1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Away Houston Rockets - Friday, April 7, 2017

Discussion in 'April 2017' started by roscoe36, Sep 25, 2016.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Houston Rockets

Friday, April 7, 2017 - 8:00 PM Eastern

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 105.1 FM

GO PISTONS!

2. roscoe36

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Another great win coming up for the other team.

SirKeeper, Mogilny, S.J. and 2 others like this.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Must..... I've lost my train of thought.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

......sit Andre Drummond.

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. max

max All-Star

Watch the Pistons lose to the Rockets Tonight at 8pm

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

our tank doesn't have legs

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Stan promises to play Boban and Ellenson so three's that to look forward to.

SirKeeper and roscoe36 like this.
  9. lapiston

lapiston All-Star

Time to sum up an awful season considering the expectations of everyone including myself.

Management will come up with this explanation: Well, Reggie wasn't Reggie so the offense stalled. This also hurt Andre's offense. Reggie can return to form next year and the Pistons will be back in the playoffs.

Let's break this argument down. Ok, at least the focus is on a failed offense. And at least management identifies a guard oriented problem. The first time I saw the team this year I was stunned at the lack of offensive flow. But Stan's comments were always about lack of effort.

Notice no mention of the shooting guard who offered little offensive help in the 10 games or so when the playoffs were on the line. Why? Because Pope will probably be resigned to a contract well in excess of his actual contributions. Why? Because the team does not want to admit that another rebuild is likely the best remedy. Keep in mind that the Pistons finished the season as a bottom ten team. You usually rebuild in that situation.

How good was Reggie last year? My thoughts back then were that I hope he makes it. It wasn't a given that Reggie was going to be the solution at guard. Reggie has flashes of brilliance but so do many NBA players that play at a journeyman level the rest of the time. It is not at all certain that Reggie is a top tier guard when on his game. And, even if Reggie returns to form, the pairing with Pope does not work. Reggie at his best needs another ball handler/scorer next to him. That is not Pope.

The danger of management's notion to bring this team back (do fans really want this team back??) is that Andre's development is, to some extent, tied to the guard situation. If the gamble on Reggie/Pope doesn't work, so goes the Andre experiment. So a lot is really on the line. And keeping things as they are may lock the team into mediocrity with nowhere to go for years to come. It is a bit of a crossroads.

The league has the Piston offense measured. It is more likely that the Pistons will win less rather than more next year with this same group.

It is time to step back and do a rebuild. Harris is a keeper. Morris has talent or could be used in a trade. One more shot at trying to win with Andre or he too must be moved. It is about winning.

10. roscoe36

All growth comes from pain. Without struggle there is literally no evolution.

I don't think SVG talked only about effort on offense. I have watched every presser super close. He legit doesn't have answers. Some nights the ball doesn't go in the hoop. Some nights the guys don't pass or execute the plays. Maybe that means SVG needs to go, although I loved Orlando's offense when they went to the Finals. SVG was ahead of his time with the 3 ball and the inside-out game.

If you were betting your own precious money, the status quo will probably rule this offseason. I don't see SVG or Tom (who SVG consults on EVERY MAJOR decision) making any drastic moves until they are 99% confident of what they are dealing with.

You don't reach the level Tom has reached in life by being ruled by emotion or taking decisions quickly.

So suck it up, my dear buttercups. More pain is on the menu. That shouldn't surprise you because you're either on the way up or the way down. Does this team look like a team on the way up?

SirKeeper, lapiston and S.J. like this.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm preparing a few things to say when the season is over.

Until... I expect to see Ellenson at least 25 minutes today. (I know He won't get more than 12, tough)

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. lapiston

lapiston All-Star

Micro, that is just it. "Does this team look like a team on the way up." I would now have to say no. I agree that chances are that nothing much will be done this summer. A trade is the only possibility for real change but not likely since I think the organization wants to give this group one more run around. But the problem is that resigning Pope and trying one more time--if it doesn't work--could mean being stuck. And it jeopardizes the Andre experiment to boot. Tough situation.

And I wonder if the strategy is based on wishful thinking rather that looking at the cold/hard reality. It is about winning. And the league will go after you if they smell weakness. Right now, the league has the Piston's number.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. roscoe36

I am trying (and mostly failing) to be more Zen these days.

It will all work out. It might work out that we don't play in a Finals again in my lifetime.

I have been completely wrong so many times in my life, I am cautious to be too strident making judgments on most things now.

I do know we aren't a good team, and this didn't happen in the last 3 weeks. It's been happening since getting swept last year. Dre's persistent slacking off is a new thing this year. He played a LOT harder last season IMO.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    kolay likes this.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What frightens me is having Van Gundy coming back under the gun feeling like he has to win now. That attitude is what got them Josh Smith, Charles G et al.

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. roscoe36

It's official. The season is over.

Hunh? Smith was brought in by Dumars. Urgency isn't a bad thing. We'd all like Dre to play with some urgency.

17. roscoe36

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stan looks much more relaxed than normal....almost like being eliminated from the playoffs is a weight off his shoulders.

TheeTFD and roscoe36 like this.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Blame that Raptors loss on KCP's wife who instead of convincing him to stick around a hold his newborn, let him go to the game ....just to make sure that the tank was realized. Other wise we would have won and dropped to that dredded 12 spot in the ping pong derby... Dude saw that we were winning in the first quarter....wife went to the ladies room and he snuck out leaving the baby in the nurses hands............arrived at the palace and things went down hill from there.

roscoe36 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Free Boban!!