if the orlando pick land at 15 or 16

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Mar 16, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Less athletic Delfino? Wow.

I'll fail Acker on defense, giving Delfino the benefit of the doubt because he has been defending NBA talent, but Acker is a great ballhandler, can shoot with range, can post up and hit the turnaround jay, finish at the rim and rebound like a mother.

We won't even bring up that Alex is a 90%er. By that I mean, in college and in Europe, he plays upwards of 90% of the minutes at his position.

Delf will "wow" you every couple games with a nice move or excellent finish, but Acker all around is a superior scorer and without looking like a ballhog.

I guess it depends on what your definition of an athlete is. If it is speed, durability, body control and vertical, I can't see this being less than a tie.
  2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I guess I'm talking about them both as prospects, before Delfino did his knee.

Acker lacks lateral quickness, not good when he'll be checking 1's and 2's. If he was a good enough athlete he'd be on the roster instead of Flip Jr.

I watched that "Acker tracker "clip and saw nothing really 'above the rim' and saw a lot of stuff nearly blocked which would have resulted in SPALDING across the front of his face in the league.

He's got adequate wheels nothing special, and gets it done with herky jerky stuff like Steve Smith did.

Acker would have no chance vs James or Wade and I've seen Delfino do an excellent job against both of them at times.

But hey, opinions are like rectums, everybodies got one and almost all of them stink.
  3. roscoe36

The only reason Alex is not on the roster (IMO) is because he got more (guaranteed) money and minutes in Europe. Also, he's a 2, not a 1 and we wanted PG depth, which the Pistons claim to be convinced Flip Murray can provide.

I guess we will see how it shakes out.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Remember that those highlight clips were only 1 game per video. If you take any guy on the Pistons, it is hard to turn 1 game into a highlight video for them. It usually takes a whole season.

The best one is the R2 video I think. It shows his shooting, his ability to push the ball on the break, his rebounding, his lateral quickness (taking a great charge on the baseline), and his general intensity.

Although he's not a point guard, he has a lot more 1 in him than Rip does.
  5. Taco John

Taco John First Round Draft Pick

If Lindsey and Murray don't come back, there will be a place for both Acker and a rookie point guard, let's say Acie Law. Against weaker defensive point guards, you would bring in Acker to attack him, and when you wanted to protect the ball better, get others involved, and key a defensive run, bring in the other to spell Billups, who, btw, hasn't quite yet been re-signed.
  6. roscoe36

Great point Taco John.
  7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Just have to assume Billups gets re-signed.

If he doesn't it's like Nuclear winter, nothing else matters much anyways.

They should blow it up besides maybe Rip, def Tay and Amir and Max and start over then.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

We're closer to this than many here think..............
  9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

DraftExpress Profile: Alex Acker

DraftExpress Profile: Alex Acker

10. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I think that Acker will be a fine reserve 2 in the L. I don't think that he has the upside of Delfino. I believe that Delfino would probably be getting 17-18 points a game, in addition to his solid all around play, if you started him and played him 38 minutes.

As for that #15, I want Javaris Crittenton. That kid could be another Gary Payton, if he had the right mentor. Say... someone who's name rhymes with Chauncey.
  11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Dude...what did they do with the picture of Acker from that link of yours?

He looks like one of those guys from "Enemy Mine".

[​IMG]
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was really a bad photo. Very fish facey. Looks like the smile I gave in my high school year book.
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

14. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

I hope we draft at least one white guy in the draft. I swear the Pistons only white player is Carlos Delfino. I wonder if we have the least amount of white players of any NBA team. I'm not being racist against black players at all. They're amazing players, but it would be nice to get some diversity once in a while.
  15. roscoe36

I don't think we should be worried about diversity. Just draft the best possible athlete regardless of colour.

At one time, we had Delfino, Arroyo and Darko. That's pretty diverse.
  16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

The only diversity we need is guys who can shoot the bomb, guys who can take it to the hole, guys who can post up and hit that turnaround Budda J, guys who can play clamp-down D, guys who can play perimeter D, guys who can patrol the paint, etc. That's the kind of diversity we need. :)
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I used to get in arguments in the other forum with people about this. I figured anybody who was an NBA fan couldn't care less about the color of the player. Some folks (the late LA Sam for one) said that part of drafting Darko was because his pale skin would be a marketing hook for fans.

Seems ridiculous to me that anyone would care about anything other than the skill and psychological soundness of a player.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I just want a guy that can make an impact and is allowed to make an impact. I like how Maxiell is showing up. I hope we don't have to wait as long for the next guy.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm hoping for an Asian player.
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

In defense of LA Sam, (he's not really late is he?) I don't think he actually believed the theory's merits as much as he was wracking his brain trying to figure out why Joe passed on Wade, Carmelo, and Bosh.