to win..

13. professor

Useful way to look at it. thanks!

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What i meant was i would rather see us win shooting a lower % and outrebounding the opponent than to get outrebounded, shoot a high % and win. The first is a likely indicator of a good defensive team that is doing the things that will be successful in the PO's and the latter the PHX Suns or worse a fluky win.

:pound:I don't know. If i were the INDY coach i would think about moving him to center ASAP.

Me too. I though Curry would be LB-lite.

Unfortuanately after reading the papers today, it doesn't look like small ball is going anywhere. Curry is talking it up like it won the game; AI has said that the offense runs smoother w/ Stuck at PG and basically admitted he's not a PG, MC has also said he usues +/- as an indicator of who plays well yet Amir is still glued to the bench.

Mostly there is talk about our offensive production and maybe one article that mentions "hey, our defense blows". And i can't believe i'm asking this, but where is KB? He's needed. He's a great low post defender if nothing else. Unfortunately, this was band-aid win.

Who is this team? :dizzy2:

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Me too. Tay's defensive reputation is nothing more than folklore these days. And let's not assume that Stuckey is the only one who could take mins down the stretch, AA may earn some too. This team really needs Stuckey playing as one of the best PG's in the league to compete at an optimal level, leave him in the game in the 4th qtr.

This is where team captain leadership needs to come into play. The players need to make a vow that no matter who plays, you play hard, no matter when you play, you play hard, and if you're one of the players being benched, then you SUPPORT HARD!!!! Having this much depth and talent is only effective if the players are willing to accept a lesser role on ocassion. This team has 12 capable players who can contribute significantly on any given night...it's our gift and our curse.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How big was Sheed's 3 at the end? Looked like we were on our way to a loss until he knocked that down. Bad game for him overall, but he did lead the team in rebounding (with ony 6) and he did hit what was a pseudo game winner.

Maybe his clutch is working again. Big shot Sheed.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

His clutch has actually been working almost all year. Proves it's mental with him.

18. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wE LOOK LIKE THE pISTONS OF 1984 .

BTW, the combined records of Ben and Chauncey's teams:

BEN.......20-3
    CHAUNCEY...4-0 (with Pistons)
    14-3(with Nuggets)

TOTAL: 38-6

WOW

20. max

max All-Star

I thought they gave it 100% for the most part all game.

Thats the main thing that I was excited about. You really had to see the game to appreciate it. Can't just look at the box and critique the defense.

Besides - they friggen finally won a game....