1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Hammond spills plans for the roster

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 6, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'm not sure Newell is still that active in the camp. The guy he has running it now has ruffled some feathers, IIRC.

2. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Future roster

Everyone seemed to latch onto the Dupree thing. I actually found that not to be a surprise, and was more interested in the comment regarding trading a veteran player for a youngster at some point (I understood that to mean not this year).

I have to believe that would be either Ben or 'Sheed at some point down the road.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Not really suprised by that comment. With what our team salary is going to look like once Ben and Tay are resigned we have no choice but to move somebody if we want to stay competitive for years to come.

I think there is a unspoken agreement that Sheed will be dealt to Philly or New York to finish his career in 2007. This is just my reading of things and is only an opinion.:ohwell:

4. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

I believe you have an interesting point. Sheed could be traded only if Darko pan out to be a scoring threat and a defensive monster. Aparently, Darko is improving on D and he isn't going to be force to play with his back to the basket. OTOH, I believe Sheed is going to have a career year and is going to be hard to get rid of him. I think is easier on us to trade Rip than any of the other starters.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you that Rip would be the easiest to do without, but he's still relatively young. That would still leave us with several aging vets that are older than, and make more than Rip. The Wallace brothers and Dice would be the likeliest candidates in my opinion. Roscoe, Dice and Ben in that order.

6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If most things are equal between two players, most (like Flip) coaches will choose to play potential and youth over players that have plateued. Upside wins. So it makes sense that Delfino has beaten out Dupree, and to be honest, Dupree needs to start shopping for a new team. He'll never be good enough to start, and with Delfino, and now the rooks coming up, he's last in line.

As for Arroyo, he needs to show he can out play Hunter, or at least play as well, once he does that, the 9 man playoff rotation should be starters + Dice, Darko, Delfino, and Arroyo. 3 D's and an A, sounds like my senior year.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

trading rip doesn't make sense. he's younger and under contract and still getting better. i'm tired of people saying rip is the one piston in the starting 5 we can do without. rip is much better than people think he's going to have a great year under flip. he moves so well without the ball flips system of movement will be great for him. he's also becoming a good defender. sheed and ben are the most likely to go. mcdyess has a no trade.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not saying I would want to get rid of Rip, but if someone held a gun to my head tomorrow and said you have to get rid of one starter right now, I'd probably pick Rip.

Without a weapon aimed at my head, I'm very happy with our starting 5 and wouldn't make a change.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. well unless we want to get a big salary cap. we will have to do something with our starting 5. somebody has to go soon. i'd prefer putting that money into a player that is going to play at a high level the whole duration of his contract. ben is worth big money right now but for how long. tay's contract is a good one because he'll play at a high level over the whole contract length. rip is under contract for a bargain so trading him makes little sense to me.

10. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I second that....

I mean the gun-to-my-head thing........I'd only trade anybody on the 5 right now with a gun to my head (probably Pat Riley's bodyguard).

Anyway, I really don't know how we are going to manage our salary cap. I don't have the faintest idea. But in playing NBA Live 2005 (coz I haven't installed the 06 yet), Rip was the guy I traded but i'm through 2010 still without an adequate replacement for him.

I really don't know how I'd do it, but good thing Joe is up there and I trust him. Hard decisions are gonna be made. It could be Rip, Ben, Sheed, I really don't know.

so far Joe hasn't let me down.

And he probably won't.

:nod:

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm tellin' ya guys we're gonna trade Sheed & Rip for KG.
    Prince will slide to SG
    Next year Darko, Ben & KG front line = new Dynasty
    Amir or Jmax develop into a decent backup SF
    OK, I'm awake now :dizzy:

12. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Trade Who?

Ben, Rasheed and McDyess are all 31 years old this year. They are all going to turn 35 the same year too. They can't all be here then and you can probably only replace one quality big man per year. I like all three of these guys a lot but after this year the clock will be ticking and you can't stop time. My prediction is Ben goes first, he is most dependent on quickness and jumping ability. These go first.:(

13. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Yup

I'll love all these Pistons and what they've done, what they do, and what they will do for the franchise but someone significant will go in the next few years and I just don't see us keeping all these guys while keeping our salary cap where it is.

For all we know, Ben won't be resigned. And I don't see him retiring yet. So he could go. Sheed is great trade stuff for another younger up and coming player. Dice could go as well. We could just let them walk after their contracts are up or maybe they'd retire after.

I trust Joe and what he does. :nod:

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Remember when the Bad Boys broke up?... If I recall some of it correctly, we lost Mahorn to expansion, then I think Vinnie was traded and maybe Buddah retired or something, then we dumped Rodman for Sean Elliot or someone, and Salley signed with N.Y. or something, then Zeke & Laimbeer and Daly all left the same year, and that left Joe. Was that close to how it went?

It seemed like it happened so fast. Losing Mahorn hurt...people were ticked that they didn't put Edwards out there but the Pistons figured nobody would snatch Mahorn due to his bad back and would take one of the rookies(was it Lance Blanks or Micheal Williams and Fennis Dembo...I can't recall) . (they could only protect like 9 guys).

Vinnie...well they traded him and got nothing in return and Rodman they just wanted to get rid of for various reasons. Salley I think wanted the money and the fast life. Zeke and Laimbeer...wasn't that the year Zeke smacked his boy Bill in practice or something. I think that was about it for Laimbeer.

That left Joe to deal with the remnants. I wonder who will be the last one out of this bunch... or will there be a smooth transition? I don't even wanna think about it.

15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

With that lineup, CB would average 20 assists a game. KG at the 3, Darko at the 4, Ben playing center, and CB and Tay running the show. Dreaming's cool.

16. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

remember we were an old team when we won the second title

that second year, as much as i love my pistons we had less talent then chicago, they were just not battle tested yet. We were also an old team if you look at our base lineup. This team is so young really if you look at it, and if were smart Joe will never really have to worry about the salary cap if he is smart, and Mr. Davis doesn't mind the money... a trade here or there and draft picks and i say who cares how much money were spending.... we need one more Center type player for the next 8 years "IF" everything works out, our guards and small forwards could be fairly set "IF" every works out... Big IF's but i like our future outlook compared to just about any other young club.... and were already an Elite team