1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Here's an idea..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jan 30, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Here's an idea...

Step 1: Tank the rest of the season ~ should be enough to get M. Smart in the draft.

Step 2: Trade G. Monroe. I'm looking for a scoring wing. From best to worst options: K. Thompson, B. Beal, B. McLemore, (pick to get) G. Harris, H. Barnes.

Step 3: There's going to be enough cap-space to sign a max-FA. I'd push PHI to the limit to get E. Turner. If that doesn't work, I guess I'd settle for R. Gay. He's a bit of an enigma, but the man scores points. The other options inlcude G. Hayward(RFA), L. Deng(UFA), T. Ariza(UFA), D. Granger(UFA). I'd go with Gay ~ and don't talk to me about trading for another starter, bc next to Monroe, there's nothing on this roster of value, to anyone.

Step 4: New coach. Not going to get into it here. I'm not going to get into the bench at this point either.

But look at the starting five - that's a start, isn't it?

C: A. Drummond
    PF: J. Smith
    SF: R. Gay
    SG: K. Thompson
    PG: M. Smart

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am on the fence here. Milwaukee, Boston and Orlando have already started tanking....we can't too long if we are going to start the tanking process, but I would rather see a trade for a shooter/defender and some growth in the team that MoJo is sending out there every game.

Right now the goal is to be the 6-best team in the conference this year, or at least the 4th worst team in the league overall. Right now we are 9th best in the conference and the 10th worst in the league...in other words, we are stuck in the middle with no projected payoff in the end.

3. blueadams

Klay Thompson's a great shooter!

And I know. It sucks and it's hopeless. We'll go on a winning streak to end the season, like always, not have a chance at Trey Burke, then pass on him when we do, and we'll have a chance to make a lot of smart trades, but get scared/ask for too much and just sign Gigi Datome instead.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  4. LA Dre

Klay Thompson is good, but kind of streaky. He is on my fantasy team and has shot under 34% in six out the Warriors last 10 games.
    But his 41% three point shooting is better than anyone we have and he may be better if he wasn't playing second banana or trying to match Steph Curry for 3 ball proficiency....but I don't see the Warriors splitting up the Splash Brothers

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd have to know who the coach is before I can comment on this lineup.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

I really like the thought of pairing up Josh Smith and Rudy Gay.

That shouldn't be stressful to watch at all.

KGREG, del, linwood and 1 other person like this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Personally, if I was putting together a coaching staff from scratch to lead that lineup, it might look something like this:

HC: Isiah Thomas
    AHC: Lenny Wilkens
    DefAC: Nolan Richardson (Lionel Hollins, if he's interested?)
    OffAC: Paul Westphal
    PD-Bigs: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    PD-Wings: Adrian Dantley
    Vid/W.O.AC: John Beilein recommendation(?)

GM: Me
    AstGM: Larry Brown
    DirB.O.: Dork Elvis's top man(?)
    DirSco: Bobby Knight
    AdvSco: Jerry Sloan
    Sco: R.C. Buford's top man(?)
    DirB.D.: Greg Kampe

*Consultant: John Beilein

linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  8. LA Dre

So no room for Lee to at least be the locker room coach reviewing the tapes and providing +/- analysis?

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Tom Gores: "Jerry, how ya doing? This is Tom Gores, owner of the Detroit Pistons."

Jerry Sloan: 'Hi."

TG: "I hear you're looking to get back into the NBA."

JS: "Well I'm working as a consultant for Utah now. It's pretty good, I don't really do anything and they pay me pretty well to sit at home."

TG: "You don't say. Anyway, we've got a position here that we think you'd be perfect for."

JS: "Eh, I'm not really looking to get back into….."

TG: "Jerry, I know we have a spotty reputation around the league, but I am committed to turning things around here."

TG: "Money is no object!"

JS: "Thanks. I just don't know if I want to get back into the grind of coaching. That's what I told Memphis and the Clippers this summer. I'm older now, you know?"

TG: "Jerry, that's why this is perfect. We don't want you to coach, we want you to be our advanced scout!"

TG: Forget the challenge and glamour of coaching for a second and think about how you can be thanklessly traveling the country in anonymity and sleeping in roadside motels instead! You like to drink, right?"

JS: "Why on earth would I want to do that? I coached in the league for 20 years. We made the Finals!"

TG: "You drive a hard bargain, Mr. Sloan. I respect that. I said money was no object and I'm prepared to offer you $37,500.00 a year for the position."

TG: "Hello?"

coynejeremy, KGREG, blueadams and 2 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Ok so, we are going to have to win less than 25% of our games for this to work out. I doubt that will happen.

I agree with you on a scoring wing being something we need, and also that we need to trade Moose. However, I will say that a S&T is going to be a much better option that trading him before the deadline.
    1 - Klay Thompson. Give me one reason why GSW would give up their second best perimeter shooter and a key reason their offense is so brutally good for a worse version of David Lee, who already happens to be on their team? Sacramento tried the 'how many guys can you get at one position' strategy and it worked out pretty bad. Thinking about it, so did we. Blergh.
    2 - B Beal. I think this is the one trade that might actually work. Beal looks unhappy with the Wizards and is a very talented player. Personally I think that we would get screwed in a trade like this, but who knows.
    3. McLemore. Never going to happen. Period.
    4 - G. Harris. Who is this? If I don't know his name I don't want him.
    5 - Harrison Barnes. I don't think this guy is a premier wing scorer, or indeed a wing scorer at all. He is scoring 10 points a game with a 9.8 PER on one of the best offensive teams in the NBA. How good could he possibly be?

Rudy Gay has quietly resurged in Sacramento. But it is because of the team he is playing for. I doubt we can get that much out of him because we simply don't have the offensive firepower to surround him with. Plus I wouldn't pay max money for him, not yet. He hasn't earned it.

Smart has been shooting <30% from deep this year. I see no reason as to why he is any better than Brandon Jennings. I would love to hear why he is though.

blueadams likes this.
  11. blueadams

Smart's 100x the defender Jennings is. He's a great intangibles guy. And he's not a great outside shot, but he finds ways to score and is a true point guard. Big enough to handle the 2 if you want Jennings out there with him.

Gay is flawed. Seriously flawed. But I just don't see much else out there..

GS has an abundance of perimeter players and no one down low. So I thought it might make sense for them?

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd rather be bad than be bad with a flawed guy. Just wait until the right fit comes along.

linwood likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh Lord......

I actually like that idea.

Me too....I'm wit'cha!
    I like Turner too.....but I wouldn't pay him $10M....Philly will.
    1. Gay won't opt out this year. 2. Do you really want to see Smith, Jennings and Gay launching bricks from the perimeter? On the bright side, Dre will have plenty of Offensive Rebs to go after.
    Dre?

No explanation necessary.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And THAT is how we ended up paying Josh Smith $14M/yr!

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd trade Monroe for Otto Porter. I don't think he's a bust at all, nor is he a stud, but I think hes a great glue guy for Dre to grow up with.

Personally I think Lance Stephenson is the perfect free agent for this team, again, a great guy for Dre to grow up with.

16. LA Dre

Since this is the here's an idea, what if speculation thread, what kind of BS can we sell to Kyrie Irving's agent to convince him to sign here in the summer of 2016? I mean by then Dre should have enhanced his game to the dominant level enough to play better D and get his FT % up to 60% and KCP should be averaging a double-double then of 11-11...................

Report: Kyrie Irving privately saying he wants to leave&nbsp;Cleveland | SI Wire

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still like Smith, just not on the perimeter. I just want to see Larry Brown coaching him I guess.

He never took this many long J's in his career until now. And he was always a good defender until now.

brofmfa likes this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Forget Irving. Lets go after Wall. Much better player.

19. LA Dre

Yeah I concur there, but the Wizards are on the rise, so Wall will probably resign,..... plus everyone would rather play in DC, than Cleveland..

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we should get bennet while his stock is low. Trade mitchell and siva, and toss in $300k cash.