Houston Dec 23 6PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 20, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

Houston Dec 23 6PM

tv: FSN

Be nice if they decided on a start time for Sunday games and stuck with it. I like this time better than the 12:30 PM start time last week but it would have helped the Pistons against this contending West Coast team.

Houston won the last one so its time for some payback.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Houston is at Chicago tonight.

McGrady was injured during the week.

We shouldn't have too much trouble with them, especially if McGrady is out.

:hoops:

3. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

houston's second unit played well. We have to match that. I dont doubt our second unit as well. I don't expect a blow out so i don't think stuckey would play

4. buddahfan

Everyone plays well against the Bulls except us.

We are big favorites today.

I think another double digit win by us is most likely

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The Rockets were on their 4th game in 5 nights, but they managed to hang around until T-Mac and then Yao both left the game in the third quarter with injuries. Yao might have been able to return after getting cut on the head on a collision with his teammate, but the Pistons' starters pushed their lead up 18 by the end of the 3rd quarter to put it out of reach.

Sheed was huge early, and then Dice and Rip led the way in the 3rd quarter. Balanced scoring for the Pistons with 5 guys between 12 and 17 points. The bench struggled early in the 2nd quarter, but Jarvis and JMax got going to help build a bigger lead by halftime. Garbage time was ugly, aside from JMax abusing Mutombo several times before he came out for Amir with about 6 minutes left. Stuckey and Primos both got real playing time in the last 2 minutes of the first half, but they both struggled as the Pistons gave up several points off the lead, with Yao abusing Primos after struggling against very solid D from both Sheed and Dice earlier.

7. buddahfan

Scola took AJ to school real good after AJ stuffed the old man.

AJ's defense has a long long way to go. Got to do a lot more than rebound and block shots.

Hot Rod is as rusty as a 20 year old car in Detroit.

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

He took Max to school some too, Buddha...Scola's got way more experience than either of them.

9. buddahfan

Exactly

Got to play to get experience especially on defense. Got to do a ton of homework and watch tapes, tapes and more tapes.

Got to make sure Sheed is in your fav five.

Maxey is ahead of AJ on defense.

You are correct, Scola is an excellent player with tons of experience in Europe.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is a very, very, very, very good basketball team. As Pistons fans we are so spoiled it's not even funny. Our game to game expectations are so unreasonable it should be acrime. Today the team in no way played it's best ball, yet we actually got up by 20 pts in the 2nd half, rested our starters for the 4th qtr (again) and won by 12 pts because our rookie PG-Stud, struggled to run the team.

On another note, Primo looks so goofy running around out there. Sheed, Dyess, Max and AJ are so athletic, smooth and fluid that avg big men look hilarious compared to those guys.

AA sucked tonight, 0-3 from the floor, and he missed a FT, Trade this bust of a draft pick quick.:)

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Pistons stayed in control for pretty much the whole game. Prince and Sheed started out hot, with Sheed especially determined to reverse the previous decision vs. Houston. Sheed hit some triples, and got inside for some strength type jumpers.

Rip just keeps making shots. How steady can a guy get. And it does not hurt that he is tall enough to post up their short guards so much.

Billups hit some shots.

Dyess missed some useless outside jumpers early, but then wow, he actually decided to go inside a few times instead of settling for the fade - a - way. The result was that he actually helped the team. He drew fouls, and he made his free throws. Indeed, we had Houston in foul trouble at position after position. And Dyess had another fine rebounding game.

Dyess got player of the game, but JMAX certainly made a case for himself. A super block on TMAC. Successful post move after successful post move. Generally going strong to the middle, rising up over the entire world, and canning the short jumper. JMAX also hit some outside shots, including a shot clock beater off an inbounds play with one second to go. Plus he made all but one of several free throws.

Amir only got some garbage time at the end of the game. Still, almost 6 minutes worth, better than nothing. A block on Mutombo was his highlight. Amir got some shot attempts in too, as Stuckey was running the show and doing a good job of distributing the ball.

Stuckey played most of the 4th quarter, and it was not all garbage time. We had a good lead, but there was plenty of time left in the game. A nice assist really was his only highlight, but its great to see him taking some shots, and running the offense. He also got two minutes to end the 2nd quarter. Hunter did the backup point guard chores to start the 2nd quarter, and did not do much.

This game is a bit tainted since TMAC went out injured early in the 3rd quarter with the game still in doubt, followed a few minutes later by Ming after getting an inadvertent elbow from Sheed. TMAC has a knee injury of some type that got reagravated.

Great coaching? Naw. Playing McDyess that much with so little rest in the 1st half marred an otherwise good coaching effort. If Amir had played first half minutes, I would be applauding Flip. But he did not. He also did not bring Jason Maxiell in early in the first. Its like he thinks this is a big game, and tightened up just a bit on his rotation. Relax, the more the young kids play, the more we are going to beat teams up. Energy is the key.

Brezec played mostly garbage time, but also played at the end of the 2nd half. As a team, we did not do so well at that time, but hey, what can you tell in 2 minutes - not much. Brezec canned a pair of free throws after getting fouled on a cut to the basket, got a dunk. He was abused pretty bad by Ming. Got to mention Dyess here as he played great D on Ming. So did Sheed.

Good to see Hayes knock down a few shots from the outside. I hope that is a trend, but I still want to see other players get a fair shot at that playing time.

Murray did not dress. Neither did Fabio nor Samb who is recovering from a broken jaw. (Which does not need surgery - back in 2 - 4 weeks last we heard.)

20-7 ain't none to shabby. Great. But Flip has to start realizing that there is never an excuse to exclude Amir in first halves. He needs the experience. Sure he looked like he needs experience. He does. But did you see just how high Amir got up to block Mutombo, or how high he was flying to gather in that rebound. How about noticing that on transition D, he is right there hounding the guy with the ball trying to get to the basket. Quickness really helps on transition D.

Afflalo mostly just deferred to everyone else, played solid D. Its guys like him who are willing to sacrifice, and give guys like Stuckey and Amir, who really need the shot ops, the ops they need, that so quickly endear themselves to you. Thanks.

GO PISTONS!!!!!! AND GO FLIP!!!!! (for getting it mostly right tonight.)

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Flip admittedly hates going away from lineups that are playing well. Dyess had a fantastic game sans his usually reliable 17'er, so you know Flip wasn't trying to pull him out of the game. As this team plays better it's going to be a new challenge for Flip to stick to a consistent sub pattern.

He just knows what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. He just KNOWS how to play the game of basketball in a way that helps his team win. While it may not be so noticable, his D was fantastic, Luther Head was hot early, when I checked the boxscore Head ended the game 4-12, AA locked him down on a night where he had it going early. Also Mike James, a gunning scoring guard did not even get a shot off while in the game, BTW AA was checking him, coincedence????

13. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

just a couple of observations:

i like amir's energy on defense, but he's not very efficient defensively. but i'm sure that will improve.

brezec may not look smooth, but he plays hard out there, like someone who really wants to be a part of the team, regardless of the role.

the team looks really strong, even when it doesn't play its best game. comparing it to two years ago (with the super fast start), this team looks so much more substantial.

lastly

we decorated christmas cookies tonight and my girlfriend and i made these.

happy holidays everyone!

Facebook | Santiago Colas's Photos - Pistons Christmas Cookies

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True, very true. And historically Joe has shown that he's willing to pay about 3.5 million/yr for his insurance Big Man. If Brezec can work on his defensive footwork, then he's a real gem. I could see Joe offering him a 2yr/$5-$7mill deal after the season.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Prof, don't let The Low anywhere near that Flip Sr. cookie! I like the description of why he's frowining...:pound:

17. buddahfan

I think that Flipper is doing the right thing right now playing Brezec ahead of AJ.

It keeps AJ working hard.

As long as AJ can get minutes here and there I thing he will not get down and go south in attitude like Darko, who really didn't get any minutes.

Let AJ earn the time ahead of Brezec.

I think it is a very fine line with players knowing how many minutes to play them, when to play them and when to remove them, especially the young players.

The one thing I would not like to see is AJ getting a lot of DNP coach's decision or a lot of games of only 2 or 3 minutes in garbage time.

Maybe you take some minutes from Dyess and give them to Maxey and then take some of Maxey's minutes and give them to AJ.

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I don't know. If a young, highly touted player gets promises of minutes coming into the year, gets nothing, there is already an issue. Then he sees a new guy come in, and without earning it, already gets some minutes spoon-fed to him. You gotta put yourself in Amir's shoes.

It's starting to look more an more like the Darko situation. Granted, Amir isn't as Emo as Darko, but you can tell he's discouraged when he's out there in garbage time night after night. Everytime he makes a bad play, fouls, etc, he hangs his head.

I don't think we're at the point of no return, but something will have to change pretty quick. I don't think Amir is satisfied with 3 straight years of no playing time. And considering we've got Dice, Sheed, and Max all locked up for next year, a 4th straight looks very likely. Amir isn't stupid, he sees this as well and it can get into a young guys' head.

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think you guys could be more off base in terms of Amir. Amir will be the starting PF as soon as he adds another 15-25 lbs of muscle. Amir's development has been methodical and brillaint.

• Amir was paid a mid-6-figure salary to display his NBA game during his Fresh and Soph seasons
    • Amir should be a Jr @ Louisville right now.
    • Right now Amir is being paid as if he were the 4th pick in the draft, after coming out after his sophmore season
    • He's getting time, just not alot.
    • He knows Dyess and Sheed are getting older and his time to shine is coming.
    • He does not have the pressure (via media, fans, self-imposed) that Darko had.
    Amir is in a dream situation and he knows it. I will say that I wish the Pistons would have committed to his development like the Lakers did with Bynum. In defense of the org. Bynum was a high 1st rd pick and a definite 7' center, Amir was a very late 2nd rd pick with a question mark about what position he would play.

20. buddahfan

If that is the case then he definitely should be playing. 20 year olds can lose focus pretty quick. So if he isn't getting enough PT to keep him focused and working hard then Flipper should increase his PT, within reason. I would not want to see him ahead of Sheed, Dyess or Maxey at this point.

In the long run if he is going to be really successful he has to be tough and just keep working hard and harder, regardless of whether he gets minutes or not, because it will pay off for him.

The mental aspect of all sports is more important to being successful at top level than the physical skills. Big Ben and William Bedford are two former Pistons who are perfect examples of that. Bedford had great physical skills, but mentally he never got it together. Big Ben made himself a great player by continuing to work harder than everyone else. Rodman was the same. He worked his tail off.

Of course some young guys like Rodman need a father figure like Daddy Rich whereas as I recall Big Ben got his from his family and extended family.

AJ like all young players needs the proper encouragement and love from the right place in order to keep him focused when times are tough.

If by nature he is not a very vocal person it is tougher because non talkers have a far more difficult time communicating their feelings and needs than people who more extroverted.

People who are more introverted have to draw their mental and emotional strength from within, whereas extroverted people draw most of their mental and emotional strength from their relationships. So for a quiet introverted person a lot can go wrong before others realize that it has and can do something to help. The best way for a quieter person to overcome this liability in my opinion, is to have one or two really good friends who know that person really well and can tell quickly if something is mentally or emotionally disturbing that person and be trusted enough to be listened to.