Houston Rockets Jan. 25th, 6:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

didn't get to watch the game yet past the 1st quarter, but it looks like we played pretty well overall and just botched the 1st 5 minutes. starting kwame was a HUGE mistake.

hopefully we're fixing things as we go along...i guess we'll see.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would hurt attendance.

NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association - ESPN

We are actually in first place right now, even with the terrible local economy.

I know we have some empty seats and all that, but so does every team. Also, we have a slightly bigger arena than most, so that helps.

Notice that there are other teams with sellout or better averages and they are still behind us.

So, if Dumars can rebuild while telling the fans that he's not and lead the league in attendance, then that's a pretty good accomplishment for him.

Actually, if you look back at prior years, we've been leading the league in attendance every single year, except for 05-06 when we were 2nd, behind Chicago.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

there were maybe 10,000 fans in the stands at the start of the dallas game. probably maxed at 16,000 of the 22,000 overall. still a sellout, but fans aren't showing up. but, the palace is trying to get more fans there which i appreciate, as i got $1 hot dogs before the game, $1 popcorn all night, and $3 beers.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a good point about the prices.

Almost every team could sell their arena out on a nightly basis if they adjusted the prices downward.

Davidson has been smart to not raise prices in the last few years because of the Detroit area struggles. He's probably not losing much money by doing so, and it creates a better atmosphere and leaves customers feeling more satisfied.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah, our ticket prices didn't increase this year which was the first time in awhile. they're offering a lot of package deals, and some really good ones at that (packages where you can pick all the games you go to). i'm guessing they will decrease prices next year...and if they don't i might give up my season tickets because i can find seats in my same section on stubhub for cheaper than i'm currently paying.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really wish Chicago wasn't so high on the attendance list.

It's just not worth it for me to pay $50+ to get average seats to a Bulls game.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yah, even a few years ago when they royally sucked and we went there for a game, it was way expensive for average seats...we were pretty surprised
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

AI is accepting a lesser role in the scoring. Because he wants to win a championship. Rip is accepting coming off the bench. Because he wants to win a championship.

Yes, we can win it all this year, and the moves made are for that.

Huge question though - will Curry last the year. IF Dumars is really serious about winning it all this year, he has to evaluate Curry soon, and if Curry is seen to be a stumbling block, he must be fired.
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I just wanted to concentrate on these two points.

I think Allen played more Point Guard last night then SG. That is why his numbers looked good. He also played a majority of those minutes with Rip. I have said it before and will say it again.

The problem is not whether AI or Rip need to sit but AI needs to take over the PG minutes for the second unit. He needs to take over those minutes that MC has been trying to give to Bynum. AI is better with the ball in his hands so put it there.

We can be more then our individual parts but we need to get the combination of players on the floor together right. Stuck is fine running the point for the starting unit and for Rip. When it is time for Stuck to get a breather we need AI on the floor.

As seen last night; he can be productive if he defers a little to Rip when Rip is on the floor. He has the ability to improvise if teams try to take Rip's jumper away. He can get the second unit running and scoring easy buckets.

The two of them can coexist but AI needs to be scoring option #1 to start the games and has to defer to Rip in order for Rip to be effective when they are on the floor together.

I hope that last night was an eye opener for MC and that he concentrates on rotations that only put two of those three on the floor together. Stuck can get his minutes at the 1. Rip will get his minutes at the 2. AI can get his minutes at the 1 and the 2. AND TAY SHOULD PLAY THE 3 EXCLUSIVELY.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Agree with you on this. Tay should play the 3 exclusively, not Point Forward. NOT THE POINT!!! esp when either AI or Stuck is in the game.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

After a dismal start and firing the coach Twolves are 9-2 since McHale took the bench. I'd like to see Joe take the bench...or hire Laimbeer :fingerscr
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Which should be always!!
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would be in favor of Joe doing this if we fall below .500 say in the next 10 games...but I don't think he would put his rep on the line the way McHale had to do and then fail more so than Curry is doing.

Laims would be an interim coach at best with no guarantee that he would get the job next season unless he went on to win the title ala Steve Fisher...

But since he won't get the chance, we can only speculate like we always do....:obiwan:
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

As Mike Curry would say, "The stuff rolls downhill".

No way Joe takes over coaching the team, and no way he pays off Curry early. Bad news is, THEY GOOD CURRY will be back next year, even if this team only wins 40 games.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only danger with MC is if he completely loses the players mentally and there is some sort of mutiny that hurts our ability to attract FA's, or re-sign expiring contracts for cheaper amounts.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mike Curry is immune to danger. His middle name is danger.

One time, Mike Curry wrestled a lion to death with his bare hands.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am worried/concerned about this too TaS. And also the team and Joe giving up on this season with complacency and finishing with a first burnout and then possibly sitting out the post season in 09-10.

An uninspired rough and tough 09-10 season may be enough to have some of the FA's ignore Joe's offers next-next summer..expecially if MC is still around struggling and fumbling his way around the bench..
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Excellent point...Detroit is a FA destination of choice only if we're winning. I think Curry has already lost this team.
  19. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

Sorry but I think our paint protection was pretty good with Kwame in except for the Skola pick and rolls. It is almost impossible to beat a team that shoots close to 70% from the perimmiter. We hand hands in their faces and like Mr. Blaha would say...they coulnd't be bothered. I do not fault the Pistons for losing this one. I fault the ref for betting on the game and calling Dyce's rebound and put back, a foul before the shot. The only call this year that I saw that was a blatently a bad call was in the game with phoneix vs (can't remember...jazz,portland?) where Grant Hill took the ball to the hoop to end regulation and was almost flagrantly fouled but did not get the call. Even the commentators and Espn said it was a "strange" no-call. Same with the Dyce no-call here.

P.S. And what the Hail is with players arguing a call to the ref<Skola on the out of bounds possesion> and getting the refs to overturn the original call?!? Not to mention the rediculous reset of the shot clock?
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was pretty bad. When I saw Curry stand up and start yelling I was happy to see him going to bat for the players. But then it became apparent that he was yelling at our players that the shot clock had been reset.