GM/Coach for a day

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ambidex, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ambidex

Ambidex Second Round Draft Pick

Just thought this might be fun. If you could be Joe or Flip, or heck even both for a day, what would you do? Would you make any moves with the team? If you were coach, how would you run the offense but still maintain the D?
  2. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'd run 3 pointer drills until their arms fell off. We've got a lot of guys willing to take the 3, and Chauncey seems to be the only one that hits them with any regularity.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would sit on the phone and screw with all of the other GMs. Offer Rip, Tay, Ben, DMC and Sheed just to get them hot and bothered.

Then the next day when Joe was back on the job, he'd be telling them all to go to hell.

HoopsHype's rumours page would be busy. :heh:
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

1st order of business is to sign Prince (make sure he's in our future)

I'd showcase Delfino as much as possible in the Preseason... see if he has gained a step worth putting on the floor. If he can keep up on defense then maybe we have a keeper (providing attitude has been properly adjusted).
    If he still has problems defending then he becomes trade material in a package.

I find out as much as possible about Acker this preseason and early season to see if he has potential to be the backup PG (sorry PRballer).
    Amir to the NBDL (new rule permiting)

Mid season evalution:
    Can Darko be counted on for consistent PT?
    Is Acker ready to step up at PG
    IS Delfino the all around player we envisioned?
    Are we getting the scoring and defense at our backup SF position?
    Everyone healthy for the playoff run?

Potential Mid-season deal:
    If Acker pans out and Delfino hasn't improved I package Delfino and Arroyo (plus trade exception) for Harrington (may have to include one of Lee's prized rooks).

Maybe pick up a vet PG for the minimum (insurance)

Hopefully with Harrington's bird rights we could retain his services. If not we would free up 6.8M for more flexibility

Harrington becomes the starting SF... Prince plays major minutes at SF and SG (sorry Max).

SF- Harrington, Prince, Evans, Jmax
    PF- Sheed, McDyess, Harrington
    C- Ben, Darko, DD
    SG- Rip, Prince, Evans
    PG- Billups, Acker, Hunter

I would keep the defensive system exactly how it was under LB (it ain't broke)... maybe get back to the trapping game of 2003/04

On offense- Use more off the ball movement... often dump the ball in early to Sheed to take advantage of his length and floor vision....
    Set lots of inside screens and use various backcuts (Kings)
    If no cutters shake free the option is to post up or kick it out to Chauncey, Prince etc.
    If Harrington is in the mix (big if) he can also post up lighter SF's.
    Fast break a lot... even on made baskets.
    If we could go late into the 4th with a decent lead throw out a killer defense... something like:
    C- Ben
    PF- Sheed
    SF- Prince
    SG- Evans
    PG- Hunter (or Acker)

To quote Clint Black...."This killin' time...is killin' me"