Away Houston Rockets Tuesday Jan 17 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 16, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2012.
  1. Detroit

30.0%
  2. Houston

70.0%
  1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I guess the new forum doesn't have a built-in filter.

But, I do agree with the gist of what copper said. We seem to get caught in this get the ball at the perimeter, drive hard to the basket, and then pass it out to another guy so he can take a turn doing the same thing. The guy that gets caught with the ball as the shotclock expires gets the privilege of forcing a higly contested tough shot.

There was one sequence where the open shooters kept passing the ball instead of shooting and I was pulling my hair out, and then it ended up with a player for wide open three, and for a split second I thought, "Aha! There is a rhyme and reason to this madness". But then I realized it was Big Ben who actually had to CALL the guards away from the basket where they were starting to box out for a rebound.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Rockets appear to be one of those wayward teams trying to stockpile their roster with athletic guys who work on their game in an attempt to improve.

The Pistons should start calling themselves the Rockets East as they too attempt to rebuild with high lottery picks year after year.

Clyde Drexler definitely sounds a little punch drunk doing the broadcasts, but he summed up the Pistons perfectly at the end of the game. "It's just bad basketball. You run the shot clock down possession after possession, you won't run......it's is just boring to watch. Oh, and to top it off you won't win very often." All they needed was the Going to Work whistle to blow and a shot of Joe in the stands stuffing his face with popcorn and my night would have been complete.

I believe I have fallen asleep during every game this year.

It is stunning how many point blank shots the Pistons give up at the basket.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Sorry for the tirade and colourful language but I was pissed and forgot to censor myslelf. Unfortunately I bleed red white and blue( thank the lord its no longer teal)and honalulu blue and silver. and I dont even live stateside....I am not a bandwagon fan , and I am not naive enough to think that my team will always be a great team and win every game. I just want to see effort, and Iwant to see improvement. I see it with GM, and flashes with JJ and BK...and thats it. I just feel blah , for lack of a better word. Most games I can at least watch GM play with the ball going through him and scoring or making plays to show his improvement, but when they go away from him for long stretches like they did it just shows how far we havent come.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I was actually impressed with Ben Gordon's defense in this one. He bothered K-Mart all night and had a few knock-aways and a couple of steals. He reminded me of Rodney White with his quick hands. He still got blown-by several times but I thought he actually made a positive contribution on D for a change.

I'm so glad that Joe resigned Stuck and Tay for collectively TWICE as much as the Rockets are paying Sam Dalembert. Dalembert would be the ideal type of player to pair next to Greg Monroe ( to add insult to injury, Sam's on a 2 year deal with year 2 only partially guaranteed - VERY tradable asset).

The Pistons may be at the bottom of the league in a lot of statistical categories but they definitely lead the league in pump fakes. They remind of a popcorn popper or one of those Bop-a-Mole games at Chuck-e-Cheeses.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that Gordon is putting in an improved effort on defense.

I lol'd when Prince caught the ball at the top of the key in the 3rd quarter and pump faked. The defender didn't even flinch. The league has realized the Tay fake is useless.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You are correct, he was unusually active on D last night.
  7. BallDon'tLie

The pump fake disease or "Tayshaunitis" as the CDC refers to it has spread to other members of the team. Ben Gordon used to have one of the quickest triggers of any shooter in the association and now he can't resist pogoing like he's at a NOFX concert.

At least 3 times last night he pump faked his way out of an open 3-pointer so he could take a contested long-2 pointer.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

BDL is correct...while the Kings were in a quandry thinking about what to do with Dalembert, Joe should have swooped in with an offer and a guarantee for him to start along side Monroe and JJ. But noooo, he already had Ben and JMax as his bigs and already re-signed Fakepump Prince. to fill out his front court (with the often hated CV).

Dalembert continually got in position last night to grab rebounds and put backs and hit a couple of jumpers from the side to keep the Pistons from ever making a serious run at the Rockets. He and Kris "Boooo" Humphries were both available and would have been excellent bigs to complement Monroe and give the rebounding and muscle that we are lacking with Max and Ben..
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I sure hope that Tom Gores comes to the PF for advise.........Joe certainly doesn't.
  10. BallDon'tLie

It's not that I dislike Pumpfake or Collider.
    It's the fact that Joe could have done SO MANY other things with the money that we're paying these guys who in my opinion are not essential to the rebuilding process.

I gotta believe that Joe could have landed Sam Dalembert and one or two "upside" bigs instead of gettin' the band back together. I guess Joe is hell-bent on playing the lottery.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Per this latest Bleacher report the Pistons are of course one of the 10 NBA worst teams embarrassing themselves.

The most telling stats they are quoting is that the Pistons are last in the league in both scoring and rebounding.

We They can't shoot or rebound= we They can't win....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1027454-10-nba-teams-that-are-embarrassing-themselves/page/9

12. Walter

I still don't like Dalembert. Sure he did look like superman against us, but so does every player in the league that is north of 6' 9".

That being said, it would've been better to sign Dalembert instead of Prince. Stuck still has a place in this team.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

14. BallDon'tLie

Dalembert has been looking good against a lot of teams this year. I'm not crazy about him but he compliments Monroe pretty well.
    ...and I don't think that Rodney has a place on this team for EIGHT million dollars per year. I think that we could have found a better fit for much less. (I said better fit not better player)
  15. Walter

Yes, $8M is too much for him. I agree with that. But the fact that he could get fouled very consistently is an asset in a grind out game. Too bad that we don't have many of those situations when you're getting blown out every game.