How Many Wanted Ben Wallace 6 Yrs Ago/Time To Get Honest

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 4, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

When the sign and trade came down Ben Wallace & Chucky Atkins. How many of you said, BEN WALLACE, who the heck is Ben Wallace.

The Detnews Forum was on fire with carob shots and fire darts on Ben Wallace coming to Detroit.

I mean the amount of negativism was unreal. He was an unknown who had been with several teams, hardly ever seen any time on the floor. Some of us could not see us getting in the playoffs at all for many years with this guy.

I was one of those people who thought Wallace was gonna be a waste of floor space. Six years later here I am, commiserating on our losing Ben.

Of course there were the optimists who saw greater things in Ben Wallace but they were few and far in between.

Now we have Joel Pryzbilla, here we go again. Give the guy a chance. Joe is known for finding that diamond in the rough.

For all we know, Joe could have saw this coming way before we did.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i'll give him a go if we actually sign him. until then, who is joel pryzyzyzbilla?
  3. Pistons_1337

Pistons_1337 Second Round Draft Pick

Well for starters Ben was not Ben at all this year it realy showed in the playoffs. You all cant tell me that he was all ways there. Ben used to bring it every game but this year he did not at all in the playoffs maby in the first round. Im not going to hold you all up Im happy hes gone sure we lost a good defender but we need to score hell Miami scored like 50% that hole round to our 34%. The Pistons in the playoffs this year looks like the 2003 Pistons when no one could score. Joe needs to go get AL and Wells and maby another big man and we will be fine watch. If that dont work out trade them for KG and the mid season watch everyone jump on the Pistons band wagon. Come on guys you know joe all ways get some tricks up his sleeve the only thing joe cant do is draft good. :eyebrows:
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I loved Wallace's toughness, remembering how he came at our boys when he was in Washington. It was just domination out of nowhere, and ever since then I was impressed with him.

On that note, I am not impressed with Joel Prxyzptlik at all. I would rather see Joe sign Wells and go small than throw the MLE at a poor mans Ben Wallace.

Sad to see ya go Ben.

Perhaps it isn't too late for Joe to make a better offer?:fingerscr
  5. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Is it the way the NBA evolves? C'mon, this notion of one guy staying with his team the whole career can only lead to almosts in the NBA. Why would any team give someone who's arguably beginning to slide a 4 year, big bucks contract? Loyalty doesn't cut it in business.
    Maybe there should be a more sliding contract based on performance as these guys get into their twilight. The Bulls will excel next year: Did they sell their future for next year? I think they have.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

To properly get a max out contract you can't have major flaws in your game. BBen has major flaws scoring.
    I like loyalty when it's deserved and doesn't involve choking a team from advancing.
  7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

To be honest, I was ok with getting Big Ben. I knew at the time that I hadn't seen much of him, but I remember him rebounding his %%%%% off against us. I was much more in a "screw Grant Hill" mindset. If he didn't want to be in Detroit, screw him.

This time it's different. Davidson made it very clear he didn't care if Wallace stayed or left...as long as he was underpaid to do so. Flip didn't care if he stayed or left...because now he can focus on getting the 5th out of 5 guys out there to focus on tossing up jump shots.

I was happy to get Ben at the time and with the way he played as a Piston, I would have rather seen all the rest of the starting 5 end up somewhere else rather than watching Ben go the the freakin Bulls.

P.S.
    Pryzbilla is garbage. I'm sorry to rain on people's parade, but that's like putting Miracle Whip on an open wound: It makes no sense and has nothing to do with healing the wound.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Good point, Shine. Maybe the Pistons should figure out a way to get Jermaine away from the Pacers. That could help heal the Ben wounds.:eyebrows:
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wasn't too happy about Grant leaving. And I really didn't care about Ben Wallace coming here either. In fact, I think I was much more curious about Chucky Atkins.

Then Ben suited up and played. I became an instant fan. I will probably watch alot more Bulls games now.... but don't worry, I won't watch them 5 times and type about how Ben did. :)
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It wouldn't hurt to give a BBen update next year. That may help some hurt BBen fans here. BBen is always good here.
  11. max

max All-Star

I recall the turn of events and Dumars had reached agreements with Ben/Chuckie before the ST and after Hill agreed to leave. It was a pretty good pickup after losing Hill

In limited mins Ben put up some pretty good numbers in Orlando. I knew we were getting a badly needed PF but I had no idea that he would go on to excel as much as he has. Orlando thought we were nuts for offering Ben that big of a contract.

If its any consolation prize I hear we may be getting Chuckie back.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ah, no that's not. Not after losing the likes of BBen.:mad:
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It is if you like more missed jumpers and having our backup PG posted up repeatedly and humiliated. Also, if you're a fan of players being lazy and going under the screen leaving opponents wide open for 3's.....oh, and if you like guys that cheat off their man into the lane and can't get back quickly enough to defend the cross court pass that leads to an open 3.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yeah, but he DOES like to take jumpshots. Remember... this is the "new" NBA.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Remember when Cheeser hit that game winner in the 2003 playoffs?

A Velveeta smooth PG would compliment the mouldy playoff offense.

One thing about Atkins. He's pure Jack(jumpshot) cheese.
  16. max

max All-Star

Plus it would be another excuse to let the young guys rot for a year.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Not many wanted Nazr Mohammed today:mad::frusty:.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely agree AG. Not that I thought Joel would have stepped into the current Ben Wallace's shoes right off the bat, but I could see similar potential in the future.

Last night, when I saw that there was a good chance we'd get him, I thought we were making the best of a really bad situation. I could almost see the silver lining.

... not so much with Mohammed though.

When I got home from work to see the latest, it was like last night all over again. :mad:
  19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nope, just wanted Grant Hill to stay at the time.

Which is one of the beauties of Ben Wallace. He earned the respect of every Pistons fan, so much that he changed the whole complexion of the franchise. Joe Dumars saw Ben's effort and knew that if he grabbed players in his mode he would eventually have a championship on his hands. For that reason alone, Ben will always be one of my favorite Pistons of all-time. Very close between him and Zeke at this point. Trust me, for me to say that out loud is a feat in itself. :)

That being said, I don't think there is any comparison between Mohammed and Ben. I much rather had preffered a shorter contract but I understand that this was probably damage control and Joe could not risk lowballing questionably the best available next to Pryzbilla. Being involved in the business sector, I would say that this is your classic case of a half ass attempt (Ben signing) that ends up costing you even more in the long run with gap control and then the eventual solution.

Here's hoping that Nazr has a heart transplant and gets possesed with a player that has better basketball instincts before the start of the regular season.