If you could change one decision joe dumars made...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 6, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My mental simulation tells me that LB would have found Melo immature and would have tried to break him down. This would have resulted in hard feelings and 2 years of scattered playing time with quick yanks out of the game after the first mistake.

LB would have criticized him constantly and would have used Melo's whining/ bad attitude to further justify the way that he was handling it.

After that, Melo would have been traded to Orlando for Carlos Arroyo and Kelvin Cato. Orlando would have tried to incorporate him, but it ultimately wouldn't have worked out and he would have ended up in Memphis.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Possible, but IMO not really

I don't know about that. It might have, but at the same time Tay's defense was a huge component of winning in 03-04, and i can't really blame Joe if he thought he was set at SF. An argument can be made that Bosh was what we needed, but would we have gotten Sheed then ? IMO, LB would have squeezed on or two more championships out of this group in the next few years and #1 wouldn't have mattered b/c it would have all been worth it even if DM didn't pan out and we started a rebuild.

edited to add;

Letting Corliss go ranks up there as well as a small but extremely stupid move.
  3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you on Bosh, although I think Wade would have been (the best) choice IMO. Tay was a starter because we had no one better, as he is now. I think Tay would make one hell of a 6th man. My point is, at the time, Melo was the one who everyone cosidered to be a lock. It wasn't a given that Wade and Bosh would turn out the way they did. Were as Melo was predicted to be the second best prospect in that draft.
  4. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Excellent point Tay! I never though of things in Back to the Future terms.............case closed. :pound:
  5. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

That's a pretty good list of Joe's biggest blunders. 4 draft mistakes and one "other" mistake. This sort of highlights Joe's lack of skill in the draft. If this current team is to rebuild, it is clear it will have to be through free agency and trades.

Anyway, to me the draft is such a crapshot, I tend not to get on GM's as much for draft mistakes. It's clear from the replies to this thread so far, that there are a million possible scenarios that could have played out had Joe taken someone other than Darko.

I think, had we kept LB, the results are somewhat more predictable. In the following years, we lost to the Heat, Cavs, and Celts in the ECF. I believe with a team coached by LB playing his way, we could have gotten past two of those teams, and then squashed Dallas for another title.

Obviously the locker-room termoil of keeping him makes everything unpredictable as well, but I think firing LB was Joe's (and the rest of the organization's) biggest mistake.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Taking Melo and keeping Chauncey would have been a boom to Melo's career. Chauncey coulda been shaping this kid for the last 5 or so seasons. His Piston DNA woulda been established by now. With that line-up, any coach out of LB, Flip, or Carlysle coulda won at least two ships...
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't want to argue in any way that Joe's drafting can't and shouldn't be criticized. And thinking about what single change you would make is kind of fun. Clearly there were many players in hindsight who have performed better than who the Pistons drafted. And perhaps in some cases (**cough Darko cough**) hindsight probably isn't required.

But, I bet you could take any team's draft history over a period of years and find the exact same missed players.
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Biggest blunder, not drafting Chris Bosh who they had brought in for an interview and realy wanted to play in detroit.

If Melo was our choice, then we would not have won a championship, we may not have gotten Sheed, Tay would not have blocked the Reggie Miller Shot, on and on and on.

Larry Brown was a product of his own demise. All he had to do was sit back, have a coke and a smile, and shut the @*&^ up. He was such a good coach, but ran his mouth entirely too much to the wrong people. Larry wanted more control than what Joe D was willing to give up, that's why that marriage didn't last.

Another huge blunder was not upgrading the roster that he had after we lost to the Spurs in the finals.

I am willing to bet you that every GM has made the same blunders and are constantly thinking about the shoulda, coulda, woulda especially the GM's who don't have anything hanging from their rafters in the forms of championships. We do have a few.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You want your GM to have a good batting average. Joe is batting about .750.

1 mistake for every 3 solid moves.
  10. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

who sold Joe D on Darko? I hope he is fired or not a consultant were using any longer!

Was it someone on the Nuggets payroll? lol
  11. Nemo

I'd be interested in a list showing this percentage.:pound:
  12. Nemo

I like this analysis also...:)
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Believing you can develop a player without playing him. Joe has done this for 7 years and its his biggest mistake. How do you draft a project on a playoff team and figure he's going to develop? Where will he fit in? How can he make mistakes? He can't. He's tried this with Darko and Amir and it hasn't worked. I think he's realized this and that's why Billups is gone and Stuckey is starting.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was going to argue the opposite, that the problem was overestimating the talent level and then figuring out there wasn't anything to develop, but the Stuckey thing is an interesting point. Could be.

I wonder though if there might not be some middle ground between planting a guy on the bench for years and dumping a semi-rookie (half an NBA season played) right into the frying pan.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

IIRC, Caramello volutarily cancelled his workout as a result of being pissed at the likelihood of Joe D taking Darko. That probably sealed Joe's decision as far as attitude was concerned.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think it would have. With the Pistons, he would've been the talented rookie coming off the bench challenging the 6th man of the year award. At Denver, he immediately became the face of the franchise.
  17. Walter

LB = Yes
    RC = Probably
    Flip = No way.
  18. Walter

It was Michael Curry.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The late Mr Robinson if i am correct... along with everyother front office personal, coach and player that was present for that workout.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Curry was supposedly the one who made a push for the Pistons to get Will Bynum. If that is true, maybe he has a good eye.