"Hungry Hungry Hippos" or "Lottery-Bound Tank Squadron"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit is showing capability of tanking too with only the Charlotte debacle in the last 14 games. If we hold our own and only win 1 or 2 games that would be a 2-20 or 3-19 finish. It may not be elite tanking but it sure is alot better than the last two seasons. If we would manage the improbable perfect run that would be a 1-21 finish - elite tanking. We got the roster to pull it off, but it's up to the coach to make it happen. Do Frank have the guts to put Middleton in street clothes?
    linwood, coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm afraid of this happening, too.
    linwood likes this.
  3. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

awwwwwww Jose and his brilliant game... win @ Raptors
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

weird incentives... I just read that the Pistons won and immediately felt like "damn it, Toronto sealed the better lottery pick with this one"
  5. Laimbrane

4/7 update (with remaining opponents)

10. Washington (29/47) (6-4)
    9. Toronto (29/47) (3-7)
    8. Minnesota (29/47) (6-4)
    7. Sacramento (27/49) (4-6) Memphis, NOH, @San Antonio, @Houston, @OKC, LAC
    6. New Orleans (26/50) (4-6) @Phoenix, @LAL, @Sac, LAC, Dallas, @Dallas
    5. Detroit (25/52) (2-8) Chicago, @Cleveland, Charlotte, Philly, @Brooklyn
    4. Cleveland (23/52) (1-9) Orlando, @Indiana, Detroit, NYK, @Philly, Miami, @Charlotte
    3. Phoenix (23/53) (1-9) NOH, @Houston, @Dallas, @Minny, Houston, @Denver
    2. Orlando (19/58) (1-9)
    1. Charlotte (18/59) (3-7)

At total of three wins this week among the bottom six teams. If Stern thinks the lottery prevents tanking, he's sadly, sadly mistaken.

With five games left, Detroit seems virtually assured of having a top 7 pick, but 4-1 is a possibility, and Toronto, and Washington have difficult enough schedules that I could see them losing out to put them into tie for 8th. I think that's unlikely, but you never know. Top 2 is out of the question now, so the big question is over where they end up between 3 and 7.

I think Phoenix has third locked up. They might take one against the Hornets and Minnesota is a possibility, but they could easily lose out the rest of the way. Their ceiling is 26 wins, and I think 24 is probably a more likely scenario.

Cleveland has Orlando, Detroit, Philly, and Charlotte - four winnable games - and they just got Irving back. I think they could end up with 26-27 wins pretty easily, and could end up surprising Indy or New York. I'm expecting 26 wins out of them, even with the clear tanking.

New Orleans has Phoenix and that huge Sacramento game, but beyond that not much winnable. I'm seeing 28 wins, tops. I think they lose to Sac, though, and end up with 27.

Sacramento has one win, max, the rest of the way, though I do think they'll beat Phoenix. 28 wins would be a much more comfortable finish compared to 27 wins, but I think they'll end at 27.

The Pistons should lose to Chicago an Brooklyn, but really need to put on a terrible show against Cleveland and Philly. That Cleveland game may have a lot on the line, but the Cavs did just get Irving back and may screw up their positioning. Worst case scenario, Detroit goes 4-1, ends up with 29 wins, and drops to a tie for 8th. Best-case scenario, they lose out, end up with 25 wins, and move up into 4th over Cleveland.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good write-up. The bad teams aren't losing because they are tanking. They are losing because they are bad.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons couldn't go 4-1 if the 4 teams forfeited the games.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  9. Laimbrane

I think it's a little of both. The bottom five teams combined to go 8-42 over their last 50 games, which is a .160 winning percentage. There is definitely a random aspect to this, but the fact remains that all of them (except Charlotte) are playing below their season average.

I mean, yeah, Detroit and Cleveland have had to deal with pretty significant injuries, but you can't tell me that the Pistons are as bad a team as they've been playing. Are they doing it intentionally? Probably not, but at the end of the year, when there's nothing to play for but your contract and maybe some pride, that's not enough to create competitive environments and bring home W's.

You'd see a significantly different environment if they were playing for seeding in a tournament for the 8th seed in each conference.
  10. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons started losing badly at the same time that Drummond went down. I do not think it was a coincidence.
    The Panda likes this.
  11. Laimbrane

Touché.
  12. BillLaimbeer

If you watch the Pistons playing the Bulls tonight, it is a very inspired group of young guys. It looks like a playoff spot is on the line. There is no quit. There is no tanking.
  13. Laimbrane

That's all great, but it's going to cost them ping pong balls and draft slots.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

neither coach nor players get their checks for tanking....As players have said repeatedly to journalists, drafts, etc, it's GM-job to sort it out. Not ours.

We've had similar discssion here before, at the last season, I guess. The final verdict was something like: neither coach nor GM simply can't go to the lockerrom and to say "ok folks, take it easy, lets's tank." It killes inner competition, players do not concentrate on practices, etc.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Also the impending draftee is a direct threat to many players on the team. The worse player the better for their own job security!
  16. BillLaimbeer

Wow, I never thought about it from that angle. I wonder if players actually think that way. Interesting....
  17. Laimbrane

I don't think anyone is intentionally tanking, and I don't think any of them should intentionally tank. That doesn't mean I can't get a little irritated when they win - they're primarily focused on winning the game (since most of them won't be here in a few years), while I'm primarily looking at them winning in the long-term (because I still will be here in a few years). Most of the time my hopes for the Pistons and the Pistons' hopes for themselves are one-and-the-same, but not right now.

Ever notice that the two people least capable of judging a new relationship are often the two people in it? It's kind of the same thing.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tanking is done by a coach who is doing it in coordination with an owner. We know that Gores fought for Frank and we know that Frank has no interest in winning games (just look at how he sometimes takes Middleton out of the game). Connect the dots.
    coynejeremy, linwood and kpaav like this.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd like to see a rotation against Cleveland that goes like this: Knight, English, Middleton, JJ, Monroe. Sub in Stuckey, Singler and Slava. Cleveland has had 3 top 4 picks including the #1 overall and they are still poised to get another and we can't catch them. OKC might give people wet dreams about building through the draft but the Cav are more like the cold shower of reality. Still the best chance to flip a 5/4 position is against the Cavs. Frank will know what to do.
  20. BillLaimbeer

If the Pistons were truly in tank mode, they would have never came up with the mysterious Maxiel detached retina injury.