How many ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kick it to the big man, Nov 11, 2012.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Be careful what you wish for. We don't want to screw up the #1 pick.

2. Kick it to the big man

Kick it to the big man Second Round Draft Pick

When we do get first pick, because we definitely, headed up that path, we ain't gone do nothing but waste it....by then ,hopefully a lot has changed! See you soon 0-8.......

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

This is clearly an example of the coach refusing to win.
    Looking at those stats, it's obvious to anyone who isn't completely clueless that Stuckey is being played 2 minutes too much, and it's clearly affecting his scoring.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't even know how to approach this.

Firstly, Darko was and is an incredible athlete. He did well in college. He could shoot, handle, pass, rebound. He had all the tools to be a great basketball player. Secondly, he wasn't picked 'by consensus', he was the consensus #2 pick in the draft. Those two expressions mean different things. Many GM's have said they would have picked him as well, this isn't all on JD's head. No one could have seen how little heart he really had. Some people just bust man, he ain't the only one -> Thabeet, Kwame go on that list too. In fact, probably a third of the top 12 picks go on to be nothing special.

Secondly, Carmelo is garbage. Or at least, he has been until recently. The only record he has is for consecutive losses in playoff games, so it's not like you can say he is heaps clutch. His bread and butter is iso's (we already had that in Tay) which end up in the sound of clanging 20 footers, which isn't the opera I want to hear. Is he a talented scorer? Yes. Does he play any other aspect of the game? No. Feel free to prove me wrong on this one.

If Wade had worn a Detroit jersey, it wouldn't have stayed on for very long. Although I am a fan of his.

5. Kick it to the big man

Cmon panda, are you saying Darko is sweet, but Carmelo is garbage? What I said on a previous post was "did we make a pick based on a consensus' list? Which we obviously screwed up anyway.... Carmelo got a college championship as a freshman! Did Darko? What else would you go on? The winner or the beginner? Well who did we pick? I feel sorry for all who bought Darko jerseys.........

6. The Panda

Are you three?

Because you obviously didn't read my post.

Darko is a total bust. I am not denying it. But you sitting there playing GM in hindsight is completely non-productive, and at times, downright fatuous. Carmelo is not a franchise superstar. You wanna know how much national championships mean to an NBA team? Absolutely nothing. And how many times has he carried teams over the finish line? None. When Melo is a team player and puts in time on the defensive end, we will talk. Until then, no deal.

Did we make a pick based on a consensus list? Of course not. JD doesn't just read the ESPN rookie countdown and fly on that in the draft. Go back and read the reports on Darko. Check out the workout video (if you can find them) and see what decision you might have made.

Seriously, I cannot believe we are talking about a draft pick 8 years ago. We just picked Monroe, Knight and Drummond. All three were desperately undervalued in the draft, and all have been very productive. Stop with all the butthurt.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

KITTBM and Panda, we have one rule here that is 100% non-negotiable.

Be nice.

8. Kick it to the big man

He really think he is kungfu panda ha? Put him in package along with Frankenstein, Tay, and stuckey I'll drive all of them Boyz to metro. I go hard in da paint lil bear, you better check yo self fo you wreck yo self.... Don't get it twisted...

9. roscoe36

KITTBM has moved on from PF.com. I've got zero tolerance for internet tough guys. @Panda, next time hit report, don't lower the level of discussion here.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't get it twisted.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Teams are still falling for Darko's potential.

By the way, he must really be a difficult guy in practice. There is something that he does behind the scenes that makes coaches despise him.

12. The Panda

Sorry mate.
    But in all fairness if you take out the insult at the beginning my post does have content.

I really want to know what it is, because it's not like the guy has no talent.

13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its lack of conditioning and a lack of understanding what that means at the professional level.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He mentioned something about being willing to "kill" or do whatever he has to do to stay on the court this year.

He might just have a war zone mentality that doesn't take kindly to being benched. When coaches try to make him earn his minutes, he must say some very offensive things to them.

15. roscoe36

Darko is like Lucy's football in Charlie Brown. People still keep thinking they will be able to kick it despite all evidence to the contrary.

webz likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I always thought of Darko as the old K-Mart "Blue Light Special"............

A nice idea........but never anything you want.

17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Panda got sucked into the Darko debate because he is relatively new and hasn't discussed it in a thousand threads already. Most people here skim read the word Darko by now. Newbies like KITTBM get kicked to the kerb because they mistakenly think this is 'just another forum'. Big mistake. :6shoot:

alexa032, roscoe36 and brofmfa like this.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

19. The Panda

I think it is old news. But it is an interesting topic - not because you get to rag on JD for being a Dumars, but for examining a draft pick being so colossally wrong. But it wasn't just him who got it wrong, it was the whole league. It was the difference between the Thunder in the Finals last year or eeking out 20 wins as they usually did.

For me, it's more than one pick. For me, it's a prime example of exactly what is wrong with the drafting system in terms of the evaluation of talent. I feel as though the yardstick is not right in the NBA. Every pick that ever went bust, whether it's payoff picks like Oden(sort of), or an all out Kwame. These picks bring into the spotlight the legitimacy of the process by which these guys are evaluated.

Despite the downward course our argument took (w/ KIITM), it was nonetheless semi-engaging. Is Melo a good player? What substantiates a good draft pick? What metrics do we measure it by? If English did nothing but egg on the team to wins from the sidelines, are we gettting good value out of that second rounder? Do we measure in absolute terms, or relative terms? How do we build a payoff matrix for the draft?

These are all questions that spin in my head when I think of the draft, and Darko.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  20. max

max All-Star

All - We have much bigger problems than Darko now. In the midst of a losing streak of seasons with no end in sight. Even if Dumars had drafted someone else I am sure they would have bailed on us by now.