Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Guys, we really don't want to expend our salary cap and our available assets on a center who doesn't play much D - he just doesn't have the mobility and hops to be a good defender. I love Jefferson, no doubt he's a terrific player. But we need different types of players to compliment what Monroe brings - and no doubt in my mind about it, but Monroe will be a center for us.

We need to surround him with length, with guys who are athletic and cut into the lanes. With great outside shooters. With guys who have no-fly zones in the paint. Jefferson is just not what we need.

This is the time for patience. We aren't going to totally build our team in one offseason. We've got to figure out our team, figure out who is going to play what role, and figure out if we've got some guys we've got are stars in this league or not. Is Stuckey? Daye? Monroe? Gordon? JJ? Did we hit the jackpot with White? Let some of this sort out. Then figure out how to get better, who to trade, who to go after.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The biggest benefactor of drafting Monroe will be Stuckey. Here is a guy who can make up for Stuckey's lack of playmaking, and possibly draw a big man out of the paint to better space the floor for those thunderball drives.

I'm telling you guys, I am getting really excited to see Monroe play.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Roscoe, I agree, but this team needs more than just Monroe to compete. I am excited to see what other moves Joe may be able to make.
  4. roscoe36

I don't think Joe is going to impress anyone with any big moves. He seems to be biding his time until new management comes, and I am not going to set myself up for disappointment. If there is any GM who is going to sit on his hands and do as little as possible above and beyond right now, it is Joe.

So yeah, I do want to see what happens in FA, and whether Joe walks the walk of spending money, but right now, I am assuming everyone will be back, and Joe will slow play it.

The way I see it, Tay was our best player last season once he came back from injury and got healthy. I thought he was freakin brilliant, and sadly because of the horrible contract for Hamilton, our best trade asset is Tay

I'd really like to see if Tay has a great season in him rather than trade him away for what will be a fraction of what Pistons fans have convinced themselves he is worth to another team.

If people want to see a bad team, watch Austin Daye be the 82 game starter with maybe Jerebko backing him up on the perimeter (3 position, not the 4). Daye might be good in a few years, and he has a decent set shot, but he was brutally green last year, and I don't think he is anywhere near ready for 30 minutes a night unless someone puts him on P90X post haste.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You wouldn't be had you already seen him play. GM did not display Blake Griffin like prowess on the NCAA level to make me excited before he hits the hardwood.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not sure I agree with Daye being a guy who cuts hard to the basket, but I agree with your point nevertheless.
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Detroit was never a playoff team. In fact, besides the opening night, the Pistons never got above .500 (the closest they got was 11-12). I think you're just a bit delusional if you think they would have made a "deep playoff run". At best, they get swept in the first round.

Monroe was a good start, but this roster is still a long ways off from competing.
  8. roscoe36

Give Monroe a chance to play before deep sixing him on a completely irrelevant college career (IMO).
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Doubtful that we could be so lucky at to have 2 stick figure iron men in a row. Daye would likely break unless he played super soft.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Or Ben Gordon for that matter. These guys all have the abililty to cut though. If Greg Monroe can really create well for others down on the block then I think the players will, naturally, cut more.

Whats the point of cutting if no one will get you the ball? (A problem this team had last year.)
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But JJ showed he's ready, and Daye/Summers are decent young backups.
    I am giving him a chance, but folks are starting to prematurely anoint him, and all I'm saying is that from what I've seen while actually watching him is that I don't think he's "that" type of player. I don't really see him as a 1st team all-rookie player, and I darn sure wouldn't be playing wait&see as a GenMgr because I just drafted GM thus we should pass on trading for Al Jefferson or anybody else. GM is going to be a good solid pro, how good remains to be seen, but I'm not anticipating anything spectacular in the short term.
  12. roscoe36

We're on the same page then. I don't know if he will be good, but I think he may, and I am excited to find out. I watched at least 80 of those games last year. That was tough.

There are fans who think he will be a messiah though. And there will probably be some fans who think he will be a bust. We won't know anything till the ball goes up, but I would be lying if I said I am not dying to see him in the Vegas League.

I always believed we could get value @ #7. That late, the picks aren't sexy, but what if he is a rookie all-star and Cousins is not? That would be pretty cool.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Didn't want to make a new thread that would only get 3 responses so I'll put it here...but should Joe go after Ryan Gomes? The guy is gonna get waived by the Blazers and I remember him being solid for the T-Wolves. For some reason I remember him getting a triple double, but anyways should we snag him if he's waived?

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Blazers To Waive Ryan Gomes
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure how good he will be until he plays...and at # 7 he needs to play so that we can find out. As someone said, no Darko-wing on the bench trying to win with an old Ben or way-past-his-peak Kwame if he is still around.

This is still a rebuilding year and if Joe does not pull the trigger on Al Jeff or any other middle tier FA this summer to handle the 5, you may as well throw GM in the fire and proved that he was worth winning two out of the last three games last season that forced us into the 7th spot. :sssh:

I am still giving him benefit of the doubt to be someone who can be consistent in the middle by his second season and at least give us some Andrew Bynum numbers w/o the blocks, but with the assists. This won't happen though unless he gets the same PT that JJ got in his rookie season.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He would be OK if we new for certain we were moving Tay for a pure PG.

Then again, most will say that he his the perfect backup for Tay that so many have been pining for since 2004...
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

NO! We have enough forwards on this team, unless we're talking about adding Bosh, Lee or Jefferson....we're good at forward.

Ironically SF is now our deepest position. While we bemoaned the logjam at SG, we're now 4 deep at SF, we're so deep we had to move one to PF, another to SG and another to street clothes behind the bench. If only we had this problem 5-6 years ago......
  17. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Well, saw another game, Duke at G-Town, January 30

This is just after the loss to Syracuse and was a much better performance. GM's stats: 21 pts on 7 for 11, 5 reb, 5 ast, 1 blk and 2 stl. As oposed to the other game, this time he touched the ball on just about every possession and their offense was much better.
    Duke had no answer, every time they traped he kicked the ball for a 3 pointer. He showed tremendos ability to face the basket, take guys of the dribble and make some fancy speen moves to get to basket and finish. He was 7 for 10 from the line, made the first 7, missed his last 3 when the game was already over.
    The thing that impressed me the most was him putting his head down and making a play just when Duke was on a 11-0 run.
    Very active on defense, Duke just could not score inside, I also liked him leading the break after a steal and dunking, he has such great handle for a big man.
    I really liked what i've seen in this game, he has all the tools to be a solid solid starter in the league. Strength, jump shot, ability to finish with his right hand can all be worked on.
    I really hope he will be involved in the Pistons offense as much as he did in this game.
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sorry Kgreg, I have to tell you that Monroe is gonna be good. Hubby and I would meet downtown D.C. for lunch and go over to see Gtown scrimmage many, many times. Hubby is a grad of Gtown, therefore, we always had tics to the game. I can tell you that Monroe will be all-rookie first team and won't be surprised if he ends up in a close race for ROY.

Being in Big East Country one of the toughest divisions in College B-Ball will give him a huge advantage and very rarely does G'Town Big men fail to make the grade. The Precedent has already been set. As a reminder of just how good Monroe will be, if you can, look at Gtown's game against Duke and NC last year and also the game with MD in 2009. SPECTACULAR.
  19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Since I predicted and the Pistons would draft Monroe, I will also go on record by saying that I really don't see a Jefferson sighting in the near future.

I can see someone like Gortat, Haywood or some young big man with potential. I can see Okafer coming to detroit in a trade.

For all you cats who think that Monroe is soft, you need to watch the games he has played in a lot more carefully. I can also tell by some of the posts I've read, that you are putting too much stock in what analyst' are saying about GM rather than on first hand knowledge.

Don't let the "Smooth Taste Fool You". He is the real deal.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the passing ability. Just concerned that he rarely dunked in college, where the trees were a lot shorter than they will be in the big league.