Gordon and Villanueva to the Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Amen! I've liked this signing even more than the Ben Gordon one from the start. People be hatin' on CV......:shout:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow is that Rashard contract bad. And his defense is no better than CV's either (quite possibly worse). This makes me feel a lot better about our new guy. Thanks.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CV Sprocket Points justified salary - $8.3mm
    RL Sprocket Points justified salary - $9.1mm

CV gap - +$4.9mm (underpaid)
    RL gap - -$9.7mm (overpaid)

Even if CV plays no more more minutes next year and no better, he's still underpaid relative to performance. RL has to improve by 45% just to earn his current money. How on earth did he get to be the 14th highest paid guy in the league?

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Magic were in a sellers market and they felt like they had to overpay to bring in a FA. They did just get to the Finals without their all-star point guard, so arguably, the strategy worked.

They were walking through the desert and they decided that buying a $20 bottle of water was worth it.

5. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Same thing that happened with Lewis will happen next year. Teams with a lot of cap space and not a lot of options go out and try and make a MAX splash by giving a MAX deal to a submax player. Some would say Joe did this, but he got 2 solid guys for the same price as one. Next year, so many teams will have cap space hoping for a Lebron, but once those guys stay put or are traded there will be a lot of money and not a lot of great FA's. As a result, I predict a feeding frenzy on these lesser players and some outright atrocious contracts. Is Joe Johnson worth 20 million per? He will be next year. How about Nowitzki when he is 35? Someone will think so. My point is that these contracts are reasonable, regardless if you like the player or not.

On a sidenote, I feel that peoples emphasis on individual defense is a little harsh. In today's NBA, with the rule changes the days of a "lockdown" defender are gone. My opinion is that a great defensive team is a team that ALL buy into a \defensive philosophy and leanr their positions and when to help and where to be. Therefore, it is more upto the coaches to get the players to buy in, rather than get these "defensive" players. To me, Defense is more effort and emphasis than individual skill.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I hope you're right, but my thought that this is a bad deal is not compared to stupid GM's that make worse deals. It's compared to the deal's Joe makes.

And stats can measure how clutch Rashard Lewis or how valuable his presence spreading the floor is to who they are building around.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Aren't you the same person who was screaming for us to throw the WHOLE MLE at James Posey last year? How'd that work out for New Orleans. Charlie V is well worth the MLE by far and away, 6'11 - 24 - 16&7 for the MLE!!!! Lady that's a steal ina ny market. The reality is that the cap came in lower than expected, the cap usually goes up each season, this year it went down. Had the cap went up the normal 8% we would be looking at roughly $7M in cap space after both signings, enough to make a VERY lucrative trade for a salary dump.

8. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

9. G-man

G-man Starter

"Same thing that happened with Lewis will happen next year. Teams with a lot of cap space and not a lot of options go out and try and make a MAX splash by giving a MAX deal to a submax player. Some would say Joe did this, but he got 2 solid guys for the same price as one. Next year, so many teams will have cap space hoping for a Lebron, but once those guys stay put or are traded there will be a lot of money and not a lot of great FA's. As a result, I predict a feeding frenzy on these lesser players and some outright atrocious contracts. Is Joe Johnson worth 20 million per? He will be next year. How about Nowitzki when he is 35? Someone will think so. My point is that these contracts are reasonable, regardless if you like the player or not. " kpavv

This upcoming season the economy will further soften and you'll see a lot of empty seats in arenas that are normally full. See lots of corporate suites with no lights on. NBA wide revenue will shrink which will negatively effect next years salary cap and probably 2011 & 2012.

That means teams that are near maxed out will suddenly find themselves over the cap. Teams that signed guys to $20+M deals, or ridiculously high contracts will be upside down. Or because they carry high payrolls when the cap shrinks, they won't have the "spread" available to sign big deals. You'll see a lot of MLE sized deals and you'll see guys glad to get them.

You'll see far less franchise player movement than you expect because no one except their own teams will have the capacity or willingness to sign them to big deals when facing further shrinking cap space. It'll be more bear than bull market.

I think you'll likely see teams trying to collect expiring deals to lower their costs as the sole primary reason. As opposed to lowering their costs to position themselves to take down the franchise players.

Dumars signings will then look even more reasonable and forward looking.
    Don't believe it? Clip and paste this and we'll revisit it next summer..

linwood likes this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yes. And NO sucks so it's hardly comparable. James Posey is a piece that pushes a title contending team over the top not an injured, fluky team.

Honestly, i don't care about his stats. It very easy to put up stats on bad teams. I care about his impact, if he makes the team better, defense etc.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. Nothing to do but wait . . .

In the meantime, Joe could entertain me by signing more UCONN players LOL j/k

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Which you seem completely incapable of :pound:

Don't Joke, if Joe could somehow add Okafor and Butlerto this roster, I would be jumping up and down screaming Hallelujah!!!!!! See you in the trade thread, KG's wheels are now a'turnin'!!!!

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm extremely impatient. It's in my DNA. I can't help it. LOL

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

are you aware that, according to certain lore, impatient people are more prone to join with dark side?

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I've already joined the dark side. :)

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd like to add that the Dark side throws WAY better house parties than the Light side.

17. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Please, lets not turn this into a race issue.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't mean it that way. I meant dark as in "evil".

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

damnit. i know you didn't. i was hoping that you guys were just gonna run with it.

never mind.

linwood likes this.
  20. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor