Greg Monroe selected #7 by the Detroit Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

that says all.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons mistake to me was spending the $$ on Gordon and Garbage when they were rebuilding, not winning some meaningless games at the end of the year.

I'm glad to see that Dumards wants to revamp the playbook, but I'm not sure that will stop the Pistons guards from dribbling.

I am looking forward to Rip leaving 1000 layups short off of passes from Monroe though.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I guess that dumars hands are tied. in short: owners can't afford tanking team and therefore orders to dumars are - to playoffs even at the price of the future.

playoff hopes sell and playoffs sell. And to sell the team - this team has to sell.

last season we saw ho quickly team was abandoned once it was clear that POs are not reality.

maybe 50% of tickets were practically giveaways, maybe less, maybe more but it shows the level of desperation.

4. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

5. max

max All-Star

Nice post. I was going to write something like that when I read about him. Passing was a definite issue last season.

As it stands right now I would say Monroe is our best PF on the depth chart - whatever that is saying. I am disappointing that there was not some kind of svengali type miracle trade using pick #7 to revamp the front court but how realistic was that line of thinking anyway.

Looking like we got a pretty good guy at pick #7. Still urkes me a bit how the other teams were rewarded for tanking in the end but what can you do. This still could be - quit possibly, the best player Dumars has selected in the draft to date.

6. Brap

Brap Starter

I'm optimistic by nature, but I'm starting to get geeked by Monroe. IF (big "if" but getting smaller by the day as I learn more about him - I'm pretty hopeful now, but we'll see) he is tough enough, having a guy with his point centerness will totally make it easier to have Stuckey and Bynum as our PG's. Also, we've got three other players on the roster with point forward capabiliities. Tay, of course - but he'll be gone by the trade deadline. Daye is going to be quite a bit better than Tay at running the offense - he's a natural to fill that slot on occassion. And JJ showed me a lot last season in terms of his potential to run the offense.

Monroe's addition will, in time, lead the Pistons to have a much more versatile and fluid offense.

As this team is building, I think Joe's job is to fine tune it over the next couple seasons. Monroe won't likely help us be a better defensive team this season. Rookie centers have to learn some lessons the hard way. So I expect that this will be a season of the team trying to come together. Making the playoffs isn't predictable. Trading some of our assets this year (Tay, maybe Maxiell or Summers), and next season (Rip, maybe CV as there contracts start looking shorter to other teams - those things are predictable. Adding a FA this year or next at the mid level, a guy who can patrol the lane, would be nice.

If we play our cards right, we could score a huge piece in the 2011 draft, and by 2012, we could really see the team gelling and the team being balanced out with more of a defensive presence. I truly think we'll have the assets over the next couple of seasons to become a really fine up and coming team.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not holding my breath that Stuckey has the inclination to give up the ball to the passer, instead choosing to drive into 4 men in the paint and miss the layup, then plead for a foul call which is never coming.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I saw more than one really good post by himat today. I think the boy dun growed up right before our very eyes. :crying::cheers:

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If Greg Monroe truly plays inside, he's gonna have a pretty sore back from being smashed into by his PG game after game. I predict a period of adjustment for the rookie big man while he gets used to Rodney Stuckey running the "mosh-pit" offense.

10. max

max All-Star

There are a lot of good posts in this thread from everyone.

11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Even though I was hoping for Cousins I'm really glad this is a Monroe thread and not a Aminu thread. I think this might work out well, atleast we got a young big with potential.

12. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

your right we have a stupid roster and joe D wasted he's salary CAP by getting CV and Ben GO..now were down to think thats monroe is the messiah..guess what ill wait up until some guys think of trading him..hhhaha JOe D get a @#N and K83628 urself..

13. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

how much did it cost the salary cap space by signing BenGO and CharlieTweet? now we are down to what? trading rips bad contract? any updates everyone?well then sit tight and see how we are bound for a bad season

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hilarious!!:pound:

It's a good pick guys. I may be the most jaded and aggressive cyber-world traders in this forum. I concoct dozens of stupid trade scenarios everyday this time of the year (what can I say, business in Mich is slow during the summer), the reality is this, NOBODY danced last night. The 3 blockbuster deals last night were:
    1. Heinrich and the 17th pick to the Wiz for Capp Spayce
    2. Cole Aldrich and Mo Pete to OKC
    3. Ryan Gomes and Luke Babbitt for Martell Webster
    Guys GM's weren't in a dealing mode last night, if I of all people can accept that, why can't some of the rest of you. In the end, we got a really promising 6'11" player who can be put into the rotation right away, it's possible that he may end up better than Lemarcus Aldridge, and he's pretty good.

15. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

^^ I agree. Everyone's being too negative. Look, we made out like bandits last night by selecting someone we probably would have chosen even if we had tanked last season to gain a higher pick. I know Cousins is a beast, but come on, Monroe is by far the safer bet. He's NBA ready intellectually and physically and he is maximizing his talent, where Cousins, although possibly more gifted, (to me) doesn't seem that hungry which may translate into laziness.

And don't forget Detroit IS a playoff team. We were playoff bound before the injuries. Heck, for a bit when the team was playing together and looking good, I thought we could go deep in the playoffs. BenGo is a flat out nightmare for defenses, CV has the talent if he wants to use it (Hmm, sounds like Cousins), Rip and Tay still got some in the tank, Stuck's solid and Ben Wallace is "Big" (to some extent) Ben again. Add in the three rookies that are all capable of performing and this team is not bad. All I'm saying is don't right the team off. EVERYONE in the league can play. It's just a matter of combining the right players together and leading them with a coach that can get them to buy into a good system. That's all. I mean, the 2004 Championship team was made up of "scrubs," so don't think we can't/wont do that again.

Monroe will only help a team loaded with guys that can score. Cousins probably wouldn't have helped as much. In fact, I can see him as the type of guy that calls for the ball, gets doubled and forces things. Plus he seems like he's stubborn. I could just see that scenario going south quickly. Then you guys would really have a reason to gripe. Be thankful we avoided that possibility. We got a kid with a great mentality, nice skills and good size. He meets this lotteries objectives to me. Now bring on the 2010/2011 season!

16. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

I really like his passing ability, he had 12 assists in a game last year. Although he isn't a great athlete he has a nose for the ball, and keeps it protected when he does have it. I would like to see him play above the rim a little more though.

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This really concerns me. It essentially confirms two major worries: that Joe D. is dictating plays, and that someone has to point out the obvious to Q.

18. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

^^^ EASY. Don't read too much into things. It could also show that the GM and coach are on the same page.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

an oveereaction for sure. Remember - GM selects from draft ( coach probably is buzy with summer league stuff right now) so Dumars probably explained why he took monroe and what he expects from both - Q and monroe.

a normal course, I assume.

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Give me a break! How on earth do you know that? Just because it didn't happen, doesn't mean that he didn't try.