Harden to Houston

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Oct 28, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I wouldn't say bandits........but their sticking to a business model which thinks of the team first is impressive.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Simmons tweeted that OKC made between 30-35 million in profit last year (You know, the lockout year.) Their crying poor doesn't seem to hold up.
  4. Nemo

Good point, but the salary cap and luxury taxes are becoming more stringent in the near future.
    They need to look out for the bottom line also...........
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They are looking out for the bottom line, but just like the Pistons did during their last run the bottom line goes straight to the owners pocket and not the team.
  6. Nemo

Joe got to build the team the way he wanted under Davidson.....and the team made 20 million per season his last 6 years.
    Under Davidson's wife.....the team made 30 million per season........and the team ended up going to suckeyville.

To me...........there's a difference between a savvy owner and one who is just stupid and greedy.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Am I missing something here? Kevin martin is a legit 17-20ppg SG, LEGIT! I'd trade Stuckey for him in a heartbeat! Jeremy Lamb has CRAZY potential! Add in 2 1st rd picks too? WTF!!! This is the kind of deal we all dreamed of Joe getting when we began stripping the team down......but Nooooo we trade Chauncey for A.I., GIVE away Afflalo, PAID Rip to leave, and turned CAPP SPAYCE into Corey Maggette and BoT! For a serial trade scenario creator like myself, only in my dreams do you construct a deal this good.
    TaShawn, roscoe36 and mikhail1973 like this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This isn't a good deal for OKC.
    This is a GREAT deal for OKC!

James Harden and Jeremy Lin ...wow.
    The Rockets are going to be overpaying their "decent" backcourt by about $20 million bucks per year.

Hopefully Gores had Dave Checketts call Joe and explain that THIS is not the type of home-run that we're looking for in a trace scenario.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If Harden got market value after all the stars had taken hometown deals (Including players better and by far more important to the team) I could see a lockeroom chemistry problem developing also.

A smart move from a chemistry standpoint and I think we'll see from a talent standpoint. I am just not sold on Harden being a starting star... He is a great 6th man and looks great in that roll, start him and I think he's exposed (sorta like a recent Detroit SG).
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

OKC are true winners in this. Kevin Martin is going to explode this year with Durant & Westbrook getting all the attention on offense. But, THIS is the kicker:
    OKC is likely to go to the finals, and in this summer's draft they'll have extra TWO 1st rounders and a SECOND rounder, plus the Toronto lottery pick is potentially, and very likely, going to be a lottery pick in the 4-14 range. So, they went from having only the 28th pick in the 1st round to having potentially THREE first round picks with one very likely being a lottery pick, plus a second rounder. And, it really isn't too big of a downgrade to go from Harden to Martin. And whatever downgrade that was is offset by the upgrade from Daequan Cook to Jeremy Lamb.

Presti is an awesome GM.
    linwood likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

Another thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that K-Mart's (12.5 mil I think) expires at the end of the year.
    So rather than tying up a bunch of cheddar to resign their 6th man (a SG to boot!), they simply rent Martin (slight downgrade IMO) and remain cap-flexible for the duration of their championship run. Unlike the Heat, they can add pieces to a killer core of Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, etc.

They'll have a bunch of lottery picks contributing on rookie salaries and the ability to add a FA or two at the right price to tailor their team however they want to.
    THIS is the type of move that could potentially set those guys up for a dynastic run.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm pretty high on Jeremy Lamb! I would have done a deal for him with or without Martin. Martin is perfect to play the wing for OKC when they go to the bench, I believe that kid is going to be a STUD!
  13. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I am actually less and less hot on Harden the more I think about it. Especially for a max contract. If Houston pays him max and ties him up for 5 years, they are spending something like 35 million a year on Asik, Harden and Lin. Thats not exactly a championship core.
  14. BallDon'tLie

It's like the GM down there turned to one of his assistants and said, "Is there a way that we can become the more like the Orlando Magic"?
    The Panda likes this.
  15. Walter

That core reminds me of Stuckey-Gordon-BoT core.
    The Panda likes this.
  16. The Panda

Credit where credit is due. Harden/Lin/Asik are three very good players (except for Lin, he should be less effective now that they can scout him). But there are a few issues. Harden spent a lot of his time against non-starter units (frankensteins) and I am eager to see what he can do as a full fledged 35mpg, go to guy. I have a feeling that his TS% will move inversely with his usage rate, and that all the reasons that he was supposedly worth the money (efficient, whirlwind off the bench, beard, can run offense) will suddenly start to look unrealistic. Asik is a brilliant defender, arguably one of the best in the league, but only for 20mpg. It will be interesting to see him trying to play for 30+mpg, especially as he brings very little offense to a team sorely in need of it.

I think we will see some mid season moves from Houston
  17. BallDon'tLie

I think that each and every one of us should join some Rockets forums and post non-stop about how Charilie Villanueva is awesome and he just needs to get on the right team.
    Nemo, The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Walter

19. The Panda

They will be fine if he keeps putting up 40/10 every game.

I obviously don't think that will happen. Not every team in the league plays only 1 defender at a time.
    Walter, BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Man, what a fantastic signing. Great bargain in getting a guy on the rise without a starting pedigree to pump up his price.

Durant and Westbrook were really stealing shot attempts from Harden in OKC. He seemed to mesh well with Lin.