How long does JD last under the TG regime ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Feb 11, 2011.

?

Who long does JD last ?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2011.
  1. gone before this season ends

8.6%
  2. at the end of 2011

20.0%
  3. til the end of 2012 assuming the planet is still here...

17.1%
  4. til the end of 2013

2.9%
  5. til the end of 2014

5.7%
  6. he's Golden

45.7%
  1. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

I don't look at stats right now, but lets look at turnovers: Chauncey only once in his whole NBA career had a season with 2.6 turnovers per game. Knight rookie season 2.6 to/game and 2.7 to/game this season. I just don't see Brandon as our PG, he is really terrible at that. Before Calderon I think only Kings had a worse starting point guard (Thomas). So what to do with Brandon? Should be our SG of the future? Hell no, he is too small! I predict that he will have a nice career in the NBA from the bench (a little worse version of Jason Terry), but nothing more. And guys like Leonard, Klay Thompson, Iman Shumpert, and picked even later Jimmy Butler, Kenneth Faried!, Reggie Jackson, Chandler Parsons will have better carrers...

What I want to say is that picking Brandon Knight is not a great pick, it is ok, but not geat and Joe D could do better. At least he is not Jan Vesely.

pass99 likes this.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Please feel free to lend Joe your crystal ball prior to this year's draft.
    I'll gladly pay the FedEx charges!

Hindsight = 20/20

coynejeremy likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Forget the hindsight. I would draft Knight again if we had a do-over. The kid is smart and he outworks his peers. He is going to excel in this league. I guarantee it.

Slippy likes this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

I think that whenever you have a revisionist draft discussion and bring up all of the guys that you would have picked, you also have to mention all of the scrubs that you didn't pick.

We could just as easily be watching Jimmer Freddette getting torched on defense and struggling to get his shot off.

Nemo, Walter and kpaav like this.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'm through apologizing for JD. He blew it. Only short tempered babies wreck things. If he had kept the core together, only now would we have question about the direction of the team. Spurs did it right and they're still relevant.
    Not to mention all the Palace revenue he lost.

Mogilny likes this.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Fire Joe - we could have had Fredette!

BallDon'tLie and Mogilny like this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

Dude, you're so freaking predictable.

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was being clever.

9. BillLaimbeer

What some people call being predictable is sometimes just a whole lot of talent.

coynejeremy, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Knight's TO problems are mostly due to the fact that there's nobody coaching him. He forces things too much. I think if we resign Calderon, it would be the best thing that can happen to Knight. Knight is a good passer, but he really tries to go for the tough and amazing passes. He rarely does the simple and safe passes. Jose is the polar opposite in his approach to passing the ball. He can teach Knight a lot.

It's a buffoonery to not hold Joe accountable for his mistakes. Regardless of the ownership situation, he had a job to do and he did have his failures (signing Rip to an extension days before he blew up the team by trading Chauncey, signing BG & CV etc)

However, it is also unfair to criticize Joe for Pistons not having a Spurs-like dynasty. Spurs have the luxury of having one of the best power forwards to ever play the game, a top-tier PG who is explosive on the offensive end, one of the most dangerous SGs in Manu Genobili, and a future-HOF coach in Popovich, plus the overall stability of ownership.

Slippy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The coaching issue is almost wholly JD's doing. And any piece the Spurs have we could counter. We lost in 7 games, we may never match the Spur's glory but we could still be relevant.

12. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

Once again, I'm not saying Knight is a bust. He could be a nice player (with his work ethic), I just don't think we should give much credit to Joe for drafting him, because there were better players picked later. Knight is a ok draft pick, Monroe and Drummond are great draft picks

Slippy likes this.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Knight seemed a great pick where need meets opportunity. It was that or Kemba and we would have had Bismack if Jordan didn't jump ahead to nab a guy that essentially will come off the bench. Knight is frustrating as all get out but I love him as a Piston. He can move without the ball, grabs rebounds, competes. He's fearless. Flaws and all, I like Knight. Happy to have him and Bynum.

Nemo likes this.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That whole Rip thing was whacked.

The Spurs seemed to have either amazing luck or really advanced euro scouting. Their success is in a large part due to where in the draft they were able to pick up Manu and Tony. Also, Duncan's got longevity. Local radio interviewed Adonal Foyle and asked him about Duncan since they came into the league the same time. Foyle joked, "I hate him. I am sitting here like an old man and he's out playing basketball. He must have sold his soul to the devil." For Duncan to maintain a high level such a long time, the Pistons don't have anything that compares in the GTW era.

What Calderon brought to the table is a peer that would push Knight. Until then he had Bynum and Stuckey. Neither are floor generals. Both are shoot first, shoot second ball handlers. He would also be a good role model on the floor. Knight is a bright kid. You see how Calderon controls the game. Maybe off ball you can see it from the other perspective.

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nonsense. How many soldiers are under his command to scan the horizon? It takes no great insight, to follow the nbadraft.net and just shrug your shoulders on the next in line that follows the pattern. He got lucky that those picks dropped (and Knight dropping did us no great favor) and let us not forget they are not great organizations like the Spurs. They took my pick: Kawhi Leonard. No doubt, this latter organization will get another big time sleeper, called: Tony Mitchell.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The best way to judge a draft pick is to think if they would go higher or lower if the draft were redone today. Some guys drafted ahead will be busts and some guys behind will be surprise studs.

coynejeremy likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Pistons have their eye on Mitchell. He is just not in their drafting territory unless they wheel and deal.

North Texas forward Tony Mitchell answers Pistons' tough questions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com