Greg Monroe, the new Rodney Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Feb 5, 2013.

1. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Rodney Stuckey did score 25 points per game in college. If he were to go back to college, he would STILL be scoring 25 points per game, and he's 26 years old. That's his problem.

Greg Monroe is 22.
    roscoe36, BallDon'tLie and Nemo like this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe is shooting .282 outside the paint this year (38% of his attempts) compared to .538 from Drummond (28% of his attempts).

His shot form looks good enough to me and the arc looks normal. Not sure what his problem has been. When they go in they look great, which again happens about 28% of the time. I'd encourage him to keep shooting them though and I would not encourage Drummond to ever shoot them.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Greg Monroe CANNOT knock down 20-footers. If he could, he would be playing in the All-Star game. If he adds a jump shot to his game, he will be good in this league for a very long time.
  4. J-Train

We have to be looking two different players. I watched Greg Monroe knock down 15-20 footers consistently in college. I watched Greg Monroe knock down that shot on a regular basis in his first and second year. I have watched him struggle with that shot November, December, and part of January of this year. For the last 10-12 games or so, he's looked good from there.

Like the rest of us, I've seen him pass up that shot far too often. Why that is, I can't tell you. That shot is part of his arsenal. He needs to shoot it more.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He is shooting 28% outside of the paint for the entire season.
    copper likes this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...and it's not like he's not getting open looks.
    When GM get's the pill out on the perimetor, his defender usually back-pedals down the lane to put his heels 2 inches above that little restricted area circle in front of the rim. This is all in preparation for the impending drive and boisterous "And-1" request.
    copper and linwood like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've always though that alley oops disguised as shot attempts would be really effective. The players would just all have to accept that it would embarrassing for them on occasion as it would look like airballs and the statisticians wouldn't get their stats right overall.

However, after it is cemented, you could pass off airballs as bad passes etc.

A Greg Monroe jump shot alley oop to Drummond would be very tough to guard.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wouldn't properly boxing out your man as a defender prevent your opponent from getting an alley-oop about as well as preventing him from getting an offensive rebound?
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm imagining something like this.

10. J-Train

I would be interested in seeing what he's shooting outside of the paint over the last 30 days. I agree that his shooting from 15+ has been abysmal this season. It's undeniable. What I'm saying is that it's uncharacteristic. I have no idea why he's reluctant to take that shot.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't seem to find a site that will let me get the split with hot zones for a subset of the season. However, some of this data could be interesting:

On the season, for all shots deemed "jump shots" for Monroe, here is his breakout-

3 to 10 feet: 16-79 (.203)
    10 to 16 feet: 7-27 (.259)
    16 to 3-point range: 32-94 (.340)

total: .275

The further away from the hoop he gets, the higher his percentage! Maybe because there aren't shot blockers and he's left open.

Surprising stat: Maxiell is 40-121 (.331) from the 16 to 3-point range. This is where JM takes most of his jump shot attempts from.

So, Monroe's close range shooting really destroys his average, but his mid range shooting and longer is actually slightly better than Maxiell's this season.

After looking at all this, I'm more of the opinion that having Monroe take open jump shots from that FT line extended and beyond is a good option for the team to keep the defense honest and to help him work on the shot... just like it's a good option to have Maxiell take these shots on occasion. It shouldn't be the first option, but when you get deeper into the possession, it becomes the best option for the team at times.

If Monroe's percentage has gone up recently (which I would guess it has), then it makes his attempts even more tolerable.
  12. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Monroe's biggest improvement this season has been his ball-handling. He can drive now. If he can become a triple-threat from 15 feet out...we're in serious business