If I was the Pistons GM this summer..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 30, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Alright. That's (Stuckey) it.

I want to get what I would've done this off-season on record, officially, before Joe-D turns this into an even bigger mess in his farewell season.

Alternate universe. Tom Gores loses patience with Joe-D after last season. Cans him. Has a cereal-box contest to become the new GM ('Eddie'-style, great pub, might as well anyways). I win.

#1) Head coach hire. I do the smart, simple thing. I hire the best available coach on the planet. Larry Brown. Mr. Davidson's no longer with us. Joe-D's gone. Why not? There's little to no question that he was indeed the best available (to us - no Phil Jackson, etc.) coach on the market this off-season. I love the idea of Sheed coming in as an assistant. I think Larry would like it too. I think Sheed would like soaking in Larry. As for the other assistants on the staff, I could get into it, but I won't bother. Jerry Sloan would've worked too.

#2) Draft. I do the smart, simple thing (again). I draft Trey Burke #8 overall. Second round, again, I could get into it, but I won't bother - - I don't dislike either of our picks, so I'll stick with them.

#3) Free Agency. I do the smart, simple thing (yet again). I buy-out Stuckey. I amnesty Villanueva. I break the bank and overpay for Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala - - seriously, what young all-star studs are ever going to sign in Detroit for fair dollar??. This is my roster.

C: A. Drummond, S. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: J. Smith, L. Middleton
    SG: A. Iguodala, K. Singler, K. English
    PG: T. Burke, B. Knight, P. Siva

...There's probably still some cap-space available after that, I believe the MLE and LLE too. Two roster spots remaining. I'd probably look for someone to push Singler and Middleton for PT when I go big. Someone who can shoot from outside, is athletic, and is at least a decent defender. Seems to be plenty of that on the market, cheap. I might look for a cheap veteran point guard to help mentor Burke. I might look for a decent cheap third big man. And there you go.

Probably the second best roster in the East (/ the league). If the Heat are stumbling at the gate, you might even be able to get through and win it all. If things click, of course. Iggy is as good a matchup as there is for Wade. Smith is as good a matchup as there is for LeBron. Both are tremendous scorers in their own right offensively. Drummond and Monroe put to shame whatever the Heat have out there at the 4 and the 5. Burke puts to shame whatever the Heat have at point. Bench, I think, is better too.
  2. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

Moar threads, please
  3. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

If we are gonna struggle net year, why not wait for a better FA class to even worry about CV and Stuckey? What does buying them out now accomplish?

CV can still spread the floor, because Drummond, Monroe, and even Iggy/J-Smoove sure don't. Rodney Stuckey can be, well, Corey Maggette.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Sweet. Have fun being a 6,7 or 8 seed and losing in the first round. No signing bar Chris Paul makes this team a contender.

Remember how everyone was talking about how Burke doesn't look athletic against the people he matches up against. Now imagine him trying to guard incredibly athletic and talented point guards like D Rose or Westbrook. He would get torched over and over and over and over. I don't necessarily agree with the KCP pick, but I do agree that we shouldn't have drafted Burke. He isn't Chris Paul 2.0. Not even close.

2nd best roster in the league? Ha you must be joking. Even if we assume that Burke works out to be anything of an offensive force, which he probably wont, you have stuck Smith at the 3 which means he has all that space to jack 20 footers. And he will. So expect a TS% of roughly .05%. Alternatively, we have Drum, Moose and Smith clogging the lane, Iggy trying to slash through the traffic jam and Burke being trapped on the 45 every time he moves. Good luck drawing up an offense for that. If we matched up against the Heat, Burke would have 20 turnovers and Cole and Chalmers would walk around him. Drum and Monroe putting what, Haslem and Bosh to shame? I think you forget that Bosh is probably one of the best big men in the league. By a long way too. And by the way, to stop the Heat you need team defense, not ISO.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would rather too many rather than too few.
    kpaav likes this.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There are very few signings that non-playoff teams can make that would turn them into contenders.

Please try to understand that there are 30 teams all vying for the position of champion, and that the actual pool of champions is pretty shallow.

There is a process to building and getting a team over the top. When it happens, it is magical, although fans seem to take success for granted.

The Pistons immediate goal is making the playoffs. We're young enough, we can put a 5 or 6 year run together, if we continue to make incremental, forward progress.

When you're close, that's when you dump your great coach for Larry Brown and trade a 1/3 of your roster for Rasheed Wallace. And then you get over the hump with an amazing block by Tayshaun Prince.

My point is, success is fleeting, it's long to develop (unless you can sign LBJ to play with Wade) and it's not guaranteed. Savor the build up, the let down is pure misery.
    Pwn Toney, Walter and round like this.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Agreed, but blowing a ton of cash at this point in the building of the team will short circuit us when it comes time to reup our young talent, if we cut CV and Stuckey and then give two max contracts this summer our window to win is now the next few years before we have to watch Monroe and Drummond leave to be great players for another team.

Joe has to walk the line between short term and long term goals, something I am afraid most folks are losing sight of.
    linwood likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I get the feeling that JD needs to have a good season this year. I also believe that BoT and Stuck are sucking the life out of this team.
    They have a negative impact on the morale of the players. I agree that we don't have to spend the money this off-season of FAs.
    That in fact just removing those 2 and replacing them with warm bodies with positive attitudes (Bynum, ect.) will allow us to be a playoff team.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

every team has morale suckers. It's up to the top players to lead.
    brofmfa likes this.
  10. Nemo

Name these players please....
    I don't see them. Seems to me that Stuckey thinks he's one of the top players/leaders.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

monroe, calderon, iguadala, bynum.
  12. Nemo

Excellent list....I hope to have at least three of these guys on the team........
    If it's just Monroe...then Stuckey still has power in the locker room.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A dream scenario:
    I'd sign Josh Smith. 5 years $75M in a sign and trade where Atlanta takes back CV in the deal.
    I'd sign Andre Igoudala. 5 years $62.5M in a sign and trade where Denver takes back Rodney Stuckey.
    I'd sign Calderon 3 years $18M.
    Nemo likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

My team:
    PG: Calderon - Knight - Siva
    SG: KCP - English
    SG: Iggy -Middleton - Singler
    PF: Smith - Mitchell - Jonas
    C: Monroe - Drummond - TRG
  15. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Is Andre the SG? If so man that's a long, athletic, super defensive team. I like it.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KGreg is going small-ball with a 3-guard lineup.
  17. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I see the roster now. I guess we need the shooting from the SG to keep spacing. I won't be angry if Drummond can't start over Smith. Maxiel yes. Smith no.
    The Panda likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Calderon/ Knight/ Siva
    Iggy/ KCP/ English/ English
    Smith/ Iggy/ Mitchell/ Middleton/ Singler
    Monroe/ Smith/ Jerebko
    Drummond/ Monroe/ TRG

That's how I'd do the depth chart I think.

I don't think you can bring Drummond off the bench anymore. And with Iggy and Smith being able to play multiple positions and needing starters minutes, I think our rotation would be necessarily limited with Knight, Calderon, Iggy, KCP, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond getting 90% of the minutes. Mitchell probably gets most of the rest in non GT situations.

Knight and Calderon would probably be interchangeable as starters with that brutish line... although with slashers and limited shooters, Jose probably fits best. And on D, he'd be irrelevant. Nobody would score inside on us even if they blew by him.

It's unconventional, but really intriguing.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Singler goes from starter to 5th string?

Ken English to play with his father Kim?
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes. Of course, you'd probably just trade him if we got all those other guys.