1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Grade The Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jun 29, 2012.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with SJ, I thought perhaps were should have grabbed Doron Lamb after he fell to the second round but not a major gripe. I agree that AD should start straight away. Frank has shown he will give the rooks minutes if they put in the effort, so I'm optimistic.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nice! Who did Chad say the draft winner was?

3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

IMHO, there are about five or six guys out of this draft that have a legitimate chance to be superstars - Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Austin Rivers, Terrence Ross, Perry Jones, and Andre Drummond. The latter four also have a high bust potential, but the reality is that if you want to win championships in this league, it's really hard to do it with safe players. The 2004 Pistons did it because they had a perfect balance of starters and a great coach that was able to get the most out of them, but most other teams have that alpha dog that becomes the fulcrum of the opponents' game plan. In other words, if you're going to beat Lebron, you have to have someone in Lebron's league.

I don't know if Drummond is going to be that, but I know that the Pistons don't have a guy that is reasonably capable of being one; Monroe and Prince are really good role players, Knight is young and has a ways to go to learn the PG position, and Stuckey is a pure scorer (that plays defense well) that is never going to be the type of guy that takes over a game night after night. What the Pistons need is a superstar, and all of the sudden the other four guys create one of the best support units in the league.

It was a somewhat easy pick, but it is risky; Drummond was passed on by 8 other teams ahead of him. The beauty of it is that Drummond's skillset and position fits like a puzzle piece into a huge, empty void on the team. They needed a big, they needed athleticism, they needed a rim protector, and Drummond provides all of that in one package. He may not start right away, but he will play; it's not like Jerebko and Maxiell are standing there in his way providing a significant wall for him to climb. He needs to be getting at LEAST 20 minutes a night, whether starting or off the bench, and until he develops his offensive game he needs to hang his hat on his defense, Ben Wallace style.

This test might have been a gimme, but that doesn't mean that Dumars doesn't get an A on it. There is no better pick he could have made, and no way he could have gotten a better player out of his draft. He could have traded up, but didn't. He could have traded back to take Henson, but didn't. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, but when the chips are on the table you still have to make the right play. Dumars did. A.

coynejeremy likes this.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Exciting times to be a Pistons fan again. Not sure what the limit is for Drummond- I don't see him having a career like David Robinson or Dwight Howard, but somewhere in between Tyson Chandler and Jermaine O'neal certainly seems reasonable. As far as Middleton and English- they seem to be guys that fit a role the team needs. Middleton I think can have a Rip Hamilton like role in the offense coming off screens, and with his length should be an above average defender. English just seems like a guy who will be in the league forever like Lindsey Hunter- it would be nice if he could combine the skills of Hunter and Jon Barry. What a weapon that would be. Hopefully, Maggette gets healthy and can make in impact- with Stuckey, and Bynum, we might have the best slashing trio in the NBA...too bad none of them can pass. Anyways...Coach has a lot of weapons to work with plus a free agent- thinking Kaman, or Camby (houston wants him back) to shore up that frontline?

pass99, linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, Ford gave 7 teams (including the Pistons) an "A-" and 3 teams got an "A".

Team with an "A-":
    --------------------------
    Bobcats (MKG at #2)
    Bulls (Teague at #29)
    Cavs (Waiters at #4, Zeller at #17)
    Pistons (Drummond at #9)
    Warriors (Barnes at #7, Draymond Green at #35, some big stiff at #30)
    Spurs (Denmon at #59....their only pick....not sure how you get an A- out of that)
    Wizards (Beal at #3)

Teams with an "A":
    ----------------------------
    Hornets (Davis at #1, Rivers at #10)
    Thunder (Perry Jones at #28)
    Kings (Thomas Robinson at #5)

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All draft grading should be done 2 years after each draft.

It would be interesting to grade the graders by doing that. Everyone that gave the Pistons an A right after the 2003 draft should be noted with an asterisk on all future grades.

Chad Ford's post 2003 draft analysis
    Burns gave us an A-

BallDon'tLie and brofmfa like this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

In fairness to Chad Ford, he does preface his grades by saying that exact same thing, all draft grading should be done 2 years after the draft. He mentions his grades serve as a discussion point for now.

8. max

max All-Star

These are the same guys who do the mock drafts. If you pick like they predicted you too then you get a good grade. Draft a guy they thought would go higher and get an even better grade.

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

We got a high grade from Ford because we managed to bake our cake and eat it too.

Think about it - the Golden rule of Draft is to pick the best player available.
    At the 9th spot, Drummond has the most upside, the best physical tools available and a bucketload of talent.

And we also managed to draft for needs. I said this somewhere else, but I think that with the exception of Boston, I think the Pistons may have got the steal of the draft with Drummond + 2nd rounders.

10. Laimbrane

Perhaps... I really liked Golden State's draft, though, getting Barnes, Green, and Ezeli.

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree.
    The Warriors loaded up.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Mike Curry gets a B+ for his coaching then this draft should get an A+.

coynejeremy likes this.
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps, but with the current emphasis on such young players, the team that forces developmental patterns will win with the younger players. Gores should know this. He has a unique opportunity in re-organizing a framework for healthy change. The old Ford-ism approach is long dead. This organization needs to implement a new vision of how organizations understand growth needs and providing a stable base for many expectations of expanded potentials.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. The Panda

I don't know if you write like this as a joke, but its really hard to understand what you are trying to say.

15. BillLaimbeer

There are several ways to understand Pass99's posts. The easy way, of course, is to go to a web site called Babelfish and have the posts translated to English. Another way to understand the posts are to study the ways of Zenmaster Phil Jackson and try to become one with Pass99's posts. A little meditation and some deep breaths and it will all seem crystal clear.

basketbills likes this.
  16. Laimbrane

[​IMG]

I just assume that he's been very lonely in his tower of indecipherable speech.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Our culture has long since abandoned long term planning in the corporate world...........only to discover it as something new.
    I hope that you aren't asking too much from an MSU man................................

linwood likes this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pass99 is very consistent in her response approach. It takes time to appreciate the higgs boson response................:)

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Could be. Let's take another route. I'm going to need to pick someone as a helpful guide. Ah yes, that will be BillLaimbeer. Now the journey is short and very directional. Not very complicated (well my nose is growing somewhat on the last article), but you will need some fortitude in finishing the articles. They are contained in the latest edition of the The New Yorker magazine (July 2, 2012). There are two articles:
    1. The Modern Man (Calvin Tomkins)
    2. Silence, Exile, Punning (Louis Menand)
    Excellent reads. I like to think first by location of institutional frameworks and then following connected branches from psychology, sociology and culture. The last article is most telling for me and a big clue for all: you see, I look at the Pistons as my "Finnegans Wake."

Don't know that handsome actors face in the picture, but he looks like a buttoned-up version of Timothy Leary.

My eyes are tired. For over half a century, they have
    gazed into nullity where have found
    a lovely nothing.

James Joyce

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. The Panda

The 'God Particle'? Right.

Ok I'm going to have a go here. Please someone let me know if this is a fruitless exercise. As in, spell it out.

So pass, this is how I see your post
    1. Developing a youthful team
    2. Gores has a chance to change the direction of the organisation - presumably towards youth and meaningful rebuilding
    3. Draft rebuilding doesn't work
    4. Pistons need to hold true to their stated values and plan for the future effectively.

I feel as though you are agreeing with me in some ways, and disagreeing with others.

Stream of conciousness/idiosyncratic allusions? I get where this goes.

coynejeremy likes this.