[HVC] SOUR NOTE: Where’s that darn switch???!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 21, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SOUR NOTE: Where’s that darn switch???!!!

by The Low

[floatr]http://www.wrecktangle.net/images/Sour_Note.jpg[/floatr]
    Alright kiddies,

Now is the time we’ve all been waiting for. As I sit here in a small corner bar in Portland, OR listening to one of my best friends play a ridiculous jazz guitar medley that would make you cringe it’s so good, let’s consider what lies ahead in the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

Now that the pain and misery of the NBA regular season is behind us, we can now focus on what the players have referred to as “what really counts.” We’ve watched great play, we’ve watched half-hearted play, we’ve watched absolutely brilliant play, and we’ve also witnessed a home loss to the Bobcats. So, what are we left with? Absolutely no definitive sense of what we can expect from this team in the weeks to come…that’s what.

For me, it has boiled down to this:
    • How long before this team self destructs from all their regular season bad habits and begins fingering anyone and everyone in the organization for their lack of performance?
    • How long before someone realizes that give up massive amounts of easy lay-ups and high percentage shots to your opponent is not the safest road to the NBA title?
    • How long before this team realizes that thinking you can “3-point” your way back from a large deficit is only going to make matters worse?
    • How long before the practice of double and, on occasion, triple teaming players who have shown the ability to pass the ball is accepted as a bad idea?
    • How long before the Pistons players stop shrugging off humiliating losses to inferior opponents (as often as it continues to happen)?
    • How long before the Pistons decide that it is in their best interest to snap a team’s neck when they’re down instead of launching 20 footers until the opponent finally obliges and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat?
    • How long before Saunders actually takes charge of in-game situations instead of making excuses after the fact about what he didn’t like or was hoping wouldn’t happen?
    Yes folks…many many questions to be answered and only 4 playoff series (if they are lucky) to do so. I am a Pistons fan through and through, but much of what I saw this year leads me to believe that they will go down in a flaming heap much like last season. Heck, if they manage to squeeze by MIA or CHI in round two, they might just have an easier series against CLE (considering they don’t go back to triple teaming Lebron for the entire series and leaving half the Cavalier roster open under the basket) and wind up in the Finals. That said, I have no real confidence that this team will leave its lesser twin behind and soundly beat their Western Conference opponent. Actually, this team’s lack of a killer instinct, lax defensive efforts for long stretches, reliance on jump shots, lack of interior D, lack of paint scoring, and overall needless cockiness might just have them sitting in front of that big blue Pistons/Chevrolet backdrop shrugging their shoulders and making cliché excuses about being outplayed, chips falling where they may, just going cold, opponents getting hot at the right time, or wanting it more, or any other of myriad excuses for why they came up short.

Let’s hope they actually DO find that magic switch that they clearly are reaching for, but insist on telling us they don’t believe in and doesn’t exist.

It’s playoff time….get your caps! You don’t want co-workers laughing at your for the missing hair you will have voluntarily removed from your scalp.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not really a switch, but more of a fader.

Flip has a separate module that acts as the master controller.

Once power has been supplied, and all cords are connected, then each player will gradually increase their volume while Flip mutes them out randomly to create dynamics.

It's complicated.

3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Whatever it is, it needs to be pushed to maximum and encased in cement for the next two months.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed. It's almost like the switch is on a timer. 12 mins on, 24 mins off.

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone still think I'm crazy???

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Whatever it is, Pistons better find it quickly. Everything Roscoe talked about is coming to life time and time again. When they had Chicago down they take the foot of the pedal, launch crazy jump shots and stop playing defense. Now they are in deep and need to turn this thing around quicky.

7. Pwn Toney

Actually, I wrote that....it's an ongoing column I've been doing for this forum and humanvictorycigar.com, courtesy, of course, of Roscoe and his many fine works.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Low, you're right on target with that. I just don't get it. Pistons are the only team talking about the switch. Do they feel they are so much better than all the other teams? It is somewhat mind boggling.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

time to FLIP that SWITCH..................

10. Pwn Toney

I really can't stand that attitude. That's one of the things that other posters hate, but I loved about LB. He would constantly knock these guys off their high horse when they got all "we know what we're doing" about things.

You can see it in the interviews, you can see it when they're warming up. They act like they'll win because they showed up and then there's always the brush off or the cliche excuses when they let a team up from the mat. If they don't get off to a quick start on Thurs. they may well lose and I have no faith in them come game 7 because they will have already worsened their chances in the ECF.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think they've already achieved that goal. Thanks to the "switch", Sheed is 2 techs closer to sitting out a game of the NBA Finals. Whomever they play, I doubt that Rasheed being suspended for a game won't have an effect on the outcome.

This is both embarassing and ridiculous.:yellowprison:

Good initial article, by the way. :)

12. Pwn Toney

Why, thank you sir! :cheers:

I just wish Saunders would stop acting like not hitting shots is an excuse for not getting back and defending aggressively (source).

13. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

If I had to point to any single factor that has kept this Pistons team from reaching their potential since 2004 (and it's almost time to include this season) it's that switch-flipping, if it ain't rough it ain't right attitude that they sometimes bring to important games. I don't know if Chauncey is the worst offender, or if it just seems like it because he's so shameless about it. The dominating beat-anyone Good Pistons suddenly revert back to the sleepwalking no-defense Bad Pistons so quickly that you just have to wonder who these guys are sometimes.

14. Pwn Toney

That's the kicker, the fact that these guys smirk at the camera the whole time.

15. max

max All-Star

If for some reason the Bulls actually pull this one out The Low will be hailed as one of the greatest sports prophits of all time and the Sour Notes will go down in History like the Nostradamus quatrains.

Something to think about.

16. Pwn Toney

I think that might actually cause some heads to explode. :granade:

No one on this forum wants to see this come to pass.

17. max

max All-Star

I know no one wants that or they would not be here.

This team has never been testing without Ben Wallace before. Ironically he is on the other team. That kind of scares me. I am willing to concede that.

Someone else is going to have to provide the magic for the Pistons.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yea, kinda like the constant switching that goes on in this forum (except of course, the easy course outline of "fire the coach").

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Time to SWITCH that FLIP...............

20. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Well played sir, well played. :good: