1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

I Still Can't Believe The Pistons Gave Away Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Right. Good insight Savage. A somewhat new perspective on an old topic.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thats the post of the year as far as I'm concerned! Well said SS!

A great new perspective rather than the :deadhorse we're used to on this subject.

That reasoning just might satisfy the Darko lovers AND the haters.

3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Agree with all those agreeing.

4. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I have only one problem with having Darko play for a couple of years in Europe first.

What in the world would we have argued about for the past two years?

No, I agree. Either Darko or Larry Brown should have gone to Europe for a couple of years. The way things turned out, Darko would have been better off there.

OK, I agree that Darko should have played in Europe for a couple of years. I wonder what people would have said about a number 2 overall pick playing in Europe. I just don't think it would have set too well with a lot of fans. But Darko might still be a Piston.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko would not have gone for that. How can you tell him to play in Europe for 2 years after you draft him 2nd overall? Do you pay him for that? Then he comes back and only has 2 years left on his contract? It's a little different with a guy like Acker. If we lose him, oh well. If it works out, great.

Darko just got unlucky that he was drafted by a good team. The NBA is an OK place to develop your game if your team sucks and you can go out there and experiment with what does and doesn't work. That is usually the situation that top picks find themselves in.

I would say that he should have gone to college... but he would be much poorer right now if he did.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We would simply retain his rights and his 4 year contract would start once he joins the team... two years older with real PT under his belt.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was barely 18 when he was drafted. I think Acker was 22 or 23.

Yes, he was the #2 pick, but that doesn't change the fact that he had Ben, Sheed and Dice ahead of him on the depth chart.

I could be wrong, but I don't think most Pistons fans would have had a problem with him playing overseas for a year or two. I'd have been fine with it. (hmm... potentially poll worthy?)

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think we were misled by the predraft hype... "He is NBA ready, with a solid inside game"... when he got here he was bounced around by Ben & some 230Lb career scrub.

9. Subtle Savage

Subtle Savage Second Round Draft Pick

You don't pay him, because there isn't a contract. You just have his rights.

For example, Fran Vazquez was a #11 pick who decided to stay in Spain... the Magic wanted to kill themselves, but if some day Vazquez decided to play in the NBA, it would have to be with the Magic. Unless his rights got traded.

The player has to be one year without a contract outside the NBA, for the team who drafted him to lose the rights. And that never happens to drafted players. So the teams keep the Draft Rights forever...

An example: Roberto DueƱas, an enormous Spanish veteran center Drafted in 1997, who after years of injuries is playing his last years in pro bbl, and doesn't have even a remote chance of being in the NBA, was involved in the trade that gave the Heat Walker, Williams and Posey in 2005...

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At the time of the draft, Campbell, Okur and Ben where ahead of him- I still stick to it that it could have been a good pick because we had no need at any other player than a big- we drafted him so that he'd be our starting C once Ben declines or leaves but Joe traded him (why the heck did he do that, now that Ben's gone :mad: ). We could have a Darko who'd be on the rise next season, in the city that once loved him, where he knew all of his teammates and so on. I'm sure we'd have been quite happy with him if he only was still here...

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, who was the last Detroit athlete that didn't get his rights released? Barry Sanders I believe. That didn't work out so well.

I guess we also retained Glynny's rights too, right? Win-win there.

Nobody here thinks that Darko would have been royally pissed?

12. Subtle Savage

I don't know Darko's personality.
    But there wouldn't be a serious reason for him to get pissed... he was a 18 year old player, with no much experience in pro bbl. I think that him being European, and being lots of good Serbian players in European Leagues, he would have accepted playing in Europe, in the Spanish League for example.

But maybe I am wrong.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If he doesn't get paid, is not under contract, and gives the Pistons a one-way comittment, then he is completely risking his future without protection. That is why most college athletes ultimately decide to turn pro early- so they don't get injured.

Ideally, he would have gone to college first, grown up a bit, and then gone to the draft. But that would suck for the Pistons, because we'd be stuck with Carmello Anthony instead of that sweet 15th pick we're getting next year. Think of that pick as Darko coming back from Europe after 4 years of partying.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You guys are all forgeting, Darko was a jake.
    LB and Flip wouldn't let Darko sniff the NBA court as punishment. They ruined the 7 ft. gift JD threw at them.
    Besides everyone was tired of seeing Darko run through the facilities naked.

15. Subtle Savage

I see, he would be pissed... but he wouldn't have had much of an option.
    And in Europe he would have been paid well. Of course not like in the NBA.
    Drafting players and leaving them in Europe for some time is common. But doing it with a #2 pick, is not... but is not common either to draft with the #2 a player who everyone knows is not ready to play. :)

I still think Europe was the best choice, not for him only but for other young European players who need development.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There was also a large buyout that we paid to get Hemofarm to release him from his contract... Darko picked up some of this... The Pistons picked up the most the league would allow... and somehow negotiated the rest.... Just more $'s in the wind for Mr. D to absorb.
    Technically Darko could have played three years in Europe and another two in the D-League before lacing them up for the Pistons. .. Darko @ 23 would have been low risk.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is reality.

Darko probably did not have the money to buy himself out of Hemofarm.

So he would have been the Pistons until they were good and ready. However, as he got older, he would be less inclined to waste an entire year sitting out to get his NBA rights reset.

Strategically, the Pistons made a massive error, as they have continued to do with their International draft picks. I was really hyped on this last summer as I did a ton of personal research into how the Spurs manage their foreign picks, how they have managed to acquire so much talent both on their roster and under rights playing elsewhere.

Bottom line, Joe bought a Porsche when he had never driven anything but a Pinto. And then he smashed it into the safety barrier, falling off a cliff. Hopefully it is not a mistake he makes again. Young players are always better off playing at a lower level than sitting in the bigs. Baseball knows this, Hockey knows this, and football doesn't have a real farm system.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CB= Porsche
    Rip= Ferrari
    Tay= Escalade
    BBeen= Humvee
    Stack= Firebird
    G Hill= Lamborgini with a flat

19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Good ones, esp. Tay. Sheed surely is a '77 Coupe de Ville with the vinyl roof. Darko is a Jag, I'd say, Maxiell a mid-80s Volvo 240.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't know that JD had driven the Coupe de Ville [Sheed] at that time. However I'm sure he knows how to drive with a gangster lean.