1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

You guys are prolly right. Man this has been a rollercoaster ride this season.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

While I clowned Armygirl about GM not being the proto-type GTown Big (Deke, Zo, Ewing) he is a solid player. One thing about GTown, I've never known any Hoya drafted in the lottery to bust, and I don't see it happening here. The Gtown program is very restictive and players leave GTown and perform a whole lot better on the offensive end because they get to show their game(the same can be said about Ben Howland's UCLA program). Folks compare him to Brad Miller, I think that's way off base, I see more Lemarcus Aldridge in him than Miller. As far as his lack of explosiveness, most guys his size aren't very explosive and the ones who are, aren't very skilled. This is a good pick that I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with.

I'm going to be optimistic and say that in 3 years the frontline of:
    Daye / Monroe / Jonas
    is going to be a frontline that the rest of the league is talking about. We might have 5 guys on the court who can rebound and push the ball up, because while folks have mentioned his passing what they've failed to metion is his uncanning ability to put the ball on the floor.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

G-Roe does have some handles for a big-fella!
    I was watching a highlight vid of him running a break and he was crossing fools up at full speed.

Lamar Odom with som b-ball IQ perhaps?

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lamar's got a good Bball IQ, it's Mr.Kardashians overall IQ that is questionable. Lamar has always been a Point Forward in a PF's body, G-Roe (I like that BTW) just looks like a PF/C who can put the ball on the floor. If he ends up as good or as productive as Lamar Odom, that won't be a bad thing, Odoms career numbers: 14.6ppg / 8.9rpg / 4.1 apg.....not bad at all, people forget how talented Odom used to be before he got to LA and began to scarifice his game for the team.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe is a 4 correct, it would be a mistake to think he can play the 5 in the L?

Do we agree this team will be worse this year if Ben doesn't come back?

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Agreed. But I think Monroe can play some 5 against certain competition.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'll call him G-MONey if/when he earns that nick.

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'll call him MGREG if/when he earns that nick.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Agree but disagree. Odom can be an annoying dumbass a lot of times. Dudes got loads of talent and doesn't always give it his all (Check Game 4 when Glen Davis didn't only overpower him but beat him to every spot on the floor. The Dude is 300+ pounds and got to spots on the floor faster than Lamar!)

11. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I'm happy with this pick. If he can average numbers similar to what he did in college, then I'll be even happier, anything else is a bonus.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

It's not just his numbers that will be important. Monroe should, in time, help the entire team offense. Other guys should get better looks because of his passing. If he can develop into a good low post scorer, someone who commands a double team, then so much the better for our perimeter scorers, especially our 3 pt shooters.

My questions about the Pistons aren't about their offense. Can we ultimately become a great defensive team? I think we have another piece to add, and seasoning to endure, before we can achieve that.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I want to see what kind of defensive rebounder he can be.

If they can work an offense out of him passing from high post area then I think it could help Stuckey if he is catching the ball closer to the hoop. (Hopefully he won't get blocked.)

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

From films and most objective summations about his talent, have him as a solid 4. I don't have any problem with this judgment. He will have to share some time with JJ who has a different motor. With the latter, I have commented that he needs to slide over to the 4 position in order to gain playing time and their might be some conflict on who is about to get what.

He could, of course, gain 10-15 pounds and have a cross-over to the 5 position. Being a lefty is good and this always helps close to the rim. He is no BenW with the right hops and athleticism. It's all about minutes for a rookie.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I will be happy with 16 pts, 10 brds and 4 dimes and 2 blocks....

And Joe...you got to start him right away and let him learn on the job just as JJ did last season. None of the Darko/Amir project/riding the pine BS

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. I don't know that he needs to start right away but he definitely should be getting solid minutes. The main thing is, if he plays with half the desire and determination of Jonas when he's on the floor, then he will be on the floor A LOT.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Screw that I want to see Jonas and Monroe starting next year ASAP. Villanueva has been average and Big Ben's the man but its time for him to step aside and accept the leadership role even more.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jonas (and Will Bynum for that matter) made it impossible to keep them off the floor, they took full advantage of their opps. If Monroe starts, is Jonas coming off the pine? If Jonas is the backup PF, is CV completely out of the rotation? What if we went into training camp any NOBODY had a secure spot? What if Joe and Q told Will and Stuckey, "The starting PG spot is up for grabs." What if they called Tay, Daye, JJ and Summers in and said the same, and the same for the SG's and PF's....(we don't really have a center) What if training camp and pre-season came with no predetermined depth chart, and everyone had to fight and earn their spot on the depth chart.....What IF?!?!?!?!

19. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

I'll answer that with a quote:

:)

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Oh, since I don't follow college ball I only know what I have read about this guy and I thought he was drafted to play C and PF but he will only play PF? I even thougth he was more of a C than a PF. We'll atleast we don't have a logjam at the 5...