I Still Can't Believe The Pistons Gave Away Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Aug 21, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nope, disagree. I think this simply says that Darko could not win the time that WAS available last season. There was alot of time for Darko, he just couldn't get out of Flip's doghouse enough to play. I'm not doubting that Detroit deflated this guy's confidence, but it seems to me that even when he did get into the game he was not overly impressive during the regular season. (Please don't come with the preseason lead the league in blocks arguement for the 1,000,000,000 time) Darko seemingly was never going to reach his potential here. He lost his confidence and he needed a fresh start. I seem to remember Dale Davis getting minutes ahead of Darko. What does this have to do with Ben Wallace? Nothing.

And if Joe was confident that Ben would be a Piston at the expense of Darko, he should have paid the friggin' money to keep him! If he doesn't have a contract, he has no guarantee that he has Ben. Joe's fault not Ben's. That's just bad business.

What competitive NBA allstar could handle that diminished role? or at least accept it without showing displeasure? Show me an allstar that watches his team struggle and doesn't voice his displeasure if he is not allowed to contribute like he believes he can. So easily we forget that it was Ben's outburst (although poorly done) that put life back into this team at the end of the season.

But that point is really superfulous, because here is the section you really need to pay attention to bballjay.

There was no way in hell that Ben was even remotely afraid of Darko stealing his minutes! lol! Honestly, you could probably count the fans on one hand in the entire Palace who were thinking..."we sure would have a better chance at winning if we swapped Ben for Darko." If Darko couldn't win minutes over Dale Davis, why would an All-star center and multiple winner of the Defensive Player of the Year award be sweating a player acknowledged by most of the league as one of the biggest draft busts in history?

Again, I just don't get this arguement.

You don't like Ben? I don't believe you. ;)

I grant you that.

I could say Darko is really a piece of wood. Then I could go on to explain that he really didn't play much for the Pistons because the coach mistook him for a coat rack. Although I could probably find someone who agrees with me, most would doubt my credibility. Unless of course I was kidding.

Bballjay you have to be kidding.

Otherwise I'm left to believe that you will just conjour up stories masked as facts to help support any arguement you have. If this is the case, engaging in a debate with you is pointless.

Actually I think I'll stop now.

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

there were no minutes to win on the pistons. no minutes at any position not just the center position. we started the season with a very capable 5 man second unit arroyo, delfino, mo evans, mcdyess and darko a unit that could hang with most teams that didn't make the playoffs starters. we ended the season with lindsey hunter and mcdyess. who earned minutes on the pistons??? dale davis got minutes because he's a vet not because he outplayed darko. i think ben would give up 6 minutes to dale davis before he gave him up to darko just because of the respect and lack of threat factors.

i agree trusting ben to sign for less and be loyal was a mistake by joe. if you don't think joe's motivation was to make ben happy then what was his motivation?? if joe had showcased arroyo and darko for 20 games he would have been able to get much much more than a measly 1st round pick. it won't even be a lottery pick.

i think the outburst doomed the team. it took the last bit of flips respect from the vets. it showed the rest of the league that that "pistons chemistry" was no longer. yeah ben wanted to contribute by getting more touches. i don't call bricks, dribbles off the foot, and missed free throws contribution.

joe accepted a diminished role. david robinson accepted a diminished role. karl malone accepted a diminished role. gary payton accepted a diminished role.

i have one very big reason. darko can hit free throws.

that's how we would have a better chance of winning if we swapped ben for darko. you have to check darko on offense that's why you have a better chance at winning. darko's man isn't allowed to zone up and destroy tay's and chauncey and sheeds post game. destroy rips curls and drives. flip is an offensive coach and darko has triple the offensive skills that ben has. i think ben did have something to worry about.

we will pick this debate up in 2 years. because you know i'm going to bring it up with darko is ripping up the league.

3. MotownPride

My response has nothing to do with the talent of Darko and everything to do with the fact that the reason Darko didn't make it with the Pistons had nothing to do with a covert sabotage plan constructed by Ben Wallace. For the love of God, Ben does not fear Darko! LMAO!

Yeah..yeah..yeah... Loyal, Smoyal...

...and Ben should not have trusted that the Pistons would show loyalty to him and sign him for a max contract. Oh yeah, that's right he didn't. Smart man! Pistons say sorry I don't think you're worth it, just business Ben. Ben says, okay well someone else thinks I am worth it. Sorry Pistons, just business.

In my opinion, Joe's motivation was to try to salvage something out of the Darko pick. That simple. Otherwise, why waste a number 2 pick on a guy you plan to trade once its time to resign Ben. If you're right and Joe traded Darko simply based on financial reasons, that's horrible planning.

I dunno about that. The Pistons rallied to a string of victories after that outburst so I don't see where that supports your arguement. The collapse happened in the postseason. There is definitely enough blame to spread around versus pinning it all on your whipping boy. On the contribution front, I think Ben might have been a little bit happier had he been given the opportunity to play in the last quarter of the elimination game. I do however agree with you with his offensive woes. Best way to get the rock is to improve your game. It is important to mention that Ben's ability to make a defensive contribution in an elimination game appears to have been completely overlooked in this equation. Gone apparently are the days of making defensive stops/turnovers creating easy buckets to erase a deficit. Todays Pistons try to shoot themselves out a hole. Is it any wonder why Ben was frustrated? The team is clearly offensively oriented now...so in order for Ben to fit in he needs to call for shots...his weakness. He no longer fits this Pistons mode and the Pistons did not care to watch him develop his offensive game.

....at the end of their careers. Ben just won a defensive player of the year award for Heavens sake. Weak comparisons. Very Weak.

So can my 12 year old nephew. Ben was at no risk of losing his spot to my nephew. Darko does not contribute as much as Ben in a game right now. Ben has a fresh defensive player of the year award and a fat contract to prove my point.

Again, no doubt you believe in Darko's skills. Its the rest of the world that still believes he has something to prove. Benching Ben for Darko last season would have landed Flip in the unemployment line immediately after that game.

Not necessary. I think Darko has an excellent chance at developing into a nice player now that he has brand new surroundings. And if you are really honest with yourself you will realize that Ben has more to do with Darko's success than his failures. Darko has studied under one of the greatest defensive players to grace this league. He should consider himself lucky.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We of the Darko Hall of Fame think Darko's all around game would blow BBeen and his DPOY off the court with 2 years of NBA exp. BBeen had every reason to be concerned. Did CB feel threatened by TDrib or Delk?
    Does Tay or Rip feel threatened by Fino or Mo? No. And they aren't 2 picks either. Why did JD get Darko, because great big men are hard to find.
    It's going to be rough reading the DarkoHOF posts this year. We may have to resort to some banning!
    Yeah BBeen did teach Darko something: Go out and make your own way, don't sit on the bench and let someone or something block your game.

5. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

it really hurts to think about that draft, our selection, how we developed that selection, and then how we traded him away for nothing.

does anyone have a good explination of what went wrong?

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

First, I agree with everything BBall Jay said.

2nd, this may go down as one of the dumbest NBA moves ever. You don't get involved a land war in Asia, you don't gamble with a Sicillian when life is on the line, and you never, ever, give away a 7 footer with talent.

BTW, I've got an idea for people to get over Darko, haters and lovers. We should start a Drew Henson thread and debate how Bill Parcells never gave him a chance, how Dallas will regret having released him for the Bill's pet Romo, how well Drew looked playing international football this summer, and how Drew will be starting a dynasty with the [STRIKE]Orlando[/STRIKE]Cleveland Browns or Cincinatti Bengals next year.

7. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

It's not always about ability, but sometimes about attitude. Ben and Darko both ended up with attitude problems that were detrimental to the Pistons. Sometimes a change of teams can be positive for a player and sometimes negative . We willl have to wait and see what happens with Ben and Darko. Joe Dumars seems to have a positive influence on new Pistons.. I hope this is the case with Nazr and Flip. We need to move on!

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

----
    I doubt he'd pick up a whiner.

9. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

Here is a simpler put question...... will Ben outplay Darko head to head? I think not............. If you could transplant Ben's heart into Darko's body you might really have something.

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Darko 24 and 12 vs Argentina

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Howard_Competing_for_Team_USA-185133-800.html

By the way.

Anyone know where Rodney White is playing these days?

Okay guys.

No more Darko posts from me until the season starts.

Hope everyone is having a great summer after that humuliating loss to Caddy Shack and Wade and Co.

Looking forward to a fun season. It will be exciting to see the young guys start to develop

:):):)

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't believe that Darko didn't give the Pistons a refund!

(just kidding, but you know some people were thinking it...)

12. buddahfan

Good point.

My only question is. How much of Darko's attitude with the Pistons was a result of Brown and Darko's teammates attitude towards him? A foreigner and and a teenager to boot whose culture is obviously different from that of the Piston core players.

My sense of it is that for some reason, even though Dumars has tried hard, Europeans have never integrated well into the Piston culture.

Hopefully Delfino's play and "Playing Time" will improve enough this year to prove me wrong.

13. buddahfan

I know Delfino is Agentinian but I believe that he was playing in Europe when the Pistons signed him and not in Argentina except for world competition.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-------------
    What about the Blocks, Assists, Steals and Personal Fouls.
    Don't deny us of his Piston DNA. Does he still have it? Did he ever have any?

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Certainly he has nice upside... the thing I'll be watching is if he learns to not overcomit on block shots... this often leads to easy buckets or FT's... he seems like a smart kid though.

16. Subtle Savage

Subtle Savage Second Round Draft Pick

Delfino left Argentina being a 17 year old. Played in the Italian League for Reggio Calabria and Fortitudo Bologna. With the team of Bologna got to the final of the Euroleague.

About Darko. I don't think the big mistake was in drafting him but in getting him to Detroit too fast. He should have stayed in Europe developing his game for at least a couple of years.
    In the NBA the teams play lots of matches and have little training... well, in Europe is different, there is a lot of training and less matches, plus in Europe he would have played more, much more.
    Signing young European players with no experience in professional bbl, doesn't work. Those kids who have averages of 2.1pts and 2.3rbs in Europe, aren't ready to play in the NBA (like Tskitishvili, Lampe or Andriuskevicius). And the NBA is not a good place to develop your game if you don't have minutes of play. And in a contender like the Pistons it is just impossible.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SS, that is probably the most even handed Darko post I have ever read. And I agree completely. :)

18. MotownPride

Preach! :)

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Bingo... does Joe get a mulligan?

20. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Yes he does, if he can grab a quality player with the Orlando pick who ends up actually helping the team.