Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tashawn, I went to many Gtown games and believe me, he did a good share of dunking, trust me.

2. Brap

Brap Starter

I really like the comment to Joe by John Thompson, III, his coach, who adamantly pointed out that Monroe is categorically NOT soft.

The more I think about it, the happier I am that we drafted him. I think I'd have been geeked by very very wary about drafting Cousins. I'd be excited by the potential of Favors, without knowing whether or not that super young player would ever develop. Monroe sounds better and better to me, the more I learn about him.

A guy the offense can and will run through, totally changes the dynamics of having a scoring point like Stuckey, Bynum or White. It opens up the floor big time for perimeter shooters like Gordon, Daye and CV, and for guys cutting to the basket. Remember how great things looked for awhile when we got Chris Webber? Chris's legs were shot, but even so, our offense became very potent at times.

I can totally get why Dumars ranked Favors, Cousins and Monroe in his top tier of big men. And I'm thinking now that if all three had been available, it would have been legimate to pick any one of them.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I remember early last season it seemed like every game that Ben would hit Rodney or Jonas cutting to the rim for an easy basket at least once a game. I get giddy thinking about us getting a lot more baskets like that, if our guys are willing to cut hard to the rim.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks so much for posting this analysis. It is really appreciated. I don't have time to review games, so I am happy you are doing it for us.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

A great passer changes everything, especially when that guy is also a serious threat to score. A great post/elbow passer puts a ton of pressure on a defense.

Last season, because Gordon and CV were injured and Daye was a rookie in and out of the rotation, the Pistons didn't have 3 point shooters to space the floor. Tay was also out of the lineup for most of the beginning of the season as was Rip. Stuckey didn't have guys with him who could space the floor, so the lane was congested. There was usually nobody to pass to.

Even without Monroe, it's highly likely that this season will be different. All the guys should be healthy, and Stuckey will have a ton of options to pass to. With Monroe, a lot of the offense will eventually run through him. It'll take a large part of the season to reinvent the offense and for that to be a well-oiled machine. But think of this: is there any doubt in your mind that put in the right situations that Daye, Gordon and CV won't knock down a high % of their 3 pt shots? Any doubt that Rip and Tay are talented scorers? Any doubt that Stuckey and Bynum are elite penetrators? Any doubt that JJ can play, and will likely improve every aspect of his already very fine complimentary offensive game? Any doubt that Summers is talented and might force his way into the rotation?

All I'm saying is there's a lot to build on. Hell if White works out, it could get even more interesting to put the pieces together. And we still have trades and FA.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I'm starting to get excited as well. I trust JJ more with the 3-ball then CV to be honest. I'd rather have CV down low making something happen.

But, my hopes are not up. We had a horribly unbalanced roster last year and even if there were no injuries we would've had to play at 100% night in night out just to make the playoffs. With the addition of Monroe, we may have fixed the situation perhaps 15-20%. We're still quite unbalanced right now. Assuming Kwame doesn't come back, all we did is replace Kwame with a kid that's slighly better at this point in his career. On paper, we're better off than last year but not by much. I think as is, we may see 30 wins next year.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dude has grey eyes.
    And he could be a turnover machine if everyones not on the same page.
    Paint Garbage Time Intern.

8. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Big East Championship Game, vs West Virginia, March 13 @ MSG

I was curious to see how Monroe would perform in a championship game, and after the first 5 minutes I taught he would have a monster game, that was not the case. It must be said that this was the 4th game in 4 days for G-Town, only the 3rd for WVU. GM started very well, looked fired up for the game, running the floor and scoring after a G-Town steal, dishing out 2 great assists, one from the top of the key between 2 defenders and one outstanding long bullet pass very similar with the one AI gave to Rip in a game against the Suns. I was hoping to find it on youtube, it was that great.

But after this, he went 17 min without scoring. WVU's defense and Smith's D was great on Monroe. Guys on commentary said it was the best D on Monroe they had ever seen. He tried to help by passing, but guys on the perimeter were cold and as I mention before, G-Town's other big man is a scrub. WVU's mentality was to stop Monroe and live with others trying to beat them and it paid off. They really exposed the poor rebounding team that is Georgetown, ending up out rebounding them 36 to 19. Ouch.

It was a great game though, it came down to a winning shot by West Virginia's star player, Butler. This guy could be a steal at #42 for Miami.

Would have liked to see Monroe dominate, but from what I've read, even Cousins struggled against this team. I'd give him a pass, since it was the 4th game in 4 days.

GM stats: 11 pts on 3 of 7, 6 boards, 3 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, 1 TO.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

11. roscoe36

A man's as miserable as he thinks he is.

I kiss my fear on the mouth.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Since when did Jammertime scare you? :MusicBigGrin:

13. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

you dont have to be an athletic freak to play PF...hmm a guy named Tim Duncan isnt very athletic and I think he has had a solid career :gun1:

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Duncan is over-rated. If you take away his 4 Championships, 12 All-Star games, 6 MVP awards, 13 All-Defensive team, and 13 All-NBA teams, what has he ever accomplished?

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude will be a free agent next year, maybe we go after our old buddy Capp Spayce and get into the Tim Duncan sweepstakes next summer?

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We have to move Rip before we can sign another combo guard.

17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I managed to get hold of a few Georgetown games from last season, so it's good to be able to see some of his game and figure out where he may help us.

One thing that is for sure is he will give us a post presence. It's not uncommon for Monroe to post 3, 4 even 5 different times in one Hoyas possession. And a lot of those times he won't get the ball from his guards. Yet he doesn't get down or upset that he doesn't get the ball, he just keeps going back down there. He is very good at establishing position.

He is going to help our floor spacing and maybe draw some double teams depending on his success inside.

He isn't a power post player by any means, but he has enough quickness to burn the bigger C's in the league (he has a nice spin move). He also operates a lot from the elbow and foul line. He will be able to draw his man out there and either burn him off the dribble (his handles are decent) or make the pass to a cutter.

The more I see of him the more I'm appreciating his game. From what I've seen Georgetown don't run any pick and roll's for him at all which is quite surprising. I think Coach Q has already mentioned he will be looking to get him involved in that straight away which will be very intriguing. He also isn't afraid to take a 17-18 foot jumper and has a nice release, but will need to make it more consistent.

On the downside, he doesn't play above the rim as we've all read. He will get his shot blocked from time to time. He can sometimes get himself too far under the basket and either get trapped or force a tough shot.

His defense is not spectacular. He can get a little lost at times when in a zone or hybrid zone, or allow guards or his direct opponent get by him a little too easily. But with the NBA being primarily a man-to-man game, this shouldn't be so much of a problem. Power big men will give him a problem and will need to work on not allowing his man to catch the ball deep. He can block the odd shot or two as a weak side defender, but it doesn't happen all that often.

With rebounding he does average some good numbers, but I'm still seeing that he needs to work on finding a man to box out when the shot goes up. I think in the College game he relies a little on being bigger than most other guys, so not boxing out can be overcome with his height. Against NBA big men though, he will definitely to need to show more discipline in boxing out.

18. roscoe36

webz, would you say he will be our best or 2nd best or 3rd best big at the end of camp?

19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As an overall player it's hard to say. His game is really very different to the other bigs on our roster so it's hard to compare. If our coaching staff work out how to use his skill set and put him in a position to succeed he will be very useful in his rookie year. He is not just a great passing big man and have good vision, he is a team player. That can be very contagious.

The danger will be whether our guards will get him the ball. Stuckey has his blinkers on half the time and we all saw Rip go into ball-hog mode last season.
    If he plays with the second unit with guys like CV and Gordon, I'd be concerned whether he'd touch the ball enough.

With the skills and size he has, he isn't really competing with other guys on the roster. If he shows he can play he will get minutes. He really can become the focal point of the offense as in having it run through him.

20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

You are great, Webz.