[HVC] SOUR NOTE: Thank You Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 14, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SOUR NOTE: Thank You Detroit Pistons

by The Low

[floatr]http://www.wrecktangle.net/images/Sour_Note.jpg[/floatr]Well, Well, Well. After a week of letting the smoke clear, getting all the fan response, and listening to the thoughts of the front office. All I can say is: Thank You Detroit Pistons. Thank you for…
    …once again proving that you CANNOT turn on the switch when you feel like it.
    …abandoning your defensive base for a more “fun and interesting” style of play.
    …saying all the right things, but not doing them.
    …labeling one Ben Wallace as a malcontent and then going right out the next year and proving him right.
    …telling us, “If it ain’t rough, it ain’t right.”
    …acting like you have it all figured out in the regular season and are saving yourself for the post season.
    …flaming out in pathetic fashion for two years in a row
    …hiring Flip Saunders
    …not hiring Bill Laimbeer (not even an interview?)
    …signing Half-Price…err….Nazr Mohammed
    …signing Crap….err Chris Webber
    …providing us with “in-house” beat writers (can you say “spin?”)
    …telling us that half-assing on D will not be tolerated and then promptly tolerating it.
    …showing us great promise from Jason Maxiell
    …benching Jason Maxiell the very next game.
    …running an offense predicated on jump shots when you have exactly 2 proficient jump shooters out of 12 players.
    …refusing to drive the lane when teams openly beg you to do it
    …letting us watch Chauncey Billups mail it in for the 1st half of most games.
    …letting us watch the rest of the team follow suit.
    …convincing the fans that the one major change from the Finals years isn’t the reason the team continues to come up short.
    …losing to the Cleveland Cavaliers
    …making me look like a fool on my very first video podcast…IT WAS MY FIRST!
    …running away from Lebron James as he drives to the hoop with the game on the line.
    …running away from Lebron James as he drives to the hoop with the game on the line.
    running away from Lebron James as he drives to the hoop with the game on the line.
    …winning on the cheap and then running everyone out of town before they expect to be rewarded for their results.
    …firing a coach that gets results because he’s a “bad person.”
    …keeping a coach that fails because he’s a “good person.”
    …acting as if chances to compete for a title are a dime a dozen and should not be cherished and treated as if they were your last.
    …convincing the fans that winning titles isn’t important, but having a great 5 year run, is.
    …drafting Darko
    …ending the season talking as if we’re going to do it all again next year.
    Alas, as I look back on this year, I have tons to be thankful for and I, for one, don’t plan on being ungrateful.

Thank you Detroit Pistons from the bottom of my…
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    :p_welldone::p_welldone::p_welldone::p_welldone:
    :bump::bump::bump::bump:

:amen:

That was beautiful.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks Low, my sentiments exactly...especially these beauties

flaming out in pathetic fashion for two years in a row
    …hiring Flip Saunders
    …not hiring Bill Laimbeer (not even an interview?)
    …signing Half-Price…err….Nazr Mohammed
    showing us great promise from
    Jason Maxiell
    …benching Jason Maxiell the very next game.
    …running an offense predicated on jump shots when you have exactly 2 proficient jump shooters out of 12 players.
    …refusing to drive the lane when teams openly beg you to do it
    …letting us watch
    Chauncey Billups mail it in for the 1st half of most
    running away from Lebron James as he drives to the hoop with the game on the line.

:loser: :toilet: :mad:
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

I wish I'd have written that...but since I didn't, I'll just say thank you Low.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good job Low. Right on the money except I think you should at least have mentioned how the Pistons were running away from Lebron James as he drives to the hoop with the game on the line.:MusicBigGrin:

Anyhow, you didn't look like a fool on your video podcast. We all were tricked at some point during the season. When they broke out that ice cold blue raspberry flavored Kool Aid who could resist?
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That used to be my favorite flavor.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think this pretty much sums it all up. Funny enough that Joe D. talked about most of these things in his late interviews. Lets hope this changes next season.
    :hoops:
  8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Bump. Nuf said.
  9. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Thank you Cleveland...

...for getting run and showing us just how far away we are from winning another title.

...and for showing us how little an EC finals appearance really means.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Thank you to Ginobli & Parker (And Cleveland's guards too) for reminding me that it is possible to drive to the basket and not fall over to start a break for your opponent.

Thank you Flip for your foresight and imagination.

Thank you SA for showing that you can box Z out.

Thank you media for playing up Delfino's & Max's 3 minute nights as progress
  11. mikhail1973

I don't think we're that far from winning. If Joe drafts well and makes some smart deals we should be right back in the thick of championship contention next year. Just because we folded like a house of cards this year doesn't mean that we can't compete next year.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Flip gets out coached by Mike Brown he would get manhandled by anybody. In fact I think that a case can be made where every WC playoff team's coach is better than Flip.

Avery Johnson
    Greg Popovich
    Mike D'Antoni
    Jeff VanGundy
    Jerry Sloan
    Phil Jackson
    George Karl
    Don Nelson
  13. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

It's more of an organizational thing than physical talent. San Antonio has it right now and we don't. The coaching fits the talent perfectly.

Flip is not maximizing his team's ability. I am actaully hopeful that he will progress as a coach this year.

Mikhail, I hope you are right, and this is like 2003, when the guys lost 4 in a row to a team that went on to be sacrificed in LA. And then we came back to win it all.... Major changes were needed then to get over the top and I think they are needed again. Himat's list would probably be a good place to start.
  14. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Just watching the Spurs win a 4th title makes me :sick: . No offense to them as a team, I like them, but the Pistons should have won more than one during this 5 year stretch. Underachieved to their potential
  15. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

The difference in the styles between the Pistons and the Spurs emanate from their respective coaches and point guards.

Chauncey is a slow it down, cool and quiet, 3 point shooter, who will occasionally try to use his physical strength going to the lane (usually trying to draw a foul). He has won games with his 3 point shooting and foul shooting, but lacks the dynamic personality to inspire the team in other ways.

Tony Parker is a dynamic, fast, high energy guy who can distribute and drive to the rim with the best of them.

I really don't know if Saunders has tailored his offense to the players we have or if he tries to fit players into his offense which don't necessarily fit.

You gotta love Joe D's intensity in talking about next season. I am really excited to see the youngsters get some PT. I do think Joe will pretty much have to mandate the changes as Flip does not seem inclined to play bench players consistent minutes.

The negativity in this thread is understandable, but I actually am more excited about next season's team than the past couple of years of sameness. I like the Pistons as they are, but I really think the energy and athleticism that is lacking will be much improved with Max, Amir, and other young guys coming in.

I've never heard Joe so pissed off, so I hope his stating that Amir will be a rotation player next season comes to pass. I think Acker in Europe has a chance to contribute here too next season.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Me too.

And the negativity has it's place, folks may as well get it out of their system now. We've got an exciting summer of change coming with the team, and
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons have the same grind it out (if their lucky) offense that they had during their heyday, without the D to back it up. I have no doubt that when Cleveland had 34 points at the half in these finals games, that DET would have been right there with 29 or 30 points. There is more than one way to play. DET doesn't have to play exactly like SA. Their offense is an abomination though with no ball movement and is totally reliant on 5 or so players to carry it out.

SA was down 13 to Pheonix in G5 and had a line-up of Matt Bonner, Oberto, Jauque Vaughn, Brent Barry on the floor. They somehow are able to keep their defensive principles in place, move the ball and be productive on O. They cut deeply into the lead with this group. Anyone ever see that happening with Flip here?
  18. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

Well, you are correct about the current defense versus the "old days". The Pistons of several years ago relied mostly on tough physical D to keep them in games when their offense was bogged down. Losing big Ben definitely hurt the defense, as he did tend to "clean up" a lot of free passes to other teams guards to drive the lane. Sheed really did step up and play excellent help defense to try to make up for the loss of the other Wallace, but whether it can be blamed on the "new rules" or not, the old Pistons D just was not there when they needed it against Cleveland. When their offense was not clicking (Prince 1-19!!!), they counted on their defense to keep them close but it wasn't enough obviously.

I don't really think it is about physicality or athleticism, I think it is about intensity and tenacity. The so-called leader of the team, Chauncey, has some great aspects to his game, but he is just not the inspirational, tenacious leader that Ben was. Ben's intensity usually had a very visceral effect on the rest of the team, and often inspired them to, as Joe says "bring it". The only player I see that has a similar style is Max, who seems to overcome his "shortcomings" with tremendous intensity and will.

Maybe I'm wrong about Chauncey and he can become more of a leader type, but he isn't a youngster anymore and if he had it in him I think it would have shown by now.

Hopefully, the youth and athleticism of our young prospects will light a fire under our older players and next years team will find the hunger they have lost.
  19. mikhail1973

Chauncey is a very good player, but just not a leader. Sheed leeds but he has a weird way to show it. Tay is too quiet. Rip is...well...Rip. When LB was here - he was the leader along with Ben. Now we have a leadership void. I do not believe that one of the youngsters could become a leader yet. They have to earn teammates' respect. I was really hoping that Tay could step up, especially during that Bulls series when he became vocal. Then it seemed like he resorted to being laid back and quiet. Flip had to become that leader. So far he hasn't shown anything that would indicate he's up to the task. Therefore, Joe steps in. I'm just hoping it will work, especially since it looks like all the players respect Joe.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Thanks Pistons. I'll be back next year. :)