Heat in serious talks to trade Shaq

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MisterZ, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

Heat in serious talks to trade Shaq - 02/05/2008 - MiamiHerald.com
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I guess if he's healthy, he can help PHX to a title. But is he healthy enough to get through another playoff grind? Seems like a big risk to me.
  3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I can see it now, Shaq will fall on Grant Hill`s ankle and all hell will break out!!!!!!!!!:pound::pound::pound::pound:

And if that doesn`t happen, I guess with Shaq, the Suns will walk it up court.........verrrrrrrrrrrry sloooooooooooowly!!!
  4. ggazoo69

Good point, dlev. O'Neal can't run with the Suns. He'd be dying out there.
  5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Shaq with the Suns. I love it. Next to the Celtics they are my least favorite team and I would love to see them go down hill fast.

I dislike D'Antoni even more than most posters on this forum dislike Flipper.

:hoops:
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Suns? I can't see that working at all.

I'm all for other teams making bad trades as long as it doesn't hurt the Pistons. IMO, the Heat would benefit too much from a trade like that for my liking.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Weird trade for the Suns; I don't know why they would do it, unless they think Marion is really poisoning their chemistry or something.

Jammer, why would you be worried about the Heat? They're 28 games under .500!
  8. ggazoo69

I think he meant a lopsided trade in their favor could help them next season.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Stupid trade if it goes down. Just seems like a reaction/desperation move to the LAL trade.

Great for MIA, Wade/Marion, and a future top 10 pick. And if Marion opts out thats 17 mil coming off the books.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly. I couldn't care less for this season, but long term, this deal would make the Heat younger, healthier, better and cheaper (they'd have more money for FAs).

I wouldn't say that I'm worried, but as a rule of thumb, I don't like it when Conference opponents improve - especially ones with D-Wade.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So the 2 fastest tempo teams in the NBA are getting middle aged centers who can't run?

There must be something to this 4-man fast break concept.

I'm curious to see it in action.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I love Joe D. I love his refusal to make trades, just to make trades. This makes Phx a do or die team. Amare will be available soon. Seems as if mgmt only cares about winning for Nash, who aint getting any younger. You're now starting Hill, Nash and Shaq???? All Phx had to do was hold onto Kurt Thomas- for cheap, now you go get the "Big Always Injured"
  13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Steve Kerr has to be the dumbest man alive.:pound:

How did Riley pull this off?:sssh:
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Looked at the recent trades by other teams and I must say I'm so proud of the Pistons, so happy to have Joe D. here. Go Pistons.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The more i think about this deal, the more i see the upside for the Suns.

Marion is making 17 mil, and can opt out and they basically get nothing, or he could force a trade.

He's become from what i'm hearing a locker room drama queen, and not making the all-star team instensified that. Also, if you watch the Suns play this year, it's obvious the chemistry is shot.

The previous team will not beat the Spurs or the Lakers so really they were stagnant. Shaq is kinda make or break at this point, but i could see how they think if he's motivated and healthy he might be a difference maker for them, and he will be surrounded by shooters.

And the fans were incensed about the KT move and failure to pay the lux tax, this kills the doubt that winning isn't a priority.

And Shaq is an expiring next year (?). That's a huge contract. And if they can exchange picks w/ MIA, the deal becomes a really good idea.

edited to add;

Also in terms of the Pistons, they're not in the West. Otherwise i think they would be forced to make some kind of move. It's not hard to stay competitive in the East.
  16. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Shaq is not expiring next year, he's owed something like 20 or 25 million dollars per year through 2010.

If Shaq was expiring this year, Miami would have been able to trade him easily.

Given the current market for players I don't think Marion would want to opt out, it doesn't seem likely another team would sign him (for more than that) especially since his stats are inflated due to playing in Phoenix's system with Nash.

Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is this trade is HILARIOUS. I'm soooo happy I'm not a Suns fan, what a terrible front office.
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It is unique, that's for sure. Maybe Marion is more of a problem than we know or has told them that he will opt out, and is forcing a move now. Hard to explain otherwise.

Though it still seems like Shaq would be pretty far down the list of ideal players to join the suns. Marion would get you Ben Wallace and Luol Deng from Chicago. Ben's contract is longer than Shaq's, but he could bring a toughness the Suns sorely need, and Deng would fit right in.
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

However, if Joe D could sucker Riley into taking shaq for some useless contracts and draft picks (CBA?) we'd be a lock for this year's title, Dolphin or not.
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Right. Shaq's contract is for 20 mil per through the end of the 2009-2010 season. If getting him will really improve the Suns and get them at least to the finals, then it could arguably be worth it for Phoenix, but I don't see that happening. If they were determined to move Marion, OK, but why Shaq, for crying out loud? Like dba said, how about finding a better deal?
  20. jslove1408

jslove1408 Second Round Draft Pick

Well the good news is we don't have to put up with shaq or marion tonight so I hope we can get the zoo crew some good pt.