1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

"Hack-a-Ben"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 28, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, what is Flip`s problem when Riley goes to the "Hack-a-Ben" strategy?

Why does he leave Ben in the game? Is he afraid to take him out because of defensive startegy?

We are looking for points, and Ben isn`t giving them to us by missing FT.
    When this strategy is being used Shaq is not in the game anyway, isn`t he Ben`s primary defensive responsibilty?

Is Flip scared of Ben`s response if he yanks him?

I believe Ben wouldn`t mind coming out of the game in that situation. Am I wrong here?

Somebody help me out here..........

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe Ben would start crying and complaining about not getting enough touches on the free- throw line and refuse to ever enter a game again.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

What kills me is the Pistons getting mad at Flip for using the strategy late in Game 3 ... then giving up the rebound so Shaq could get more attempts (which he made).

To answer Rasheed's "Why?": Because it so obviously worked against your inept butts all game, and because you weren't defending worth a damn anyway.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The only purpose these "Hack a ????" plays serve is to slow down the game, and make it a halfcourt, time eating slogfest.

Which in and of itself can be a tactical advantage.

Whatever works. We complain because we have the worst FT shooter in NBA playoff history (both actually, Dale Davis holds the low record from 1994).

It's not even that Ben misses anymore, it's that it destroys the morale of the Pistons everytime he gets to the line.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't care about the Hack a Ben. I hated it how we had to pull off the Hack a Shaq. That made me more angry than the Hack a Ben because we know we all get angry when teams do that to Ben. Some reporter asked Shaq if he felt a little bad for Ben and he plainly said No because the exact same thing always happens to him. I'm starting to lose it right about now. Why do always do this to ourselves? Lets hope we have a good enough lead so that the Hack a Ben won't be as effective in Game 4.

6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Not to mention what it does to us fans. It pisses me off more to see in an interview how easily Ben accepts this growing problem as something he can fix by excelling in other areas. Fix the root cause !!!

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

ben is an unrestricted free agent

flip has no pull with him. if flip doesn't do what ben likes ben won't resign. flip should have pulled ben a long time ago. when mcdyess was lighting it up at the end of the regular season flip should have slowly started reducing bens' minutes. riley isn't worried about shaq's ego when he sits him down. flip shouldn't worry about ben's

8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I don't think Ben really is o.k. with it--I think he's embarrassed, and he doesn't know what to do about it. What is he supposed to say, "I have a huge mental block, and I'm just killing my team from the line?" With everything else that's going wrong, if Ben would move up from historically bad to just somewhat shaky, we're looking at a really different picture this postseason. I love Big Ben, and what he brings to the team, and I just hate to see this happening deep into the playoffs. :mad:

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, the Pistons haven't buried anyone in 8 games, which makes him the obvious weak link to exploit.

It should never come down to Ben Wallace free throws. Hell, Dice is only shooting around 50%. Shaq #s. If it wasn't Ben in the starting lineup, it could just as easily be Dice getting sent to the line. The coaches have a lot of statistical info available to them.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Uhhh...ummm....

Punt :confused:

11. max

max All-Star

Not only hack a ben we also have to deal with the Heat not letting Ben get off any dunks like he had in game 2. In Game 2 I thought running those plays for Ben really helped open things up. As usual the opposing coach adjusts to take not only Ben out of the offense but Prince as well while Flip is still using yesterdays game plan.

Not to critisize Ben too much, given the way he was complaining about wanting more touches he has to hit at least 50% of his FT's.