[HVC] SOUR NOTE: Where’s that darn switch???!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 21, 2007.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I respect and sometimes love how Low predicts debacles, collapses, and trends in undeachievement. May I remind everyone that it is much easier to look at these negative trends and predict the outcome. In other words it easier to be a pessimist as oppose to an optimist(much easier). I think a lot of us can find many reasons as to why the Pistons will lose this game and the series. It would be nice however if someone could observe postitive trends and in turn make more postive predictions in optimism. Anyone can be a doomsday prophet when things are going wrong, or if a team displays bad habits, how they will falter in the postseason. I know it is much easier to be negative in the anticipation of losing so you dont get let down, but this not the way to observe and percieve life, let alone basketball.

I just wish more of us could notice some of the things we actually did right in game 5 however few they are and explain how that could help us win game 6. That would be a nice change from "the sky is falling approach" all the time. Low, I think that you are vital to the sites identity but what I think we need right now is optimism and not chronic negativity. We should be trying our best to rally behind our team and display encouraging thoughts on how they could perform better more so then bash them repeatedly on the same deficiencies all the time. My 2 cents and the Pistons will get this game 6. You can take that to the bank.

2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I wish people could find some also. Feel free to please list some of those.

I don't accept checks or canadian coins. ;)

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Still think the Pistons win tonight, and we're all back to loving Flip as we should........This is a COMPLEX team to coach and Flip is the MAN......
    Last year we thought they died on the vine against Cleveland, but they came back to win the last two and clinch the series. All we gotta do is win one of the last two..........Gonna do it tonight. Remember, we're not hearing any stories of dissent in the locker room, nor are we reading anything about the coach getting ready to sign with anybody. We're ok because the KARMA is still good............

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

For those of you across the way, the current rate of exchg is around $1 USD = $1.12 CDN. Those Canadian coins are gaining in value! :)

5. Nemo

Only if you're buying Beaver Tails with chocolate.........:pound: :pound::pound:

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I would do that if this team would address those deficiencies instead of telling me I don't' know what I'm looking at and that they "know what they have to do...they just have to do it...blah blah blah."

...or stop smirking at the camera every time they make things more difficult for themselves and and start off with that "Well...you know us....if it ain't rough..." crap.

..or better yet, not mail in two consecutive performances in closeout games because they figure they can just turn it on when they finally feel like winning.

As a matter of fact, last night I was watching games 2 and 4 of the '89 ECF between DET and CHI and the defensive effort and intensity would embarrass this current team into retirement. I've even had to sit through callers to Stoney and Wojo telling us they would take this team over the Bad Boys. WHAT???!!!! Are you F'in kidding me???

I would love to see Zeke and the boys put a major league arse whoopin on these half-assers with solid man to man D and none of this running 2 and 3 guys to wherever the ball is crap.

Instead of aspiring to live up to the legacy of those championship years, they win one title and act like they've put the old legacy to sleep and have taken over the reigns....not a snowball's chance in hell. Until these guys stop mailing in performances and letting teams up off the mat, they will not even be close to matching the history that Joe D and the boys left behind.

7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Not crazy, I just don't completely buy in to the blame Flip only theory. The Pistons have played up and down since the RC days. Their act is getting tiresome. They were good enough to dial in for the first 7 games. It's more on the players than the coach IMO. They need to execute and Game 5 was a pathetic show of hustle and energy. I doubt Flip was standing around waiting for these guys to allow the Bulls to shoot at a 60-70% clip. I just don't understand motivating players who make $$$ money. If you are interested in doing a good job you do it irrespective of whether you like it or not. It's about personal pride and accountablity. Lot of the Pistons mistakes are fundamental issues i.e. not staying in front of their man due to lack of hustle, stopping ball movement etc.

8. Pwn Toney

If that were the case:

1) These guys wouldn't be having the problems they are. Joe D has provided this coach with all the tools to be successful (judging by two straight Finals trips with essentially this core of players), yet these guys NOW struggle with teams when they should be snapping their necks.

and

2) There would be no hall of fame coaches because any jackhole in a suit could get championships out of talented rosters. Good players only get you so far. You require a high caliber coach to put those players in the right position to succeed, highlight and take advantage of mismatches, and to properly motivate those same players at the correct times in order to maximize their talents and opportunities. You take that out of the equation, you have a great team on paper that consistently underachieves.

It's one of the points I've had to argue with Blazer fan for years because they kept trying to brag that they hadn't missed the playoffs in 20 years. As far as I'm concerned, SO WHAT. They NEVER won ANYTHING. They had a roster full of great players and never accomplished anything. Now, some fans might be happy with winning 50 games every year and storming into the 2nd round. But if that's all you have to look forward to, you're venturing into 90's Lions territory...competitive, but never actually a threat to do anything of note. Then, what's the point?

9. anakin

Just because you have the talent, doesn't mean the players have the consistent attitude. Larry built on the RC's good foundation and had the benefit of Wallace being brought in. They played up and down with LB too. This up and down play has existed well before Flip arrival. CB said that it human tendency to loosen up with a 3-0 lead, not a direct quote but paraphrased.

You would never see Zeke or Joe D display this non-chalance in their heydays. They came out playing to win, doesn't mean they did. You can't coach effort. Ben for example always came out and worked hard, you couldn't blame his energy or effort. You can't say that about every one this team. More than ever before, it's a players league. I am not disagreeing with you about Flip's hand in all this. I think it's high time to start focusing on the players as they shown this behavior for a long time. They are one factor that has not changed.

10. Nemo

All of your points are excellent........My feelings however, are........

1.) The Lions haven't won anything in 50 years, so they don't get a free pass from me for anything.

2.) The Pistons have won three championships in the last 19 years, so they get a free pass when things don't go exactly as planned.

3.) I really do think they've been competitive since RC and JD arrival, and that's all I need.

4.) They will not lose this series and we will all be back to rooting for our beloved Pistons.

5.) Your facts are well founded, and your knowledge is really strong.
    I will remain optimistic till they actually lose a series.

11. anakin

BTW Low, IMO Flip's neck should be on the line if this team does not get to the Finals.

12. Pwn Toney

On that, sir, we agree. He has a "red carpet" of sorts, because while I didn't expect the Bulls to make it easy, we have slacked this series and it should be over and there's no reason for us to lose to CLE.

13. Pwn Toney

I only differ with you on minor points. They played up and down with LB, but during the regular season. But, once the playoffs started, they put the peddle down and really only lost games when teams played that much better than them. You didn't get the feeling that, say, Billups took the 1st half off because LB wouldn't allow it. That's why these guys would tire of LB chewing their ears. When he didn't get the effort, he would pound these guys for it. In response, they would slack less often because they got sick of hearing about it (with the exception of Memo and Darko).

Yes, you are right, Billups and/or any players that slack deserve blame. My biggest gripe is with Flip because if you KNOW the players will do it, you have a responsibility as coach to either, 1) Rip them a new one, 2) Bench them when they do it, or 3) admit you don't have the stones to hold your players to a high standard of effort or performance.

You can't coach effort, but when you are not getting it, you are obligated to react. You cannot, as coach, just throw up your arms and say how these guys have to bring the appropriate effort. There HAS to be some form of consequence or alternative approach if you are not getting the effort. Flip fails far too often in this regard. He is content to just shrug and tell you that he can do nothing if the players don't bring the energy.

14. anakin

You gotta admit Game 5 was just a pathetic display by the team. The lack of energy on defense was really disturbing in a playoff game.

Flip should have started benching them in the regular season, unfortunately the overall bench has not been used enough on a consistent basis for them to give the starters a breather on a nightly basis or be a legitimate threat. That part is largely on the coach and to an extent on the available proven talent. With the current bench you don't what to expect in terms of overall productivity and scoring.They can put 25 pts as easily as 5.

15. Nemo

I believe that they tried harder during that playoff season not because of LB, but because they hadn't won anything yet. Their collective mentality wanted to prove to the world they were championship material. Memo and Darko didn't buy into this mentality because they were "outsiders" to the core group of players. Their talents were respected by the core group, but they were on the outside. That's why they're both gone.

I prefer Flip's option 4: Panic only when they face a must win game.
    Gotta trust the stars that got you there. Keep coaching the details, but trust the players will come through tonight...........

16. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Thanx Nemo for stayng postitive and I find it really hard to believe that we'll lose the series let alone tonite. I really do believe we will come out like monsters tonite. LETS GET R DONE.

17. Pwn Toney

It was definitely pathetic. I was just as upset with the players as the coach.

This is one of the things I think Cola was too rigid on, he wouldn't rely on the bench under any circumstance. I'm not saying LB relied heavily on the bench, but he got major production out of them over the 03/04 reg. season and wouldn't hesitate to yank Rip or Chauncey if they looked like they were fooling around out there. True, this should have been addressed early in the season...it's a little late now.

18. roscoe36

Uhm... Alternatorz?

[​IMG]

19. roscoe36

That's cool. Lotsa blame to go around.

I'm pretty impressed that this Sour Note has taken off so well. Long overdue respect for the author of an underrated article series. :thumb:

20. Pwn Toney

Yeah man, but you remember all the battles between Cola and Barry with RC %%%%%ing about all the quick shots and not running the offense. Remember Barry getting ready to sign with Indy until he learned that Cola would be taking over?