If you could change one decision joe dumars made...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 6, 2009.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

actually your right... delt with him when he was in the developmental league a few years back and pushed to bring him in last summer...

Curry has said the right things more times then not in the last year, maybe just maybe after having a year under his belt and a summer to reflect on it he'll follow thru next year.

can always hope anyways
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If I am not mistaken, wasn't the workout in NY or NJ during the Eastern Conference finals with the Nets in 2003?? I know we found out that we were getting the # 2 pick then but seems like the workout was there too. With all respect to the late Will Robinson, I have to wonder who else was present at that workout that this can be blamed on?? I am thinking that Cola was there and he and Joe's BFF Mike Curry was the player who was there singing his praises :(

Even though the Nets didn't have a lottery pick, I am thinking Pistons nemesis Rod Thorn was probably there too, noticed how bad Darko was but convinced Joe that he was the real deal and Joe took him...:):stirthepot:
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, maybe he can turn the Lions around!
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, there was a buzz around the league about Milicic and I saw Joe give a dreamy look when asked a what if--he were available. Then, the number 2 dropped into the Pistons lap. Joe bit.

It is easy to see how one could get impressed in a workout. A 7 footer with mobility, who can shoot and dribble.

The east teams had been torn apart by Shaq and company for a few years so I am sure Joe wanted to get big.

But here is the rub: you can't use a number 2 on a guy who you haven't scouted out thoroughly or really seen play in a game.

Darko was a 10 to 29 pick depending upon your point of view but not a 2.

As a player, he has underachieved to say the least. And the pick is now hurting the Pistons as we don't have quality bigs to replace our aging bigs. We have low draft picks who play at the level they were draft: 25th and second rounder.

If I criticize Joe, it is not because he didn't get a star at the 25th pick or missed someone still available--that happens all the time. It is because he gambled on a number 2 pick. When was the last time the Pistons drafted that high?
  5. LA Dre

Agree that if needed a big, then Bosh should have been the man.

Pistons top picks results

Darko Milicic in 2003 # 2 pick ~probable hall of shame
    Grant Hill in 1994 at the third pick.~possible Hall of Fame
    Isaiah Thomas in 1981, 2nd pick ~in HOF
    Bob lanier in 1970 1st pick ~in HOF
    Jimmy Walker in 1967 1st pick
    Dave Bing in 1966 2nd pick ~in HOF
  6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

It may be that Joe felt that the Pistons were in a strong enough position to gamble with the players they already had. Of course, if that is what he was thinking, that was wrongheaded. It is difficult to imagine any team being so strong that they can afford that kind of a gamble. But since Joe has tended to (in my view) overrate his core players somewhat, it is possible that this was the rationale for his gamble.
  7. LA Dre

You are right...he overestimated draft picks in Rodney White, Darko, a coach in Curry and the development of Amir, Max, Alf and Stuckey and resilience of Billups, Rip, Sheed and Tay, thinking that Delk, Mo, Jarvis, Flip jr and Fabio were enough to get us over the hump once MJ, Memo and Corliss left, but alas it has produced some winning seasons and you can't expect to win a title every year when there are 29 other teams in the NBA, so we should be happy about the Pistons good times the past six years.... I am and I won't more:)
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

We need to get pass this pick. If Joe picks Wade, Bosh, or Carmelo, we not win the title in 04. LB benched James in Carmello in the olympics, what makes anyone think he wouldn't have benched them on the Pistons. Also Darko was happy to sit the first year, it was years 2 and on that upset him. No way any of those other guys would have been happy.

If we're going to concentrate on the mistakes Joe made, look at the ones AFTER we won a title, not before.
  9. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

You left out Mateen Cleeves, another first round bust (picked number 14 in 2000). I believe Joe D. had just come on board as GM when that pick was made.
  10. LA Dre

Yep after that, Joe made no more local home grown picks no matter how good they were.:)

Lets look at who was on the board selected after the Cleaves pick at 14

Turkoglu at 16
    Magliore at 19
    Mopete at 21
    Eddie House at 37
    Micheal Redd at 43

Also lets see who was available in 2001 after the Dumars took Rodney White at 9
    Joe Johnson @ 10
    Richard Jefferson @13
    Zach Randolph @ 19
    Gerald Wallace @ 25
    Dalembert @26
    Tony Parker @ 28
    Gilbert Arenas @ 31
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I know Im late, but GREAT analysis. Europeans have a success rate of 1-15!! Only ONE MVP(Dirk) and I think only four allstars( Petrovic, Dirk, Illgauskis and Ginobli). I can name maybe 10 GREAT European players in the last 10 years. And the EURO sux too! :pound:I miss the Duestche mark!
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I called the David Lee mistake on draft night! Rats!
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i CAN! I will be miserable for the rest of my life!! (Hope u can prove me wrong!:pound:)
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Ive said for YEARS, Locs, that Tay would hae been the best 6th man since Havlicek. He breathed life into this franchise when he came OFF the bench! Plus, melo would have had a young classy guy his 'age' to emulate. And as Iverson found out, we dont give much life to 'slackers' when u come to Motown! Melo would have seen Ben , Rip and Billups and their workout routines and would have been just fine here.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The face of that franchise will ALWAYS be DAVID THOMPSON! Dont get it twisted.:pound:
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

I think the Darko draft move was hyped up as bad more then it actually was. I'm a big believer that Larry Brown destroyed the euro kid's confidence. If that guy ended up playing with Nash under Mike D'Antoni you think he would have been a bust? I don't. His skills were off the charts for a prospect, off the charts.

It was a mistake to draft him to a gutty defefnsive team but beyond that Darko just gets a bad rap.
  18. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

I dunno, I can name 10 good Euro players for sure without even looking at google.

Gasol
    Gasol
    Calderone
    Delfino
    Hedo
    Peja
    Dirk
    Garbo
    Bargnani
    Belineli
    Tony Parker
    Ben Gordon
    Galinari
    Ilklauskus
    Songialia
    Azibuike
    Vuyacic
    Rudy Fernandez
    Sefalosha
    Okur
    Hedo
    Luol Deng

Thats like, what, 25? And those are only people from Europe who are in the league now. Its not including guys like one of the GOAT centers, Sabonis, or people from other regions at all like Yao or any of the awesome Argentinian players.

I think they get a bad rap honestly. Instead of thinking the euro's suck totally too I think we've gotta consider that a lot of NBA teams suck at develop and use them. It tooks a long time for Dallas to get how to use Dirk and Memphis Gasol.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The difference is ...I SAID "GREAT!!!!!!!" m:MusicBigGrin: From that list, my 10 would be: P Gasol, Tony Parker, Peja, Dirk, (Ben Gordon was drafted from UConn-doesnt count) and thats it . Z -Ill is not GREAT! Half of that list is 'barely' Good. ESPN highlights dont impress me. Sorry!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tony Pizzle.

Rik Smits

Peja

Kirilenko

Gasol

Memo