If you could pick any 12 current players to win one game..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 2, 2014.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pick up only.
    blueadams likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Actually no...I'd like a ruling on this by PF
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I hope you're not serious.
    Mogilny likes this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The reason I'm not crazy about it is that Europeans really do use food nicknames as insults against other nationalities. For instance, Germans call Italians "Spaghetti". Not in a "just for fun" way. There are other examples that I can't remember.
    Nemo likes this.
  5. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Jell-O guy
  6. Nemo

Then it lends itself to call Darth Matzo guy, and LaDre then becomes Popeye's Chicken Guy.
    I just don't like this style of referencing people, but if you OK this then...I'll get to thinking.
  7. roscoe36

We have always had a double standard when it comes to going after players, vs. other forum members. The reason why we are here is to discuss the Pistons and the NBA. Everyone is welcome to criticize the actors in that domain. What we are not here for is member on member nonsense.

I really don't like the "if you ok this ..." stuff. It's childish.

I don't want to have to make a ruling every time someone comes up with a nickname for a player. I don't want to tell people what they can and cannot say on this forum about the team and players on a case by case basis. I don't like political correctness, so I advise people to avoid saying anything awkward in the first place.

We allow Bucket of Turd. We allow Charlie Garbage. Where do we draw the line? Do I have to seek out and define and explain mal-intent when it comes to naming? Who decides, me? A council? A poll?

How ridiculous do we want to make this? Do I have to ask the originator of every nickname to explain why they gave that nickname, and then judge it? Do I have to censor out nicknames that migrate over from other Pistons' fan sites after determining they are inappropriate? How much work exactly do you want me to create for myself?

I think Pizza Guy is a horrible name, it has some pathetic undertone of nationality/race to it that is lame, the name itself is absolute crap considering the name does nothing to define or explain anything about the player, good or bad, exaggerated or stated plainly.

You're asking me to start actively censoring and editing on this forum, and you should think twice before asking me to embark down that road, because I can promise you, it will destroy PF.com.

As always, I reserve the right to kick anyone, at any time, for any reason, with no explanation. So, if someone thinks they can be ~edgy~ to test me, go for it.

We've got a good thing going here people, let's not screw it up.
  8. Nemo

I've always appreciated this forum and the effort you put behind it. I'd like to think that I can disagree with you at times.
    When you tire of me...just send me on my way. I'll be just fine. there's gotta be an Eagle's thread I can join.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

This thread was just brought to my attention. You guys really need to chill. This is getting ugly and the repercussions could be not good. . My advice is to please not say anything more on this topic.. If you're wise you won't even return to this thread. Just move on and catch your breath. :bath1:
    blueadams likes this.
  10. roscoe36

And you want a "ruling" on it. Right?

It's not complaining. You're complaining, and then making implicit threats that you're going to cook up offensive names if your issue isn't recognized.

I don't want to ban anyone but I get really tired of people trying to aggravate me to prove a point. I have zero tolerance for that.

If I decide Pizza Guy is an issue, do I need to ban people for using it? Or do you want me to edit every single post? Don't run from answering this clearly and definitively. You want something done, then spell out clearly what that is. You want this to be my problem, then tell me how YOU expect me to resolve it.
  11. roscoe36

No, I'd like to get to the bottom of Nemo's issue. He brought this up, let's resolve it.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Everyone should know when they cross the line. We aren't puppies and Roscoe/other mods shouldn't be expected to smack us when we are bad or cuddle us when we are hurt.

If you are going to make remarks which cross racial/ethnic/religious boundaries, do some god damn due diligence pick your words. It's really that simple. I don't really have a problem with stereotypes/religion bashing/silly names because the vast majority of it is innocent. It's born out of playfulness and not spite. But you have to define that through the tone of your writing, otherwise you just look like a tool.

The earlier example was ambiguous at best. Pizza Guy is not. We aren't calling him Pizza guy because we hate Italians. Same with bucket of turd. I don't dislike him because he has alopecia. I just think he plays basketbal like a sack of s***
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The best way to avoid trouble is to use insulting words the person doesn't understand.

If you're insulting a simpleton like Laimbeer you can use any word with more than one syllable. But for most people with over a 3rd grade education you need to be more creative using words like jementous, sluberdigullion, helminth, excerebrose, cacafuego, and poltroon.

Those all fit Laimbeer pretty well too but why waste it on him when you can just as easily confuse him with "dum dum". He gets really confused with the last half of that word.

Well, hopefully this helps...
    Walter, coynejeremy and The Panda like this.
  14. Nemo

I just wanted your opinion. Didn't need you to make a ruling. You've given your thoughts on the issue. You don't like the use of the phrase. That's all I needed to hear.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for saying all those nice things about me, Drath. You are a true fiend.
    Darth Tater likes this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I apologize if this is out of line, but I think a thread where we ask people why they came up with a particular nickname followed by us judging it is a great idea.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Didn't we start calling him the Pizza Guy because we spent the prior year calling Krackov from the Ukraine the Russian Guy?

We're making fun of ourselves.
    linwood and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not sure but I think I was the one who came up with "Pizza Guy".
    I'd like to apologize to pimple-faced high-school kids all over the U.S. for associating an Italian professional basketball player with their chosen vocation.
    Yes, it's a stupid nickname.
    That was the whole point.

I am a first generation ignorant American born of Dutch immigrants.
    Feel free to refer to me as "wooden shoe guy" or "windmill guy" - it won't hurt my feelings in the least.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wooden Shoe Guy seems like a good nickname for most of the Pistons describing their transition D.
    The Panda likes this.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jerebko's lateral quickness comes to mind.