Has Flip Sr. learned from past mistakes??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok folks, here we are about to embark on perhaps, a championship journey, 2007 style, with Flip Saunders coaching again.

Last year, Flip led us to a regular season that had some thinking a 70 game season, only to fall hard in the postseason.

Did Flip learn anything from last year? Does Sheed, Rip, Tay and CB (well we know CB does) respect his decision making?

One thing in Flip`s favor is - the bench play overall is much better than last year. Probably because..they are PLAYING.

This post season will determine if Flip has learned his lesson from last year. I want to see some adjustments made by the Dolphin against the likes of Riley, Avery Johnson and /or Popovich, hell even Van Gundy (don`t sleep on the Rockets).

Everyone including Flip Saunders is saying they are ready for the second season to start, ok, in two weeks, IT`S ON!!!!

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I say Flip calls good game plans. Will the players execute the plan?????:cheerleader:

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Flip won't adjust. he's playing a statistic game of attrition. its the players that need to adjust their effort level. rather, they need to maintain focus.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Flip has matured somewhat as a coach this season.

He's got the same opportunity he had last year, but with a little more clout in the locker room this time around.

Immortality can be his.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

if anything, he'll at least play the bench a little more than last time.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure I'm ready to join the cheering section on Flip just yet. His inclusion of the 2nd unit was much like Cola's inclusion of Tayshaun: Forced by injury.

He'll have to prove himself to me before I endorse him. Especially if he fails this year and gets more years with which to come up short.

7. Nemo

"He'll have to prove himself to me before I endorse him. Especially if he fails this year and gets more years with which to come up short."

Very good thought.......................

I'm a fan of Flip's, but I'll sit by watching carefully...........with a beer in one hand and a noose in the other.............:gun1:

8. max

max All-Star

What is this his 12th season? 10th? Not sure but he is not some rookie, what you see is what you get.

Was last years playoffs really his fault though? Seems like everyone on the Heat team was playing about as good as they could have played.

9. Pwn Toney

I kind of do think it was his fault...the year before, we didn't double Shaq. We let Ben push him around and tire him out because Wallace is one of the few players physically strong enough to exert some sort of pressure that O'neal can feel. Sure he had his 30 pt games, but in most of those he was tired and lagging by the 4th.

Flips decision to constantly throw double (which sometimes ended up as triple) teams at Shaq allowed him to simply make passes from the post (not exerting as much energy as trying to score) and turn the other Heat players into world beaters as they got way more open looks than they would have had we played Shaq straight up.

In neither '04 or '05 did Shaq score enough on his own to beat us singlehandedly. Plus from scoring more on his own, he was often worn down late in games and less effective overall.

If I was coaching, I would have watched all the game tapes from '04 and '05 against Shaq, in which we were largely successful, and imitated that defensive scheme for its effectiveness against Shaq-led teams. Especially with our roster.

...now sans Ben, that working strategy may be all for naught.

10. max

max All-Star

06 was the 1st post-season when Shaq was playing healthy against us. Plus they had Wade for all the games.

11. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

Glad you came to that conclusion, The Low.

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree with you Low that we probably shouldn`t have doubled Shaq as much as we did last year, however, I don`t believe that was the lone reason for Miami advancing to the Finals.

They beat us in every way you could. Defensively, rebounding, shot a better FG AND FT%, I believe.

They just flat outplayed us.

13. max

max All-Star

I second that. All the Miami role players were just making great plays out there. It was like the whole Miami team paeked at the same time. I think Williams went 10-10 or something in the final game.

This year we have a lot more depth up front so that will help.

I have some family in Chic and they think and the concencious amoungst Bulls fans seems to be that the Bulls will beat the Pistons in the playoffs if we meet. That would be a fun matchup. Right now Clev and Chic are tied and both seem to have cupcake schedules left so we will see.

14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Signs point to no.

15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You hit right on the nail, man.

And the "going to work" was gone too. Sigh.

16. Nemo

Going to work............part time. I hope the playoffs are different.

17. Pwn Toney

That's precisely why I disagree. I honestly believe that we would have fared much better had we used the tactics that had been successful in the past...not just whatever Flip felt like doing because that's what he does.

We were outplayed because we were put in a prime position to fail by our choice to constantly throw double teams at Shaq. It's just like in games when we play quick PGs and they get in the lane all night long....it's only one strategy, but it forces our defense to collapse on a consistent basis and makes it a nightmare for us all game long. Same thing here.

The way Saunders chose to defend Shaq made our gameplan much more difficult all the way around.

....well, that and the falling for hack-a-ben so he could "win a qtr"

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Assuming we play the Heat, I hope Flip has learned what to do with Shaq.

Doubling Shaq early in the game is a good strategy. He has to be played tight in the 1st qtr and be made to work both ends of the floor. Since Webber is kinda useless defending Shaq, I say put the Goon Squad in early to put a body on him. DD is no Elden when it comes to bumping Shaq, but he's a savy well-conditioned vet that can make him work on both ends of the floor. Maxiell has pretty quick hands, a stout physique, hops and the energy of youth to bother Shaq on the defensive end. DD & JMax picking up fouls is not a problem for the Pistons, but Shaq expending energy early is key to getting him in early foul trouble that is usually a HUGE problem for the Heat. Shaq may swat DD & Jmax away like flies, but will get worn down early which takes him off his game most of the time.

The Pistons need to get the ball in the paint in the 1st...3 balls should be jacked as a last resort at an expiring shot clock ONLY. Make the big fella work HARD in the 1st and it can swing the game favorably.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Shaq is definitely a force in the 1st Q.

So, how about this strategy?

Start Dale Davis and tell him to use up all 6 of his fouls in the first 12 minutes. If he only last 6 minutes, bring in Naz.

Shaq will probably get 2 field goals and go to the line 6 times... for 6 points. He'll be tired as heck after that and our starting C won't get in foul trouble.

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

I like your idea of starting DD, except that would send a message to the refs and Shaq would get every call. IMO...starting the starters and bringing DD & Jmax in at around 3-4 minutes might be plausibly innocent to the refs.

Glad you reminded me about Nazr...sometimes I forget he's even here.