If we resign Monroe and let Stuckey/Charlie V go how much will we have in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe Dumars does not let assets walk.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

When you do that (let Moose and Stuckey walk - and not resign CV :cold:), what are we looking at? Who do we target? Probably a stud SF since that's huge gaping hole we have in our lineup. Here's the list of FAs this summer:
    2014 NBA Free Agents | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Now looking at this list, the player we target should give us more than what we get from Moose+Stuckey combination. Only the following SFs stand out from that list:

Luol Deng
    LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony

LeBron's not coming here for sure. Melo and Deng are potential targets. It might be possible to add Deng and keep Moose. It would be a tough sell though as Moose would need to settle for less money and a bench role.

Now here are some SFs that we can go after and would certainly be able to keep Moose:

Khris Middleton
    Chandler Parsons
    Danny Granger (big question mark)
    Trevor Ariza

But, do any of these do us any good? Does it even make sense to go after these smaller targets and keep Moose before we figure out how we will handle the Moose-Dre-Smith rotation? Probably not.

Here are some of the other standouts from that list (again, those players that would give us more than Moose+Stuckey)

Evan Turner (which is a stretch)
    Zach Randolph (a wash with Moose IMO)
    Pau Gasol (too old)
    Chris Bosh

3 out of that 4 will give us the same problems we currently have. Oddly enough, the problem we have with Moose is Josh Smith's inability to play the 3.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thinking about this a little more. If Moose stays and accepts a bench role, multiple options open up for us (but that's a big if).

Option 1: Chandler Parsons & Moose
    Parsons would be a good logical target for us. If we were to swap Moose with Parsons in our current lineup we'd have: Jennings-Pope-Parsons-Smith-Drummond. The problem with Parsons is that he's not that good defensively, but he's a terrific offensive player. Same thing as Moose, but this guy has range. If we had Smith working the post instead of Moose and Parsons jacking up threes instead of Smith, we'd be in better shape. Our bench would be Teen Wolf, Singler, JJ/Gigi, Jorts/Mitchell, Moose.

Option 2: Carmelo Anthony
    If we go all out for Melo, then we'd have Jennings-Pope-Melo-Smith-Drummond. That's an all-star front line with slightly above average guards. Our bench become then is a little thin though with: Teen Wolf, Kyle Singler, JJ/Gigi, Jorts/Mitchell. Still a better team than option 1. The problem is, Melo. He's everything we don't like about Moose: a good scorer who gets his/a lazy defender that doesn't help his team win games.

Option 3: Luol Deng & Moose
    Let's say we somehow signed Deng and were able to keep Moose. Then you have Jennings-Pope-Deng-Smith-Drummond as your starters, and essentially the same bench as Option 1. This might be a more desirable option though due to the better defense Deng provides. His age is a concern though.

BTW, I didn't include any scenarios where we kept Stuckey. He's been playing great so far, but I can't help but think it's a contract year thing. I just don't trust that kid.
    BillLaimbeer and coynejeremy like this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings/Melo would be great if we were allowed to have 2 basketballs.
  5. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Trevor Ariza on our team would be really intriguing. I think he's an underrated defender and he can really shoot. Defense and shooting is what we're sorely lacking and Ariza can give us both for a relatively cheap contract. I would even suggest perhaps trading one of our expiring contracts for him as it looks like the Wizards are making him available.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Who are some SF's on poor defensive teams that might be hidden gems on the defensive end?
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

In an ideal world, you S&T him.
    Ok, I know KGREG loves Melo and has been trying to get him here, but its not happening.
    1. NY can offer him more money
    2. Its New York
    3. Its not Detroit
    4. He gets to live in New York
    5. Something something, crowds at MSG
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If be ok with melo if jennings was chris paul.

Paul
    Pope
    Melo
    Smith
    Drum

That would bee a nice mix of d and o.
  9. The Panda

Sorry, I meant to say, the guy we go after has to be Luol Deng. After this offseason, he will be 29 years old. I would be very happy to offer him a 4 year contract at $10m/yr.

He can shoot 3's. He is a good defender. He can rebound, he can pass. His turnovers are up this year, but he has taken on much more offensive load. The only worry I have is that he seems just a little injury prone, but I think that is a largely because of Thibs way overplaying him.

Also, the Bulls won't resign him while they still have Boozers contract....
    KGREG likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

29-33 isn't terrible. Need some vets on the court.

Does seem like the obvious target. Easy geographical move for him too.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The best option, IMHO, is to trade Moose. He's a 15/10 guy at a premium position, but he's a defensive liability and highly unlikely to be happy coming off the bench. I don't think you're going to get more value on the court than you would from a trade, and when that's the case, you have to jump on it.

I think Denver would consider a swap of him for Jordan Hamilton, Timofey Mozgov (for the cap) and their 1st. They're competing for a playoff spot, need rebounding, and have Chandler starting above Hamilton. Hamilton, meanwhile, is a dangerous three-point shooter, solid defender, and would fit the Pistons' starting 5 needs much better than Moose.
  12. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I like him but if we're gonna give up Monroe, I'd rather they do it for Avery Bradley from the Celtics. He's an amazing defender, Pope and him guarding the wing would be so fun to watch.
    The Panda likes this.
  13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just a thought here, but is Josh Smith untradeable with his current contract (and state of play)? At this point, I'd MUCH rather have Deng than Smith. Better defender, needs the ball less on offensive, etc, etc.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Agreed
  15. Laimbrane

This is why there's no real point in hoping to trade him. Better to try and move pieces so that he's down low rather than out high (where he clearly is not as effective).
  16. Laimbrane

Bradley is a 2 (and a small one at that), and Pope isn't strong enough to guard guys like Lebron. Additionally, all Bradley can really do is play defense; he's almost as inefficient a shooter as Jennings, and the last thing the Pistons need is another crappy shooter on a team full of crappy shooters.

No, the Pistons' clear deficiency is at SF. They need to target a team with a need for a productive scoring big man, a glut of small forwards, and a willingness to compete this year (that number is actually quite small). Trade someone overrated (Monroe) to get someone underrated (like Hamilton) and a pick in a deep draft. This team is not going to compete against the better teams in the Eastern Conference, much less the Western one.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The NO announcers contrasted Dumard's strong drafting record versus his weak FA signings last night. It does make you wonder where the Pistons could be if they signed a couple cheaper 3 and D guys who could actually play the 3 spot effectively.
  18. Laimbrane

It's weird, because he got Billups in free agency, Prince in the draft, traded for Sheed, Hamilton, and Wallace, and rode those guys to title contention based on them being a balanced, cohesive squad where each player's individual strengths complemented the team as a whole. Now, though, he has a butt-load of talent that is the exact opposite of a cohesive whole. I'm still waiting for him to make a Sheed-like trade where he fills in that last remaining gap and make them a complete team. He could have done that by resigning Jose Calderon and signing Kyle Korver, who - with KCP, Monroe, and Drummond - would have given them a REALLY good offensive team, but instead he went with Jennings and Smith, who don't complement what they have AT ALL, and he could have had them BOTH for the price of Josh Smith.

I really think he misses John Hammond.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think he can be had for $10M/yr. especially when you look at the money that Iggy and Tyreke Evans got over the summer.
  20. The Panda

It looks like people think he will go for around 3/35m. Throwing in an extra year may be attractive for him. Maybe we go 4/44m. Its still a good contract for a good player.