Indiana December 29th, 8:00PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by Dlev59, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Indiana December 29th, 8:00PM
    TV - FSN (Local) NBALP

The Pistons get to avenge their only loss in the last 8 games as the Pacers come to town. Al Harrington (16 ppg, 6.4 rpg) is playing well alongside O`Neal (18.7 ppg, 10.2 rpg).

Pacers vs. Pistons is usually an entertaining affair, and this game should follow that script. One interesting note; 30 games in and the Pacers are actually healthy!! Tinsley and O`Neal have a missed a game here and there, but the usual 30-40 game stint from either or both of them hasn`t happened, yet.

Look for a low scoring game in the low to mid 80`s for a final score.

2. Dlev59

After the triple OT thriller against the Knicks, I guess nobody cares about this game.

I will be looking to see how tired the Pistons are (they really shouldn`t be at all) and how Flip plays his bench. The Pacers always get up to play Detroit. We could be looking at a two game losing streak here.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Nice to see George and Greg gushing about the 50 pt game. Nevermind the loss. Nevermind the fact that showing all of the Piston players in history that have scored 50 also shows you a list of Pistons teams that never had a remote opportunity for a Championship.

The points are ALL that matter. So Exciting.:yellowprison:

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

My guess is that the Dolphin will place Delfino on the IL after tonight.

Then run into Joe D's office and slam the door, "It's either him or me, Joe!....HIM OR ME!"

6. Dlev59

If that`s not a cramp CB suffered, and Sheed is hobbling............hmmmmmm this could get real interesting..........

7. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

How many character building games do the Pistons need? This one almost went to overtime and I'm not going to say one bad word about Delfino fouling Armstrong on the last play of the game. He was trying to be aggressive and stop a basket and it just wasn't happening. His techinical by the way (throwing the ball against the stancion in front of the ref) is what gets him the flyswatter award tonight. I sure hope Chauncey's all right, maybe all that bad karma of us talking about trading him. Now we'll see for a couple of games what it's like not having Mr. Big Shot running things. I predict it's not going to be pretty and Phoenix will be in town on Sunday.

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Terribly frustrating loss tonight. I can't believe we can't beat these guys.

Pistons started horribly out of the gate, down 12-2, even though Nazr was playing well and even blocked a couple of shots. Pistons responded with a big run to tie it, and with JMax and Delfino playing the last few minutes of the quarter, they even pulled ahead by 10. The Pistons' lead extended to 15 in the second quarter, as the Pacers really struggled on offense, but they went on a massive run and actually went into halftime up 1. The bench played extremely well in the first half, 19 points off the bench, led by Delfino.

Rip got his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter, so Flip came in and played the rest of the quarter. Pistons had no ball movement whatsoever, couldn't make any shots, nothing...a disastrous stretch that got them down 14, as they scored only THREE points in the first SEVEN MINUTES of the quarter. JMax hit a couple of jumpers and helped spark another Pistons run, and when Chauncey banked in a halfcourt shot at the buzzer, the Pistons were only down 3.

Fourth quarter was back and forth for the first six minutes or so, a big change from the game of huge runs that it had been up to that point. Then there were a few mini-runs: Pacers 4-0, Pistons 6-0, Pacers 5-0. That Pistons run was keyed by a huge JMax rejection on Jermaine. Down 6 with 2 minutes left, Dice missed two free throws, and even Chauncey missed a free throw, but somehow the Pistons were within 4 and had the ball with a minute left. Then Rip drove into 3 defenders and turned it over, so now it really looked like it was over. But the Pistons were still down 4 when they got it back with 30 seconds left, and Chauncey hit a 3 from the corner...only to go down with some sort of cramp or charlie horse that took him out of the game. Pistons got within 2 with 8 seconds left after Granger missed a free throw, and Rip drove into the lane, drew an incredibly stupid foul by Jackson, and tied it from the line with 3.5 seconds. So, overtime, right?

Nope. Pacers threw it down the court, the ball was tipped in the air, and Darrell Armstrong picked it up along the baseline. Delfino, running in from midcourt, WENT FOR THE PUMP FAKE, and barrelled into Armstrong on his way down. DA actually missed the first FT, but he made the second to win the game. Delfino did have another good game overall, but man, that was one of the worst fouls ever committed.

Pistons were just too inconsistent tonight, and they killed themselves with some really bad turnovers. The bench brought some good energy and production, but it wasn't enough in the end.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

not delfino's fault flip never should have taken him out. flip just feels tayshaun and rip have to finish the game. rip was hogging and wasn't hitting shots. i do however like the hard foul delfino gave him after armstrong got him up in the air.

10. roscoe36

bball jay, geez man. I don't know how Delfino walks straight with you blowing all that sunshine up his tooshie!

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

0.9 seconds left in a tie game is not my idea of the right time for a hard foul.

12. bball jay

just forget about the 2 rebounds delfino just gave us to put us in position to get that close. delfino played great and that wasn't even delfino's man that he fouled. who was supposed to be checking armstrong who let the long pass get all the way down the court???

the starters were inconsistent. the bench was playing great and flip feels some kind of responsibility to put the starters back in no matter how the bench is playing.

13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Ah, yes, yes it was. It was a genuinely dumbass play. And, he managed to get himself up into the air with no help from Armstrong, especially given that Armstrong was already well covered by Prince.

I've only watched two or three games this year, but that two-man dribbling game that Chauncey and Rip were playing for most of the second half isn't a regular feature now, is it? I have a hard time believing that even Flip's point-guard-pounding offense would devolve that far.

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Oh, so it wasn't his man. I guess that makes it OK.

And I did say that Delfino had a good game overall. But not in the last 3.5 seconds.

Minutes played:

Rasheed 21
    Nazr 17
    JMax 27
    Delfino 23

What the hell are you talking about?

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

UNBE-FREEEKIN-LEEBABLE!!!Why cant we just blow somebody out....

Heres the DIRTY LOW DOWN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rasheed Wallace is a punk of all nature. Its amazing how sick these $5large players get when they just have to play as hard as possible for 25-30 minutes.I saw Jordan sick as a freekin dawg win an NBA Finals game in worse conditions than Sheed tonight. Ive had it with him. he's the Magglio Ordonez of this team. Where was he last year when it mattered? Where will he be this year when it matters? HE let his boy ONEAL go off again and then looked pretty healthy to me in the last twenty seconds. We need MEN this year. Im not saying start Max but he needs his 25 just like tonight, Im just tired of this being the only team in the league that cant win by 10 points on there home court unless they
    play somebody missing 5 of its players?

Trade Sheed.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another loss. What did we gain? Billups will now get some rest. Thats good. If we had a coach worth a darn Billups would have been getting rest, not going for a career high in minutes. Hey, just maybe this 12 year NBA coach can learn. Meanwhile, at least CB will get some time off.

You can sure go from near hero to goat quick. Delfino got the offensive rebound that allowed CB to to tie the game with a triple with 3 seconds left. But then he ran into Armstrong with 9/10 a second to go to put Armstrong at the foul line. Darn. Delfino had a good game early offensively, and played some pretty darn good D, especially in the first half.

Murray was not apparently going to play in this game, but Rip picked up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter and Flip got some time. We did ok with Flip in there. Nothing Flip did mind you, but Dale Davis and Jason Maxiell soon entered the game and things went well. Sheed had the flu, and Mohammed, well, he was just being himself. Dale Davis and JMAX represented a major upgrade at that point.

JMAX hit several shots, mostly just going up and over people. But note his range. Out to 18 feet. And that stepback that his coaches would not let him shoot, he shot one, and nailed it. Baston was defending him so he just took a hard stepback and swished it. This is Jason's best move, something that simply can't be stopped without a double team. Let the guy shoot it.

JMAX also had a serious stuff of O'Neal, as well as just helping keep the ball away from O'Neal. Defense, offense. Yes, JMAX should be starting over Mohammed.

Tay got some scoring, but that outside shot has deserted him-probably something to do with playing over 50 minutes two nights earlier. Rip did ok. Another ho hum 20 something game for him. Some rattled out early or maybe he would have had another huge game. CB got just over 20.

Our bench just seemed fun to watch in that 2nd quarter. Flip should not have taken those guys out. Certainly not Maxiell, and certainly not Blalock cause anyone with any common sense about basketball knew Billups needed the rest. All we got from returning our starters is a lead lost, and more importantly, a great chance to rest our stars completely blown.

Dyess played the 4th, did ok. He hit an outside shot.

No, I do not like to see our rotation shrink. If Flip wants to quit using Flip Murray (good choice) play Amir Johnson in the rotation. I really don't think its a good idea to play Delfino 16 straight minutes. Amir Johnson can spell Tay.

Still obvious that our starting unit has no plays written for Delfino.

Next game Sunday at 4pm, Phoenix. I will be there. GO PISTONS!!!!!

17. bball jay

it's all the jealousy of the bench players. rip should have passed to delfino several times with the game on the line. yet he drove to the hole and turned it over.

18. roscoe36

bball, what does that have to do with fouling a 88% FT shooter in a tie game with only seconds left?

19. bball jay

it doesn't make it ok but at least he was there to make a play at all.

it's not how much they played it's when. when the bench was making a run flip feels obligated to put the starters back in.

20. bball jay

i don't mind bad plays when they are done aggressively. yeah it was a mistake but he made several great plays to get us in the position we were in anyway. nobody is talking about rip and chauncey jacking shots and turning it over. flip murray wouldn't have even been on that half of the court. if he was he would have gave a soft foul and da would get the and one.