Glyny stinks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Oct 14, 2005.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

After watching Andreas Glyniadakis play for the first time last night, it became obvious to me that he will NEVER make it in the NBA. He is way too slow. He moves around very awkwardly, almost robotic.

On the plus side, I did appreciate the fact that he seemed to really be giving 100% when he was on the floor. He was moving to the right spots, appearing to know the offense pretty well.

I wouldn't call him a bust because when you're taking a player towards the end of the 2nd round, it is usually a crap shoot. You can't blame Joe D and company for taking a chance on a 7-footer. At this point, though, the Pistons should just cut their ties with the guy.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't understand why they brought him into camp at all.

After not hitting the floor during SL, Joe said that they would make a decision about Paulding and Glynnie allowing them to pursue other bball opportunities.

Paulding was released but for some reason, Joe won't let this guy go.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Dream matchup

Who would win a game of one on one between Eric Montross and Glynny? :confused:
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

ggazoo

Scary thought. I'll look for that one on pay-per-view.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Triple Threat Match

Glynnie vs. Montross vs. Shawn Bradley
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think you're underestimating his athletisism... the scrimmage I saw he showed good quickness and open court running (albeit uncoordinated)... he's much quicker than some of the Euro sloths that have entered the association... he prolly had Darko disease yesterday... or as Manfred Mann says "blinded by the lights".

I'm gonna keep an open mind for a couple more games on the kid.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You Never Want To Cut Big Guys Too Quickly

As the saying goes "You can't teach height"

Its Davidson's checkbook and the few minutes Glynny takes from other big guys this time of the year isn't going to hurt anything.

Wise to hang on to big men as long as there is a chance. The Cadaviers gave up too early on Bad Boy Bill and look what happened.
  8. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Glinny

Glinny is still here because of two things:

1. He is big.

2. He didn't get too much time during summer league.

Paulding did and if I recall correctly didn't do too well and we didn't have a place for him. We're even having a hard time deciding on the last cut let alone have him.

Glinny on the other hand is a big man and could be used for that purpose.

But I agree. He isn't gonna stick around. He may have hidden athleticism and will make him into Shaq but he isn't showing it yet so unless he does and blows everybody away, he is gone. :nod:
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

kinda reminded me of Jim McIlvaine, still know that guy?
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I think McIlvaine might still be getting paid by somebody in the NBA. What a bad contract that was!

Glyniadakis hasn't played all that much in Greece, so the Pistons are doing a courtesy to their draft pick by keeping him around for experience and exposure. It might help him raise his stock with other teams in Europe. Right now he's still not even listed on the team roster at pistons.com.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Bill, you are overlooking a few things with Glinny.

1) In the Greek culture it is considered to be impolite to show your true talent in games that don't count.

2) A big man such as Glinny will have trouble getting his blood flowing to his legs after sitting on the bench for extended periods of time.

3) The robotic look is caused more by camera placement than real movement.

I'll reserve judgement on Glinny until I get there in person and watch his warmup performance. Until then any rush to judgement is foolish.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The guy who consistently finds diamonds in the rough sift through a lot of rough. He's worth a long hard look.
    We talk about roster spots with mainly this year in mind...joe's probably thinking 2-3 years down the line. In the big picture it doesn't cost the team all that much.
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

LANIERFAN INTERNAL MONOLOG - 10/15/05, 13:47 EST:

"Sifts through a lot of rough." Niiiice. This Slippy guy bears watching ...
  14. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

What are the chances that Joe is getting a look at this kid, up close and personal like, then will send him to the NBADL (or whatever they're calling it now)? They can stay down there for 2 years right?

So in two years, Davis and/or Dyess will be gone, right? (sorry, I don't remember their contracts off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure 1 of them only has 2 years left)

And maybe Sheed's slower, and Ben's slowing a bit, and maybe Darko's a steady contributor, and maybe Maxiel or Johnson have stepped it up... but...

If it's going to cost the club nothing to keep this guy playing in the North American game, and in two years, MAYBE he's ready to contribute... why not?

Why not stick with someone you know?

I'd bet $$$$$ that Joe D will be watching his kids in the NBADL closely.
  15. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

| thought either Dumars or Hammond said....

that since he was injured and didn't get a real look in the summer league they wanted to bring him to camp to get that look, so that both sides could move on.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

OK, but if I remember correctly, Joe said after Summer league was over that he would make a decision.

It seems they did make a decision. Keep him around. But based upon the contract situation, it doesn't look like he has any chance of making the squad, so we are back to square one with this guy...
  17. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

they didn't get a chance to watch him in summer league as he was hurt... if i remember correctly.... i could be wrong, as i am a michigan man trapped in scotland for the first basketball season and trying to figure out how to get my fixes.....
  18. G-man

G-man Starter

Trade him...

For someones future pick. he's backed up behind too many other bigs and he's soft like a warm pretzel. One thing you already know, he'll never come back to haunt us. We need to bankroll picks for another time and place.
  19. max

max All-Star

Nice Dig

Another player raised to celeberity status by a certain former poster. He and Acker.

But I will keep an open mind and watch these 2 as the pre-season continues.