Away Golden State Warriors Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He has an agenda against bad stats.

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

There are no positions in the new Positionless NBA.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum and Datome were the bright spots...(and Andre).

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

So far "the bun" looks like a better version of JJ.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I like your post. Not going to agree or disagree, but just use it as a good thought starter.

Cheeks) Never mind my rotations show no effort on my part, just go out there and do your best with what little I give you.

Yeah, midway thru the first, Singler did come in. Can see where you could confuse that for reverse speed.

I will give Jennings a break for one reason. Billups is not shooting guard, as old and slow as he is at the moment. Expecting Jennings to run without a shooting guard, and what's worse a guy who really just wants to get ops to do Jennings job for him, is quite an unreasonable expectation indeed.

Yes, coach is the one who puts Jennings out there in a bad situation. I can only hope next game it changes. No way he should start Billups. Who is apparently slightly injured - just from playing too much. Something, if anyone noticed, that Billups avoided like the plague during preseason. For very good reason. Billups does not expect to be a huge part of the rotation this year. Coach should get on the right page on this. Billups can be a great asset in practices, and indeed could be quite an asset to us in short stints as our point guard when Jennings sits. Or he can be a huge problem by continuing to start at shooting guard. Coach's choice. PS, of course, Bynum being our designated backup point stops Billups from getting time there.

Preaching to the choir on Singler. When he does try to look like part of our front line, its just pure comical.

Combining a couple of things. If Pope did half the boneheaded plays that Stuckey does, he would be designated for the D League and never seen again. Pope is a rook, and has an excuse. What is Stuckey's excuse. Last game, Pope played 24 minutes. Quite convenient. And he was minus 1 during those 24 minutes. While in the other half of the game, without Pope, we were minus 17. Pope is young, and could easily play 44 minutes a game for us, or at least until fouls got up to 6. In what world does a coach stick with his "vets" at this point, when a rook clearly shows his worth. Time will tell. Like Friday. Will coach decide to change? Lets all hope so. Forget labels, play rotations that win. Top priority. And 2nd priority, get our young ones developed. I know player development is a dirty word around here to many, but in this case, we can play Pope, and address both priorities.

Where are the Drummond pick and roll dunks when Jennings is in? And on that note, I thought Jennings was going to work on his going right.

Yeah, Smith was hardly the problem. As far as I am concerned, coach conceded the game to start the 2nd half when he marched Singler out there at small forward.

Mitchell looked raw. But it was his first real action this season. Whose fault is it really that he looked quite that raw? But he got 3 rebounds, and was found actually in plays around the basket. Indeed, he was in those plays sometimes well above the rim. Mitchell in for any of our bigs, and you do not notice any drop in physical presence up front. Its the way to go, not playing Singler at small forward. PS, JJ consistently looks better on our front line as a small forward as compared to Singler. To me, JJ has in no way played himself out of the rotation. But rather, its been a coach's bad choice of playing Singler over JJ at small forward just out of stubborness or not wanting to get Bynum out of the rotation. (Because he already has been not playing Pope at shooting guard, how could he then possibly find time for Singler there at this supposedly overcrowded position. A positions, shooting guard, where we actually only have one player on the team who can play the position - and his name is Pope. Singler probably the 2nd best.)

If Datome can shoot well, even at shooting guard he might help us. We should be able to hide one slow player on defense.

A rotation of Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond, with a 2nd unit of Siva, Datome, Mitchell, Smith, Monroe could work. There would be an intermediate unit of Jennings, Pope, Datome, Mitchell, Drummond. This is an 8 man rotation, which never features more than one slow of foot player on defense at any one time - with the closest to that if you count Monroe as slow, but note he would be playing center for our 2nd unit, not power forward.

CV did not play. So I won't slam his poor defense. Who knows, he may have surprised us and nailed a few threes. Datome did look horrible his first time out, but a whole lot better the 2nd. But the basic problem with CV is that he is even on the team. That is a GM problem.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Datome is a 3. A player with a speed problem isn't going to thrive at the 2 over the 3.

Putting a slow guy on the perimeter is a recipe for disaster.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. We need a 2 that can defend and hit outside shots. Perhaps he is already on our roster.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

He has a nice stroke

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This guy is used to be an MVP type player. Cheeks better start treating him that way so that he can get into his comfort zone. Give him 2 lockers. Let him skip practice if he wants. Start him. Let him call his own plays, etc.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sure, and Singler did not play most of his games last year as our starting shooting guard. You must mention what is possible, even though you may have better ideas. Sure, I have said over and over, we just do not have any good option other than Pope at shooting guard. So we have to make do until the GM goes out and gets one.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good discussion and thoughts from everyone.....but seems like we are writing off the season after seven games. I understand though....so much anticipation after seeing Monroe and Drummond blossom....and then adding Smith and Jennings to the mix you'd think we be 4-3 after seven....but that defense :help:

So far based on what I am hearing, these guys are second coming of the U-Con artists Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon :gaah:

linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watched the game again. Sure enough, Bynum only played positive in garbage time, after he came in with us down 29 and our opponent going to their bench. Pope was well positive, when played as a shooting guard in the 2nd half. Datome did nothing on defense, but did shoot well - indeed all his shots went toward making Bynum positive in that garbage time. And yes, I got to see Datome hit shots in non - garbage time before I say anything really about how he can help us with his shooting. I doubt it matters where we play him. We are going to have to hide him on defense regardless. Might as well play him at shooting guard as anywhere else, if his shooting is for real.

Smith certainly did not hurt us. I broke down defensive play after defensive play, and it was not him hurting us. He took few shots in this game, only making the one layup on a fast break. But he also got a couple of nice assists, and one of his drives in resulted in his miss but an easy slam back by Drummond. I still hold that the coach conceded this game when he decided not to start Smith in the 2nd half.

As far as our defense. Pretty bad. I will pick on one player though, for the worst defensive rotation of the game. Bynum came down, and completely passed on covering the shooter, and instead, he and Singler were found double teaming a player over toward the corner while the guy Bynum passed up swished a totally uncontested triple. I watched that several times, trying to see any other reason Bynum did what he did there, other than for being so short, he actually could not have affected the shooter in any case. Now, but that was not the biggest problem though. Too many times, players did not know what to do in a situation. Too many times an extra defender addressed the ball, leaving somebody else for an easy hoop at the basket or a wide open shot. Some of this can certainly be put on the fact the rotations keep changing. But hey, they are changing so much because coach chooses to use rotations that do not work. So, I put it mostly on the coach, although for sure, some players did make some bad decisions.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yellow sub tweeter Brandon Jennings turned his back and walked away from Steph Curry early in the 1st Q while he was standing in the corner during an inbound play. You won't believe this, but Curry hit the shot.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Jennings was busy plotting his next field goal attempt.
    ...No time to check Curry.

16. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

"Steph Curry isn't a threat from the corner. Its just a bad shot"
    - Mo Cheeks

"Steph Curry explodes with 60 points and sets a record with 30 3pt field goals as the Pistons leave him unmarked in the corner"
    - ESPN

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.