If you had to trade Greg Monroe...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kerghan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Now let me first say I am not advocating that we trade Greg Monroe. I am simply asking if a trade was to occur who would you want in return.

This scenario has been brought up countless times by fans and media alike. We all know the reasons why this is being discussed so there is no point going into that again.

Rondo is currently the main media target it seems so let's rule him out for now since we know the pro's and con's regarding him.

To get the ball rolling I'll throw out a few of ideas for who Detroit may want in return for Greg Monroe.

Golden State trades Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green for Greg Monroe.
    GS has gone all in with Andre Iguodala but has health issues up front with Bogut and Lee.

San Antonio trades Kawhi Leonard for Greg Monroe.
    Where better for Moose to learn how to be the next big fundamental? Greg Popovic and Tim Duncan would be perfect mentors for Greg. Are they willing to give up a great perimeter defender for him?

Philadelphia trades 2014 1st round pick for Greg Monroe (They also have the Pelicans pick, which is just top-five protected).
    Moose will not make them good this year but gives them a great combo with Nerlens up front for the future. A top pick in the vaunted 2014 draft if we lose our pick to Charlotte?

Now I know we have expiring contracts and young moveable players oozing from our squad but just try and focus on what Greg Monroe could get and see what other ideas are out there.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I like this trade, but it would never happen. GSW would never give up that much depth for a guy who isn't as good at being David Lee as David Lee. He doesn't solve their help defense problems either.

Incredible trade and would probably give us one of the best defensive starting units in the league. But Dumars doesn't have what it takes and the Spurs don't give up assets that easy.

I never support trading known quantities for unknowns. Greg should be able to be resigned at 12-13m a year. He is better than a potential top 10 pick.

3. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for the feedback Panda.

Any ideas of your own that you think may suit?

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like the Kawhi Leonard on ALOT!. It would be a matter of selling Greg Monroe as the "next Tim Duncan".
    I think San Antonio is too smart for that. It's an awesome idea though!

If Philly would be willing to sweeten the pot a bit, I'd be into swapping Greg Monroe for what will likely be a top-5 pick in what may be the best draft since '03. Maybe something like Spencer Hawes (or Evan Turner) + Philly's 1st rounder for Monroe and Singler?

I'm not crazy about the idea of trading Monroe either but it's sorta fun having an player that could actually yield something valuable in a potential deal for a change.

5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sold on Barnes yet. He has potential, but he's not a great defender and his only asset is his slightly-above-average outside shooting; he's basically a marginally better Kyle Singler. And while I like Green, and he's a solid defender, he's a total liability on offense, possessing one of the worst eFGs in the leageu last year. Overall, I think this would be a downgrade.

I've been tooting this horn for a nearly 8 months now; I'm a total Monroe-for-Leonard hipster, and proud of it. I don't think San Antonio will do it now, but I would love that swap.

I started researching Philly, and I found something really interesting; Evan Turner and Brandon Knight are nearly identical. Seriously... look at this:
    [​IMG]

But I digress. I would consider swapping Monroe for Young and that protected 1st. That would give them a big man to pair with Noel, and in Young the Pistons would get another player similar to Josh Smith that can play the three and can actually shoot the three (.332 lifetime 3p%, which is average). I'm not sure that's enough, though.
    [/quote]

My ideal right now:
    Monroe, CV, and Stuckey for Pau Gasol.
    The Lakers are tanking this year, obviously, and are going to want to be able to entice Lebron James into playing for them next year. They get two expirings and Monroe, who is basically a younger version of what Pau gave them last year. The benefit is that Monroe counts against their cap next year at only $5 million or so. So if they sign James and another big free agent, they can then go over the cap to resign Monroe and give themselves their big three.
    So in 2014 they can put out a lineup of Lowry/Bryant/Parker/James/Monroe without going over the cap.

My second would be to take total advantage of Cleveland's sad desire to lure in James next year.
    Monroe for Earl Clark and an unprotected 2014 #1.
    Cleveland is not going to be a good team this year. They have a decent collection of parts that will help them try to lure in James. The thing is, those parts are not good enough on their own but Gilbert is just delusional enough to think that they are. Irving is not a good defensive player and is injury-prone. Thompson and Waiters are inconsistent. Zeller has already hit his ceiling. They trade Monroe for Clark, pairing him with Bynum for a solid center combo. Gilbert will think that this is enough, but they'll still be lottery-bound next year, and James won't opt out of playing in Miami (this is also the reality that the Lakers are not failing to recognize). Meanwhile, the Pistons get an unprotected #1 in a deep lottery and a guy in Earl Clark that is a decent backup big.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    First scenario: isn't Gasol a center and didn't he have problems playing together with Howard?
    Second scenario: why give up Monroe for a backup and an unproven commodity? Cleveland's pick is not going to be high, especially if Bynum can stay healthy. That team shouldn't be bad if their main players can stay off DL.

7. Laimbrane

Yeah, you're right about this. What the Pistons really need to do is flip for the wing equivalent of Monroe.

8. mikhail1973

I'd be in no hurry to do anything. I'd like to see how Drummond develops first and how 3 bigs mesh together on this roster before making any moves. Pistons have time.

9. Laimbrane

It's a gamble, though. The more information you get, the more information you give others. The Pistons have had plenty of time to see how they mesh; in practices, working with etc. If there's reason for optimism, the Pistons should keep him. If not, though, you have to sell high.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The only players I would trade Moose for (in order of preference):

- Durant
    - LeBron
    - Leonard
    - CP3
    - Harden

linwood likes this.
  11. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I would hate to give up Monroe for almost anything. However, in the event the Josh Smith/Drummond/Monroe doesn't pan out then I may entertain the idea.

My dream trade would involve a pass first point guard, namely Ricky Rubio.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like your list but I'd put Paul George right below LeBron and slightly above K-Leonard.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Aah yes, I forgot about that stud.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Cracks fingers ****LETS GET IT ON*****
    Well, if BK doesn't turn the corner we need an upgrade at the starting PG spot ----- Trade for Rondo. (BK, Monroe & JJ in exchange for Rondo)

If KCP doesn't pan out as a legit starting SG ----- Trade for Arron Afflalo. (Monroe & JJ, in exchange for Afflalo)

If BK and KCP work out, trade for a backup PF/C and draft pick(s), but if BK and KCP pan out I see absolutely no reason to trade Monroe.

My hope is that BK pans out. A starting lineup of: (An improved) BK, Afflalo, Melo, Smith and Drummond; backed up by Bynum, Billups, KCP, Singler, Pizza, and Mitchell ..................... WOW!!!!! That team is better than Miami, Chicago

HOWEVER......................
    I'm thoroughly convinced that we need to acquire Carmelo Anthony next summer (all haters HUSH!).
    So now (ideally) we're potentially looking at a starting lineup in 2014-15 of: Knight / KCP / Melo / Drummond / Smith.
    Coming off the bench we have solid backups in Bynum (PG), Billups (PG/SG), Singler (SG/SF), Pizza Guy (SF), Mitchell (PF) and Monroe (PF/C, who we can keep IF Joe can get JJ's contract off the books)........................Now that's a helluva team! A team that's also A LOT better than Miami, Brooklyn, Indy and Chicago.

15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

You had me until
    I'm not a hater. Carmelo is just not that great of a player. He doesn't make teams significantly better. He jacked up 3 more shots per game than anyone else in the league last season, including Kobe Bryant.

16. mikhail1973

Wow

17. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I like Melo, Smith, Drumm0nd MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Smith, Monroe, Drummond. Not even close IMHO. Better offense, about the same defense. AND we will get STAR calls to end the game. Melo is super clutch to. Just hasn't had the opportunity in BIG time games to show it. Pistons are where talented underachievers come to thrive. Heck its in the cities DNA,

The Panda likes this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I really like Rondo, but I think that Knight AND Monroe is a lot of value for a guy with a rep for having a bad attitude and a torn ACL.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him... I'm just not sure you have to give up quite that much to get him.

mikhail1973 likes this.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'll give it up because I'm convinced that Melo will certainly sign with us to play with- Rondo, Smith, Drummond and Billups.

linwood likes this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As much as I like Monroe, I don't think it's unreasonable to explore trade possibilities due to fit with Drummond. It's frustrating that we didn't test drive the combination last year to fully examine it, but there are obvious limitations on offense and Monroe is the weaker link on defense.

However, when people imagine Monroe gone and Smith/Drummond as the 4/5, they don't consider that AD can't play 40mpg and we would then face significant time playing small ball or with Smith/Kravtsov or Charlie V/ Kravtsov, etc. I really like how we can shorten our big man rotation without overburdening Smith/Monroe/ or Drum.

If we trade him, we will get major piece(s) back, so I'm not worried. May as well see what we have first though in case it's magical. If it's a bad fit, then we're not trading damaged goods, just a great player that doesn't mesh.

The Panda and Walter like this.