Grade The Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The popular press was given that name for it. They actually wanted to name it the g@#$damn particle
    because verifying its existence is frustrating and costly. Simply put...........its many things to many people.
    but very important............:)
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

$20B+ to confirm the existence of something that they knew had to exist. It's cool that they have found evidence of it, but man, those are some seriously massive machines that they built. Probably the most complex physical creations in the history of mankind.

I am going to grade the super collider program B-.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I know a little bit about it - my friend is a high energy physicist. So he had a rant at me about it. But what on earth did it have to do with anything?
  4. Nemo

I'm unsure of the everyday applications of the study, and can offer no logical reason for their undertaking.
    Did your friend shed any light on the topic...........
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yes and No.

Some questions:
    In number 1, what was the average age of those starting 5 when the Pistons made their 6 year run?
    In number 2, who is this owner?
    In number 3, most championship winners are built from other teams. Of course, Wade, Dirk, Kobe, Pierce are original members and what were their draft positions?
    In number 4, what kind of plan did JD have for players on the coaching merry-go-round?

Youth is being push way out of proportion. There is now a huge imbalance about any concern for hundreds of potential players that are easily as good or better than the lottery picks. And look how unbalance that has become. After the second pick, empty noodles are puzzled right on down the line. In the first round, they will spend at least 10 million dollars per individual over the next several years to find out if they are a knuckle-head. Most organization will habitually keep right on doing it no matter what the results. Just another dumb knuckle-head in knuckle-head kingdom. All this and the parade of platitudes for the only sport invented entirely in the United States.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Just proving what they already knew. Like I said, he had a rant. I wasn't really paying that much attention.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You are in hurry while picking up your groceries and you walk really fast, almost on the brink of running, when heading towards the register. With gazillions of particles everywhere you know there is a reasonable chance you might collide with one of them heading the opposite way. Before the CERN experiment you didn't really have clue what would happen when this occurs and at which pace you start splitting particles. With this new knowledge you can use this information of what the impact and probability of such a collision would be and while picking up the milk you calculate a probability density function of possible (PDF) outcomes depending on pace, distance and your estimation of the number of particles. You decide what risk you are willing to take use the PDF to get the optimal pace just like Stuckey uses his PDF before driving towards the basket.
    coynejeremy and raxrets like this.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

"Be impactful". Use god particle.
  9. Nemo

I would assume that the particles know to get out of the way when Stuckey approaches.

This is what's known as the Rodney collider effect...........
  10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The Higgs-Boson particle is basically the particle responsible for giving all other particles their mass. The deeper we go into theoretical physics, the more symmetric and unified it all becomes. Proof of the existence of the Higgs-Boson is roughly as important to quantum physics as proof of evolution is to the life sciences.
  11. Nemo

But are those as important as cheese is to PIZZA................

http://pizzaloverchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Photo-Aug-29-7-44-30-PM-300x224.jpg
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Now they can purport 2M* farenheit.
  13. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Saw a report on it recently that put it a little in perspective. The previous advances in quantum physics has basically led the large technological advances we have now and this discovery (once understood) is likely to provide the next big advances.

The scientists sometimes refer to it as the "glue" which creates mass, and personally, I am hoping once they figure this all out they will develop a way to take mass apart and put it back together, thus creating teleportation and doing away with the need for air travel, airport wait times and 24hour flights from Europe to Australia!
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The philosophical implications of teleportation are absolutely fascinating to me. Let's do a little logical reasoning here:
    1) Assume that, with teleportation, your body is deconstructed at its quantum level by the sending teleportation machine, and, using different "building blocks" matter that exists unused some really long distance away, is reconstructed based on the insta-faxed blueprints sent to the receiving teleportation machine.
    2) The reconstructed you (made from scrap matter) is in every way identical to the deconstructed you (which doesn't exist anymore), other than it having different particles; i.e. the neurological and anatomical makeup of the reconstructed you is exactly the same as the neurological and anatomical makeup of the deconstructed you.
    3) The reconstructed you would have the same memories, and therefore would think it was you. But as soon as you step into the teleporter, the matter that was you ceased to be you. In other words, you died and were cloned a long ways away.
    4) Everyone else around you would easily mistake new you for old you. New you would assume that you were old you. But old you technically ceased to exist.

This scares me. Emotionally, I feel that if I teleport I die and am replaced. I don't like this, but I can't get around it.

5) We are always in a slow process of being deconstructed and reconstructed. Anti-smoking brochures have taught me that our lungs regenerate every 7 years. Our cells die and are replaced with new ones. The matter in our body is not the same matter that was in our body when we were born.
    6) Therefore, if I see "new me" as fundamentally different from "old me," then I have to see the "new me" that is regenerated in small parts every day as, in some small way, different from "old me."
    7) I consider myself the same human being as when I was younger. I feel a sense of continuity of myself, in that even though my memories amd physical structure are different, continuity tells me that I had a younger me that was responsible for constructing all of the memories and beliefs that I now possess.
    8) But if I am constantly being recreated (slowly), then that sense of continuity of self is little more than an illusion; I believe that I am that person based on shared memories between my younger self and current self.

One might say that our sense of identity is based on relative similarity. I may be 99.8% the same person as yesterday, which means I am "enough" of the same person to actually be the same person. But if I'm 99.8% the same person as yesterday, then I am only 99.6% the same person as the day before.... and so on. At what point am I not "enough" of the same person? My sense of continuity with my child self is likely still an illusion, though spread out. The teleportation exercise speeds up the "different enough" process, but the result is the same. Let us continue.

9) Because of my sense of self-continuity, I expect my future self to be the same person as my current self.
    10) However, my younger self actually had different memories, physical make-up, and thought processes than my current self.
    11) There are four possibilities for how continuity works from moment to moment:
    11a) You have the same molecules and the same physical/neurological structure. But basic life processes mean that your body is constantly regenerating, so this doesn't happen on its own.
    11b) You have the same molecules but different physical/neurological structure. This is, I think, our intuition of how continuity of self works, but molecules change, so this can't be the case.
    11c) You have the different molecules but the same physical/neurological structure. This unbelievably highly improbable in nature, but would be the case with a teleporter. Note, however, that this is how identical twins start out in utero, even if they diverge after a short period of time.
    12) You have different molecules and a different physical/neurological structure. This option, I'm pretty sure, is the only one that happens naturally.
    13) Thus, the new teleported me - which would be made of different molecules but have an identical physical/neurological makeup - would be a much closer approximation of who current me than the me that existed 10 years ago, which had BOTH different molecular structure AND physical/neurological makeup.
    14) Therefore, my sense of my future self being the same person as me is simply an illusion.

Conclusion: Thus, the only time I am truly me is right now, at this moment. I am constantly ceasing to be me and am constantly instead becoming someone else with identical memories and a (slightly) different physical makeup. I did not exist in the past, nor will I exist in the future. Anything I do is based on the memories and the cognitive imprinting of what all of my infinite past selves have done, and what I do now will similarly affect my infinite future selves. I am not me, I am WE.

We hope that you all enjoyed this, and that it wasn't too early in the morning for you. And no, I am in no way stoned or drunk.

Go Pistons.
  15. Nemo

But look at the positive implications................when disassembled, they send your particles through a cleanser and any illness that you have is removed.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have no problem with "ceasing to exist" every time I'm teleported.
    I feel like I die a slow death everytime I experience the stupidity of commercial air travel as it is.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He lives.

But you do get felt up or irradiated at the airport for free, and that is a pretty nice value added experience IMO.
    coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This post is in response to the old Laimbrane:

If you are going to be reconstructed on the other side of the teleportation device, then what is the point in destroying your current makeup? Just stay in existence and have a copy of you produced on the other side. It's essential just like producing a fully aged clone. If you could be assured that your new clone would painlessly evaporate in 1 day, you'd probably be OK with that... because you know that it wouldn't suffer and that none of its relatives would feel any sense of remorse (since it doesn't have any).

Realistically, being physically in a location isn't important enough to create a whole new life form. Just send them a text message.

And if we advanced to the point where we had the technology to instantly produce complex lifeforms on the spot, I think that we'd be pretty much doomed. I doubt that it would be business as usual and you would need face time on Europa to cement that final sale to hit your quarterly goal.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you read the last dozen or so posts, it's obvious that this is the "Grade the Draft" thread.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Joe should teleport any of the new guys.
    coynejeremy likes this.