Glen Davis Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jul 3, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

I wouldn't be discounting the idea that Dumars may yet attempt a run on or trade for Bostons Glen Davis..He can't do much until Boston snags another Big like Sheed, but once they do, Davis may become expendable due to cost should an offer be made they can't or won't match..

Celtics tender offer to Glen Davis - BostonHerald.com

Glen Davis monitors offers - BostonHerald.com

One Celtics bloggers take;
    CelticsBlog - An unofficial Boston Celtics blog

A little here
    Owner's Edge NBA - Fantasy NBA Player News

If they get this done what happens to Davis? They're also targeting Dyess, what happens? Sign-n-trade possibility Dyess for Davis?
    Danny Ainge's Goal: Sign Rasheed Wallace and Grant Hill | Bleacher Report

NBA.com : Glen Davis Info Page
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I love Dyess, but I'd rather have Davis due to age. Davis can sign for longer and mesh with the team. Dyess would most likely be short-term fill in.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Davis is a lazy player. He's got a lot of upside, but every time someone gets a long term deal and they have a questionable motor, I brace myself for disappointment.

With a guy like Ben Wallace, people may not have seen his upside, but his motor was never in question. Same thing with Hamilton.

But with guys like Sheed, Boozer, even Kwame Brown (which makes his current deal so clever) when they get paid, they don't seem to bring the next level of competitiveness until it is contract time again.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    There is some talk about CV having the same issue.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Davis has surprised me. I never thought he'd be a success in the NBA. He came up pretty big last year for Boston in KG's absence.
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

Hear ya R, but the guys only been in the league all of 2 years and those on a roster where he had a limited role.

I'm not his advocate. I'm just pointing out he's been rumored in the prior deal to the Pistons. The word about Dumars interest in him seems to be coming from a variety of diverse sourcing. We're pretty limited in our ability to tag & tackle a bonafide Center and he's an available, potentially inexpensive wide load. He's a soft handled space taker at roughly 290lbs.

He ought to be pretty capable of grabbing more boards and knocking people on the keesters in the lane, especially if that's his primary mission. Detroit doesn't look like it's going to be hurting for lack of shooters. It needs an intimidating low post presence that'll make the lane vanish and this guys got a blue ribbon backside like Ricky Mahorns.

I know everyone wants a "Chandler" but I think it's going to be a tough pull. This guy is quietly floating around under the radar and that's where Dumars hunts. It all comes down to who Boston gets for the MLE. If the well runs dry before they can wrestle a veteran big to the ground, he's not going anywhere. But if they do get a Sheed or Dyess, this guy may be on the outside looking in, by late next week there may be very few teams that can offer him more than Detroit.

I'm not judging, just giving witness...
  7. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

I like Davis. I never took him for being lazy, he always seemed to be playing all out whenever I watch him. Maybe playing with KG in his ear had something to do with it, but still... And also, I like that he can shoot a decent 15 footer and is a big unmovable object in the paint. The only real knock is that he has little to zero leaping ability, coupled with him only being 6'9.

Edited to add: But his FG% is 44%... not good for a Big. Maybe those 15fters have something to do with it?
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Some players don't commit on defense. That doesn't mean they have a low motor. Eddie House is a good example of a guy with a high motor who couldn't defend a lick, and he committed to it one year in Boston, and helped them win a title.

A guy can choose to play D, he can't choose to have a jumper, or slick handles. That is why Jamal Crawford is still in the NBA.

Same here. I don't have a horse in this race. Whoever we get, will be who I cheer for.

I just wanted to point out that motor matters.
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

Your saying he's like an Oliver Miller with hops? :)
    He's got a nice little fade-away and spin move. Works the top of the key, can play the pick-n-roll and usually is effective passing out of trouble. He doesn't panic and he's light and quick on his feet for a bigman. Just have to keep his weight in the 290lb range. He'd be a solid roll player.

If Dumars can get this guy in $3.5 - 5M, I personally don't think anyone (outside of in here :) ) would be unhappy with his game and effort.

As an aside, it's been a pretty interesting FA signing period so far this year, with Shaq now back in the East with Cleveland and Yao down for the count, where does the overall power lie? If both Dyess and Sheed sign in the East and Chandler ends up there too, has the Wests cupboard been stripped totally bare?
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like that explanation.
  11. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Thank you, Mr. Bilas. lol
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd take Big Baby over Max any day. She shoots and boards better....
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Typo? :pound:
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep...I was thinking about baby sister:)
  15. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

I think I'd rather have Dice than Big Baby. Dice works better in the high pick and pop because he has better range than Davis. And I can see the Pistons running Dice and Gordon/Stuckey/Bynum on this play all day long. If you use Davis (or any other big that can't shoot outside of 15 feet), then his defender will simply drop off and clog the lane for the attacking guard. If the big that sets the screen can keep his defender honest, then it opens everything up in the middle. Then Gordon/Stuckey/Bynum can drive and finish or dump to Chandler or kick-out for a 3.

Also, Dice is still a pretty darn good defender. And although Davis is big, you can shoot over him.
  16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well, you are judging and I don't mind that a bit.

Davis is surprisingly light on his feet (Mr. Twinkle-toes). Has a very soft jumper and at 15 ft doesn't look unnatural. He is a big man who is a very good athlete. He will get better as a player, because he is learning to adapt within a certain limited distance range from the basket. He seems more clever than one would think and JD likes clever ball players. His contract could be reasonable (3.5-4 mil) and as long as JD keeps his trade options open, would be a solid middle option. Remember, you don't have a solid middle with CV or BG.

Bringing Dyess in this equation complicates things. The whole club is now changing and Dyess likes familiarity. The middle must hold for the Pistons. Dyess, Tay and Rip are not middle types.
  17. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

What y'all doing? Watching him eat?
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought I had read something recently where Davis says he can get down to 270 realistically.

I think it was in the same article that he said he was working on extending his range out to the 3pt line this summer. I'm not sure if this is good or bad anymore.
  19. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

Davis getting down to 270 is good. But 3pt range? Not so much. Like I have already pointed out, he shot [b[44%[/b] last season.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is that so bad for his first season shooting J's?