How much would it cost to trade up and get Drummond?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 16, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Part 1: What's it going to take to trade up and get him?

It's sounding like we'd have to trade up to the #5 spot to get him. #9 to #5. I think that our 1st rounder next year would probably be enough (hopefully we're good enough next season to not regret that). A protected 1st rounder - or a 1st rounder two or three years from now - would be better. Maybe we could pull that off? As far as being able to pull the trade off without giving up an additional 1st round pick, I don't know?

Monroe and Knight certainly aren't options. Villanueva and even Gordon are probably considered negative assets due to their large contracts. [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]Prince's contract isn't awful, but it's long, so he's probabl[FONT=Calibri]y considered a negative asset. Maxiel is overpaid for what he is, so he's probabl[FONT=Calibri]y considered a negative asset as well. B[FONT=Calibri]ynum, for what he produced last season, is probabl[FONT=Calibri]y considered overpaid, and thusl[FONT=Calibri]y[/FONT] a negative asset as well.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Stuckey might be an asset that's considered valuable? He kind of started to turn the corner this season. But he's still getting paid quite a bit. I don't know. He's not really a piece Joe-D would to part with anyways.

Jerebko has some value. Good player for the money. We wouldn't want to give him up, but we would. Not sure he'd be enough to make the move though. Is there someone else we could include to make it happen?

Daye has some value for sure. Just because he's still got all that potential and is so cheap. Jerebko and Daye might be enough as a package.

Macklin and Singler are both tradeable, but neither has much value.

...conclusion, IMO, it's probably a future 1st round pick or a package of Jerebko, Daye, Macklin and Singler.
  2. blueadams

Part 2: Why should we trade up to get him?

I still think that the gold standard for a championship team without a superstar - and no, we're never going to sign a superstar (and we'll be lucky to draft one, seeing as we refuse to tank) - so I still look at that squad as a measuring stick.

The biggest difference between this team and that team - aside from attitude and experience - is that it lacks 1) B. Wallace's interior defense; and 2) R. Wallace's interior offense. Because Monroe is established as a cog of our future in the front court, we're going to have to try and find both of those things in one player. It's a very, very hard thing to find. And Drummond is one of those rare guys that has the potential to have it. In most years, and if he hadn't had some problems (we're lucky he did), he'd be the #1 overall pick. Right now, it looks like he's going to slip to #5 and we're going to have a real shot at trading up to get him. I think we should jump on it.

If you're curious about how I see the other 05/12 comparisions...I think Monroe more or less gives you what Sheed did on defense (a little less) and what Ben did on offense (a lot more). I think that Prince of new is close enough to Prince of old; and Daye could still develop into what he was. Stuckey's a much different player than Rip, but he's improving, and could be close to as good someday. Same deal with Knight to Billups. The bench's are pretty similar too...stronger in some areas, weaker in others...Maxiel or Macklin/Elden, Daye or Villanueva/Memo, Jerebko/Corliss, Gordon/James, Bynum/Hunter
  3. blueadams

I like this group:
    C: A. Drummond, V. Macklin
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Maxiel, C. Villanueva
    SF: T. Prince, J. Jerebko, A. Daye
    SG: R. Stuckey, B. Gordon
    PG: B. Knight, W. Bynum
  4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I like Drummond. But if he has an attitude problem, for whatever reason, what makes you think he will go hard in Detroit?
  5. blueadams

He's just such a rare talent. I think you have to go for it. Just like I think we should trade for Cousins if we get a chance to.
    linwood likes this.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I doubt we have the assets to move up more than 2 spots. If anybody is going to take what we got (even packaged with the #9 pick or with a future pick) then we'd better re-evaluate the talent we are trading for. Drummond is a franchise player. If he falls past 2 its merely an indication of team's red flags going up over his psyche profile. To move up into the top 5 you need to cough up Monroe and a 1st rounder. Even then you risk making a move for...Harrison Barnes. Is it worth it? Its #2 or bust if reaching for Drummond because he can go at any time.

I'd much rather we package a guy and a future 1st for the #16 (ish range) or our 2 2nd rounders to a late 1st. Teams are more flexible then. Some may have full rosters and need guys to stash overseas or need cash.
  7. blueadams

the word is no one's even interested in him until #5. i think that our first alone next season could be enough to move up that high. and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to throw in jerebko or daye as well.

the kings at 5 might actually like john henson, who would be available at 9 most likely, more than drummond.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't think the talent part is necessarily true. I think that as a physical speciman, he is incomparable to nearly anyone in the league, bar maybe Oden (healthy) and Hibbert, but with coordination and strength to boot. But this does not mean that he is worth a future draft pick, especially for Detroit, where those picks are so valuable.

I need to see more than a big wingspan and vert to be convinced that this guy is worth the high risk of a bust. Are there any videos of him working out?
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Blue, can you elaborate on how Monroe more or less gives you what Sheed did on D? Monroe seemed to get yanked from the game a lot in the 4th because of his D last year.

I don't really see the comparison.
  10. max

max All-Star

You have to go like top 4 to get a decent PG/C in this draft and we just cannot do it. I don't think anyone would take even a package with Knight or even Monroe for Drummond. In the immediate spots below us looks like 2-3 SG's and SF's. - pieces that we do not need or cannot play due to contract situations with Prince/Stuckey/Gordon...

One thing we can do is trade down. Unless you are sold on any one player it looks like guys 9-18 can just as easily go 9 as they can 18. Seems crazy but I have seen mock drafts with Henson going 9 and 18. Zeller 12 ( we were looking at him ). This may be a good time to do some wheeling and dealing and see if we can get something extra to go along with the player that we would have drafted anyway at #9.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

That part jumps out Maximo, the Pistons don't have the players to trade down into the bottom of the 2nd round.

Also, for what it is worth I couldn't tell you this guys first name(Mr.?), school or position.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the thing that kept repeating in my head when reading these lines was how bad a GM is JoeD...
  13. blueadams

How don't we have the players to trade down? Woudln't another team have to give us something to trade up?
  14. blueadams

1) The latest informed mocks have Drummond going at #5 to SAC. Reports are that they're torn between him and Henson. Say they draft Drummond at 5. Say we draft Henson at 9. You're telling me that we couldn't come up with enough to convince them to swap with us? Not next season's 1st rd. pick? Not even Monroe or Knight? I think you might be being a little overly pessimistic, wouldn't you say?

2) I'd rather take Leonard at 9 than trade down, unless we got something really good back in return.
  15. blueadams

Nothing wrong with what you said. But I still think he's worth it.
  16. blueadams

Well, they're of roughly the same size and athleticism. Monroe's not even close to what Sheed is in terms of knowing where to be, how to react, and all of the small things that one gains with experience. But Monroe could be at least close to him in time.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Kinda sad that the top center in the draft is so raw.........and we're clamoring for him.

Reminds me of the fuss for Darko............:cold:
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

If you chose Monroe's best/peak year he would not be as athaletic as Sheed's last year in the L.

If you compared them at the same age or time in the league then Sheed would lap him running the court.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Any movement now would only be for the OPPORTUNITY to draft Drummond or for picks 3-6, a higher percentage to get that opportunity. This is different than trading for Drummond. Teams may value the flexibility they have with that pick. probably the biggest incentive was blown years ago with CV and BG as cap spayce is the most valuable trade chip these days.
  20. max

max All-Star

We do not give players - we get players. When Doug Collins was coach/GM of the Pistons he pulled off a beauty trade where we traded a 8th or 9th pick for #18 and a veteran PF named Otis Thorpe. He drafted Theo Ratliff with #18 and we had an immediate decent starting front court. That was one of those years where Ratliff could have went top 10 and he could have went 18 like he did. This seems to be another one of those years.

No way is Henson going #5 - you heard that?

Who has a better upside Drummond or Monroe because that's what teams are going to look at if we made them that offer. Who else would they realistically take besides Monroe? You can get a Jerribco/Daye type player every year in 2nd round of the draft. And Knight really has not proved anything in his 1st year to warrant someone giving up a top 5 pick.