Home Golden State Warriors Monday, February 24, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thankyou for twisting my words. No. Singler does not get much defensive attention. If the ball is not passed out to Singler, a guard, always the shortest player available from the other team, does keep track of him, but gets no where near him. Now, if the ball is passed out to Singler, that guard runs out to Singler, who passes the ball off, rather than recognizing that he should shoot the ball, since he has several inches in height over the guard charging out there. And really, he should be able to get his shot off faster so even if the person charging out there was taller, it would not matter.

Anyway, its pretty obvious you are not actually watching the games, or you would already know which of our players get the defensive attention, including on the perimeter. Singler gets very little.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That 3 minutes does seem like an optimal sample size.
    The Panda and Laimbrane like this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I figured the Defense would be good. I just wanted to see the iso play with 5 Tayshauns on the floor.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure if rebounds are defense, but GSW was on pace for 25 offensive rebounds per 48 min with Singler on the bench. They ended up scoring exactly 1.0 points per possession, which is 10% worse than our season average.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure how it equates in the statistics but coaches will tell you that the defensive rebound is the final and most important step in a defensive possession.
  6. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I just looked a few minutes at the Atlanta game and upper didnt happen. Singler was guarded by his own man. Same for some GS highlights i saw on NBA.com and other sites. Never a guard ran out on him unless Singler's man rotated to defend someone else. . Maybe you are mistaking defensive help rotation as "guards running towards Singler"
    But glad you mentioned it and i will watch more closely for it.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

So to conclude this discussion, Singlers hustle makes him our best perimeter defender and he is the only Piston who makes the opposing team pay by knocking down long balls.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hustle, proper positioning, intelligent helping decisions, and being 6'8". Also, he is apparently extremely lucky as his stats paint a much rosier picture than his projected long term results.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How did I twist your words? I quoted you directly.

Lee is right because he's the only person who watches the games. Everyone who disagrees with him must not be watching the game.

How silly.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    linwood and basketbills like this.
  10. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

too much Singler talk on here
    brofmfa and linwood like this.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Then talk about something else. Please. Me, I will reply to whatever subject others post.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

But you are not saying you are watching the games. I will assume that you are too busy. Too bad for you. Still fun to watch.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are seriously pulling a stat from 3 minutes of play?
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You do realize that the Pistons only employ about a 7 and a half man rotation? Who is Singler outrebounding? Stuckey and Bynum? Is that worth mentioning really?
  15. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

So you want Singler to outrebound Drummond, Monroe and Smith or else it means he doesnt play defence or is a poor rebounder. Get real.......
    basketbills likes this.
  16. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

My wife can watch basketball games all day. Doesn't automatically mean she has basketball knowledge.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Because I am not going to lower myself to your level, where my argument rests on making a personal attack, instead of promoting the merits of my argument with facts and logic.

The fact is, you lost this Singler argument months ago. The evidence, even your own observations, refute your theory that he is the single greatest reason we lose games.

It's an ageless formula you use every season about some player. Player X is too short. Therefore Player X should not play. If he plays, the coach is trying to lose games, and the GM is intentionally destroying the team. And Player X is why we lose every game, but never why we win any games. Because at the end of the day, your entire theory of basketball talent devolves to "play guys out of position so they are bigger than who they are playing".

I mean, you're the guy who complains about Singler's speed, when he plays 2x as fast as Daye, a player you have spent much time celebrating on this forum. But Daye is tall, and so you will rationalize Daye being better in every way because regardless of what you see in the games you watch over and again, it is all about the most vulgar of measures (height) in a game where talent and execution reins supreme.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lower yourself to my level? That is a personal attack. Not reading the rest.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dumars watches the games. Maybe
    No, it was 3:56...
    linwood and Walter like this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe Dumars can watch games for a decade. Doesn't mean that he's not going to totally decimate the value of the franchise.