Has Flip won a Championship at any level?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I tried to find it on his resume, and maybe I missed it, but all I could find was that he won in college as an assistant coach.

He is one of the winningest coaches in CBA (?) history.

But has he ever shown the ability to win the big game?

Anyone?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You must not have looked very hard:

He spent the last nine-plus years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, guiding the club to eight consecutive playoff appearances and a franchise-best 58-24 record in 2003-04 – the top record in the Western Conference. During his tenure in Minnesota, Saunders won NBA Western Conference Coach of the Month honors four times (April ’04, February ’03, January ’01, January ’00). As a head coach in the Continental Basketball Association for seven years, he was named CBA Coach of the Year in 1990 and 1992 while coaching the La Crosse Catbirds to two CBA Championships. In September 2001, Saunders guided the United States men’s basketball team to a perfect 5-0 record and gold medal at the Goodwill Games in Brisbane, Australia.

Saunders’ time with Minnesota represented the best years in the franchise’s 16-year history and placed him as the organization’s winningest coach. He posted a winning record in six of his nine full seasons as head coach, won 50-plus games in a season four times and compiled a career record of 411-326 (.558). From 1997-2004, Saunders guided the Timberwolves to eight consecutive playoff appearances, culminating in a trip to the Western Conference Finals in 2004. During the 1997-98 season, he guided Minnesota to its first winning season in franchise history (45-37) and its first postseason victory.

Saunders’ impressive CBA coaching resume includes seven consecutive seasons of 30 or more victories, two CBA Championships (1990, 1992), two CBA Coach of the Year honors (1990, 1992) and 23 CBA-to-NBA player promotions. He ranks third all-time in the CBA with 253 career victories during stops with the Rapid City Thrillers (1988-89), La Crosse Catbirds (1989-94) and Sioux Falls Skyforce (1994-95).

The Cleveland, Ohio native began his successful coaching career at Golden Valley Lutheran College, where he compiled a 92-13 record, including a perfect 56-0 mark at home in four seasons. In 1981, he joined the coaching staff at this alma matter – The University of Minnesota – as an assistant and helped the Golden Gophers to the 1982 Big Ten Championship. After five seasons at Minnesota, Saunders moved to an assistant coach position at the University of Tulsa, where he worked for two seasons before heading to the pro ranks.

Saunders, 50, was an All-America basketball player at Cuyahoga Heights High School in Cleveland. During his senior season, 1973, he was named Ohio’s Class A High School Basketball Player of the Year after averaging a state-high 32.0 points a game. He continued his basketball career at Minnesota, where he teamed with Kevin McHale and led the team to a then all-time school-best 24-3 record and started in 101 of his 103 career games.
  3. Superstarov

Okay, so he won 2 CBA Championships, and a Gold at the Goodwill games.

That's it.

And, no, I didn't look very hard.

I just figured someone else would know...

And maybe we'd have something else to talk about to help pass the next couple of months.
  4. BillLaimbeer

Something else besides "Flip sucks" and "Flip is the sole reason why the Pistons have fallen to the worst franchise in the NBA"? Let's hope so...
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nazr Mohammed is MY NO BEN WALLACE! :)
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Wow Bill! You really seem to be a Flip supporter.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Amen brother... it's an old stale argument.
    Just let the man coach... give him a fair shake... we don't need negative vibes going into a new season.
  8. Pistons33311

Pistons33311 Second Round Draft Pick

In the last 20 years only 6 different coaches won the title. This says 2 things to me

1. It shows how much coaching matters in the NBA which is a lot.

2. Flip has a lot of work to do if he wants in on this list.
  9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Flip's not going to get on the list. I'd like to agree with mercury, and we now know that Ben made Flip's job a lot harder than it had to be. But there's plenty of evidence, Ben aside, that Flip just doesn't get it. If Flip wins, it's because our Remaining 5 play incredible playoff basketball.
  10. Superstarov

I like to think that after a season, Flip will take more control of the team. I think he may have been afraid to interfere with the team's chemistry.

In Flip's defense, he came in with the expectation that he was going to lead the team to the Championship. And he may have been intimidated.

"Here are the keys to a Championship team, go take them home."

I look for Flip to be more pro-active this season.
  11. BillLaimbeer

I'm not totally convinced of Flip's abilities, but someone needs to provide a balance around here...
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Intimidated maybe. Maybe governed tightly from above and not allowed to do what he wanted. Maybe stopped by some of the players who just said no. We'll probably never know which or how much. For me the jury is still out on what Flip can do with this team. I do know though that you only get one incomplete.

Time to put up and make the team his.
  13. hack

Problem is that Flip still has last year's stink on him. Was anyone ever a summer camp counselor, or a teacher? Being a coach is like being a teacher or a counselor -- you gotta take control of your kids from the first minute of the first day, or else it's too late.

Flip will undoubtedly have some greater degree of control. The rest of the guys know that if Flip can win a power struggle against Ben, they're less likely to try the same. But it wasn't just Ben criticizing, it was everyone. Sheed ``knows how to play with 2 fouls'', for example. Thing is, when it comes to having an opinion on what it takes to win championships, our players have a right to think they know better than Flip does. They've been there and he hasn't. So even though Flip will have more control and power, he won't have more respect. I guess the only positive to come out of this is that it's a sink-or-swim situation for Flip. If the team falters again, I can't see Joe giving him another chance.
  14. dba

The players have a right to think that with the right motivation, right opponents, right amount of luck, and right coach they know what it takes to win a championship (singular). Flip has now been to two ECFs (one in Minny), and the gang who couldn't shoot straight this past playoff season only have five more games of experience beyond that. And that was a long time ago in basketball years.

Not sure been there / done that really applies.

If Flip hasn't started changing the way the team plays - getting the bench going, making changes during the game - all that stuff we've said the coach should do, by around the first third of next season, then I'll be the first into the boat with you. But for now I'm not ready to think the players know enough and all the coach needs to do is get out of the way.
  15. hack

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying the group we had didn't need a coach -- they obviously did. But clearly not this one. I'm just saying that it's they think they know better than this coach, and that's not a good dynamic. The chain of command was corrupted, and there's no going back on that.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko = 1 Championship

Flip = 0
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko for Pistons coach!
  18. dba

You might be right. Sure hope not or it's going to be a long season. Hopefully professionalism will win out and a newly unfettered Flip can win the trust.
  19. hack

Or a season that manages to be both long and short...
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Or Flip for backup center that doesn't get any PT!