1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

I'm starting to miss R Cola *Rick Carlisle*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Re: I'm starting to miss RCola

I never understood that phrase- wanting your cake and eating it too. Why can't I eat the cake? So I looked it up... The phrase is actually "have your cake and eat it too." Pointing out that it is impossibile to eat your cake and still have it afterwards. So essentially it means to want more than one can handle or deserve, or to want two incompatible things.

In this case I don't think the phrase fits. I have little interest in seeing the Pistons get the best record in the league if it means the starters play too much and the bench becomes underdeveloped. I want to see the best TEAM possible, not just the most talented and exhausted starting 5.

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Ok Dave, you're right, having your cake........, but my point is you can't assign the task of winning then say "now do this way", even though most bosses do.

The Piston players believe home court is the answer to last year, not rest or low wear and tear. Given that, Flip & Joe are somewhat obliged to help make it so. Again, we don't know. I hope things work out to their expectations and there will be plenty of time to cruise as we approach the seasons end.

3. DaviaG-Rap

Flip keeps saying he needs to get the bench more involved and stop playing the starters so much. He just can't seem to do it for some reason. You most definately can assign the task of winning and say "do it this way", there are afterall many ways to win. We have already won 40 games any way. We could go 17-17 over our last 34, win 57 games and still get homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs. Now is the time to develop the bench.

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think eating too much cake could slow the guys down. I'm against it.

5. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

I asume you mean till the finals because there are Two teams only 2 games back of us, and I would really rather have game 7 at home against either of them.... more then against the least of the east.

If we go 17-17 down the stretch, they all need to be ashamed and the coach needs to go... saying that, i would guess 24-10 to finish up won't even get us home court.... Looks like 3 teams are going to end up with 65 wins

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I never thought I would see the day when a fan would be pining for The Cola's return.....my goodness.

That guy's inability to make in game adjustments alone, should keep him from every coming back here. The only thing he learned from his time here was that if you toss a little used bench player in during game 3/4/5 of the playoffs...he might have a good game and shock the opponent into a loss. Only to then start that little used player the next game and return to getting your backside kicked because the shock has worn off.

The only reason Indy's young guys are any better is because half the team is in the hospital or the mental ward...

Truly amazing is that the one guy that has coached this bunch to a title as of right now...is the most hated.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

He got a lot of stuff wrong, too. But that's the value of an aphoristic style--nifty sound bites can be interpreted any way you like, and he got that from Arthur Schopenhauer. Nietzsche's Nachtlass notebooks, which often tried to be more systematic, were sometimes rather embarrassing ... and closer to Nazism in places than his defenders care to admit.

But a good guy, and great copy. Any man whose autobiography includes chapters like "Why I Am So Wise," "Why I Write Such Good Books" and "Why I Am A Destiny" can't be all bad.

EDIT: BACK TO THE TOPIC ... I think one reason people feel hatred for Larry is because he not only coached the Pistons to a title, but might have coached the team out of another. The way the team started this year gives strong evidence that last year's drama really held them back.

8. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Have to disagree. JAX still gets the most minutes, Artest is gone, and Indy's young guys (Granger and Harrison in particular) are beginning to show some game BECAUSE of the hospital thing. Whether RC would have been playing them by choice might be another story.
    Still wonder if Flip is gonna play some bench before he has to.

9. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Oh Bills, you're the best:laugh: . On another cake, I mean subject (this cake thing is sticky:eyebrows: ), I agree with motown when he said Flip is missing the chance to use the bench early in the game. The idea is to have your starters fresh for the final push on the 4th Q(or to contain the final push from the other team), and what we are seeing is dead legs at the end of the game. Good call, Motown.

10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

When RC ruled the pistons he did some things that most coaches tend to do let your vets get it done. Throw in the fact that RC was a new head coach who is he gonna turn to, his vets to help them win games.

The whole Curry Tay thing is pretty simple imo Curry was a vet he got vet calls and played hard as hell on defense. The whole piston identity was we are a defensive team. I don’t know that Tay would have been as good of a player if he had gotten the nod over Curry. Tay came out in the playoffs and basically showed RC he was ready but I don’t think he showed that in his five starts earlier in the year.

I will admit I thought it was a mistake to let RC go. We had 2 50 win seasons, we were making progress in the playoffs, and basically we were headed in the right direction.

LB was handed the pistons and if the Sheed deal had not gone down we would have been exactly where we were, a good team headed in the right direction but not able to get over the hump. We got Sheed and we tore it up and won end of story. If the Sheed deal had not happened I don’t see how any of you can say without a doubt we would have still won. With that said, LB enjoy N.Y.

While Flip has not made good on his bench promises I don’t hold it against him. Would I like to see the bench get used more yes. Am I gonna argue with the coach who has the best team in the NBA right now no. The fact that the starters get lazy here and there pisses me off. I would put the bench in immediately and yell at the guys till I passed out. Flip might not sub who we want when we want or how we want but we are winning. When we lose the excuse is always oh they were tired or they played to much the other night. BS BS BS I would love to have the player’s schedule. Work 6 days a week 12 hours a day busting your butt in a steel mill and trust me you will understand the meaning of tired.

Flip has this team exactly where it needs to be NO 1 cut the dude some slack.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Or try spending 7 hours a day in an air conditioned cube with restrictions on your internet usage... THAT is tired.

linwood likes this.
  12. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Think maybe the Greeks and Romans had something to do with those aphorisms. And you're right aphorisms can be interpreted anyway you want. For example My neighbor thinks that Micro's quoted aphorism means "Bob Lanier didn't have size 22 shoes. He wore a gentlemanly 10 AA." He also thinks the one I am currently quoting means, that I-96 east of Telegraph has too many potholes. Yes, aphorisms are not just marvelous but absolutely protean--pun intended.

By the way how do you like the following aphorisms: Thus, Spoke Zarathustra, On the Geneology Of Morals, The Case Of Wagner, The Gay Science (Was it published in San Francisco?), The Birth Of Tragedy, etc., etc.

No, Nietsche is not all bad. He's the most fecund source of twentieth century thought in politics, art, and the social sciences.

He's the antithesis of Nazism and a great literary figure.:nod:

Oh yeah, Rick Carlisle. I want him back for his radiant smile.

13. max

max All-Star

I want him back too. I am starting to miss those Five-O ( 50 win ) seasons and no chance in the post-season. Yea - lets go back.

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Max, I detect some sarcasm there. What you fail to understand, is that RC Devolped the Bench. He may not have achieved glory in the Postseason, but he provided something even more important: Hope.

You see, every time some cat like Ratko Varda, Pepe Sanchez or Brian Cardinal could get 5 minutes of playing time in an NBA game, it inspired the rest of us regular folk. I mean, if Pepe could get 5 minutes with the pro's, I should be able to get a couple minutes in at the local Rec Center or neighborhood park.

Just like the scrubs on the bench, we just have to keep the faith, keep practicing, and wait for a kind hearted coach to call our number. And when he does, we will be ready. (que inspirational music)

"Because I have patiently waited. :bored:

And I have practiced. :playball:

I have listened to my coach :blah:

I have spent hours and hours watching game tape. :ranger::confused:

I have devised new strategies. :tinfoil3:
    I have stood, wide open, at halfcourt waiting for the pass,:attention knowing I can make the game winning shot :fingerscr

I am willing to take the charge:fear:, even though there are no refs.

I will put my body on the line and I will give my all for the team.:bolt: (unless it's just garbage time)

Then people will see. They will be sorry they ever doubted me!:hail::humble:

Or maybe people are just uncomfortable with winning.

coynejeremy likes this.
  15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In what I expect, given the crowd on this forum, will come as a wildly extravagant, pie-eyed endorsement of the Flip era, I hereby declare:

Watching Pistons games this season leaves me frustrated less frequently than at any time in the past.

16. max

max All-Star

Sarcasism? Do you know how much Sanchez, Varda and Cardinal played? I think Varda got about 5 minutes total that one year. Rick never diverged from his 9-man set. Never.

linwood likes this.
  17. DaviaG-Rap

It's impossible to look at that picture of Mike Myers and not feel a swelling of joy inside. Kind of like the grinch, your heart grows 3 sizes.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Did anyone actually miss Carlisle's stagnant offense?... it was like a turd in a punch bowl... it was nasty no matter how you tried to spice it up.
    His lack of creativity will always be his down fall in the playoffs when defenses know where the next pass is going.
    Gimme 105 to 100 W's anyday.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good stuff.

20. max

max All-Star

7 years ago? C'mon! I cant even remember writing that.