Houston Rockets Jan. 25th, 6:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

1st quarter; No Amir 39 points

3rd quarter; Amir starts and exits the game at 2:45 mark. HOU has 20 points in that time span.

2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

there are many bigs on this team.. amir, kwame, maxiell whatever..

lots of quantity, but no quality

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well..... a valiant effort, but even with three bigs in there down the stretch, we could not get that key board and then T-mac runs right through Tay to score what was the winning hoop, prior to Artest hitting his 3 FT's.

Then sheed rushes the potential game tying three with 10 seconds on the clock.

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Sry, but foul prone noscoring pf can't resolve every issue.
    Don't you think it is little too much to claim "all it comes down to one player?"

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

would have liked to see amir get a chance to close this one out with sheed. results may have been the same but amir was actully playing with some confidence. could have been a good step in his development today.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not when it happens over and over again. His play is contagious. Sheed resembles an actual human being next to him.

7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The problem was the defensive rotations, and the quickness of our bigs getting out to their shooters. That is what Amir excels at. Certainly moreso than Kwa-May Brown. AJ certainly would have helped.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

If sheed's mood is dependent on certain player then it is right time to ask what are you doing in NBA, sheed? I mean there are plenty of less talented and paid player who play and fight regardless of situation...

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This team just needs some consistency. One game we score like its nothing, but then we give points up as well. The next game we have shut down defense, but can't make us of any of the scoring ability we have on the team. I don't know when this team will come together, but they just have to. They just won't play like this for the rest of the season. There are way too many games left for this crap to continue.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Turned out to be a close game, despite us giving up 40 in the first quarter. Apparently, Curry felt sorry for Kwame, and so let him start a game - even though Ming was out. And even though Kwame was therefore a bad fit for this game. In contrast, we had a pretty decent 3rd quarter defensively, where Amir started.

Rip was on fire in the 2nd quarter, missed several shots in the 4th, seemingly shooting us out of the game, but then made some. In all, he was easily our leading scorer. Stuckey was in foul trouble, but scored well and did not turn the ball over.

AI gave us some scoring. He did not play but just the very start of the 4th quarter.

Afflalo just played good D. We had a good run with him in. Curry made a mistake by not having him in to start the 4th quarter - but corrected it - after we got way behind though.

The Dyess / Sheed combo did ok, especially for a brief stretch in the 2nd quarter before they put TMAC and Artest back in. I like that Dyess was playing near the basket on offense a lot.

Sheed did a lot of scoring, inside and out. Great game for him, but he, and then Afflalo, put up air balls when we needed a three to tie the game. Darn.

JMAX did nothing special in this one.

For Houston, Scola could not miss. They shot great at the three line. And they made there free throws.

In contrast, we were terrible at the line. Rip made his though.

Now, since we lost, here will come the doom and gloomers. I don't blame them completely, as Curry does continue to make mistakes. He corrected some tonight, but made more. The 2nd unit was going great to end the 2nd, and he left them in. (Tay got the rest.) That is good coaching. He did not go small to end the game. (That is acceptable coaching.)

All for now. Good game. You take away the mistake of not starting Amir, and this is most likely a win. Maybe Curry will get better. At least tonight he showed some signs.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You know when the commentators interview coaches between quarters? Well they interviewed Curry at the end of the 3rd and I was just hoping he sounded smart in the interview. Just so I could have confidence in his coaching ability. All he said though was "they are penetrating cuz they are good" or "they have Ron (Artest) at the 4 so its hard to stay in front".

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mike Curry on the Rockets,

"They good."

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I just hope he's really bad at interviews. There is no way he sounds like that in the huddle or in practice. No way.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wasn't referring to Sheed's mood but to Amir's quickness helps Sheed's game on defense and makes him look not 34.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Symbolic play of the game: ca. 2 minutes left in the game, Rockets lead down to (I think) two. Rockets get four straight posessions in a row off of three offensive rebounds. I can't remember in my life seeing a team get three offensive rebounds in a row, let alone in crunch time of a close game. On the fourth, Houston scored, the time was down to a minute left. Pistons did what they had to do from then on, but there wasn't enough time.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons problems are simple and they have been the same for at least 4 years. Everything they do is for their guards and their guards do not make any plays for them. 2 guards, 3 guards or 4 it does not matter. I think I counted 7 plays they made to get someone (on their team) a bucket tonight.

I don't know WTF some of y'all are watching, but the contrast to me is obvious. HOU offense goes something like this. Guard takes the ball, waltzes into the middle of the Piston D and gets an easy shot for a front court player. That is not an exaggeration, it had to have happened 20-25 times tonight.

DET’s goes something like this. Dribble, dribble, dribble and look for my own shot. That’s if they’re lucky and don’t pick their dribble up 35 feet from the hoop.

The rest doesn't matter. The lack of rebounding at the end of the game only masks the fact that they wouldn't have scored if they had gotten the ball back. The missed free throws only distract from the fact that it doesn't matter if the name is Hamilton, Iverson (possibly the worst interior passer I've ever seen - Rajon Rondo with a bag over his head would do a better job), Stuckey or Afflalo, they’re all guarding Charles Barkley. Any and all comers will go around, through or over them.

It's over man, it's over. F' me.

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Just when you thought it was safe to say "The teal era was long long ago", comes the new menace...

May we officially usher in..........

Here it comes..........

Wish I had the skills to change the picture to Curry and Company...

The Binary Bunch...

[​IMG]

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It may have been mentioned but one play that stuck out for me was the play to end the third quarter. Iverson has the ball dribbles down the clock and instead of penetrating...he passes to Rasheed for a contested 3 pointer which he missed. Sheed rips off his headband and stomps to the bench.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

If everything depends on quickness of one role player, isn't time to ask from other players, what are they doing in this roster?

I'm not picking on you, my point is that team CAN'T rely so heavily on one (half)bench player...

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He was upset he let the forum down with a "bad" 3.