Free Agent Period Opens Wed., What Will Joe Do?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like that lineup a lot. Any way to keep Dyess too and bring him off the bench? Do we know what Dyess is expecting to make this year?
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Joe Dumars, Pistons heading in wrong direction - The Huge Blog

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

4. mikhail1973

I wonder if there is some feud going on behind the scenes. With everything that's been written about lately, it wouldn't surprise me about Joe. Maybe that's the part of the reason that Laimbs left the organization. Who likes their dirty laundry being showcased?
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

No Mor'man....looks like Okur is skipping town

Utah Jazz: Okur likely to opt out - Salt Lake Tribune

Maybe there's a sign-n-trade hiding in here somewhere.

Other item noted, according to this writer, allegedly, Boozer thinks he's a franchise player....(must be sun poisoning, little heat stroke).

He's a good solid player when healthy. Maybe Arnie can come up with a better training regime that could help this guy. But I personally sure don't think he's a franchise player..

Maybe in the $10-11m range this season (because of the market demand and shortage), he needs to put two good years together playing 150+ games. The 12.6 he's opting out on - serious bucks - questionable risk that anyone else gives that kinda money. Think the only reason he pulls that trigger is he doesn't want to compete with all the other FA's next summer.
  6. mikhail1973

Re: No Mor'man....looks like Okur is skipping town

Okur would be a welcome addition to the team. However, who do you send to Utah to facilitate the trade?
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Hold your horses on passing judgement, will you? If Joe goes and spends that money on signing Peja Stojakovic to an 8 year contract, then yes, it will forever be known as the infamous and idiotic trade. If he somehow bring in Chris Bosh and Shane Battier, then it would be a brilliant move. Sheesh.
  8. G-man

G-man Starter

Amare Studebaker...

Stoudemire waiting for decision

More insanity. This guy wants $20m a year and thinks he too is a premium franchise player. They're talking about his opting out on almost $18M next summer if he isn't traded..

18 is roughly a third of a teams payroll. Think hard about that. 1/3 to one guy and the other 14 get the table scraps. Unless you're in a huge market with lots of additional ways to leverage your media offerings you can't build a team this way anymore.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

As I've speculated a few times before: must be bad blood between Joe & Laimbeer...it obviously wasn't bad between Laimbeer & Bill D.

I think Joe might have been scared for his own job. And now that Bill D is gone, Joe is probably leaned on by the Davidson family to take care of the Pistons. His job is secure because he's in control (?).

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Laimbeer got a coaching shot here under Joe, but I doubt it will happen.
  10. mikhail1973

More on Okur here:

I wonder what would he be looking for in terms of money? Or maybe it is because of the all the available FAs next year?

Agent says Okur may leave Jazz
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hold onto that thought Westside girlfriend... there's supposed to be 11-13 assistant coaching changes around the 1st week of July (when their contracts run out)... I wonder if the Cowens shift to the front office is to make room for Laim... word is that the Pistons are going to cover two spots with one assistant (lead assistant & big man coach?)... gotta crawl b4 U can sprint :^)
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Amare Studebaker...

If he really wants a ring, he should sign with the Spurs for $10m a year.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you're seeing a lot of guys opting out or threatening to opt out not necessarily to get more money, but to get extensions for at least the same money. If the cap falls, it's going to be harder to get a raise in a year or two.
  14. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

One thing I've figured out about joe dumars is that he has no problem lying to us, the fans and ticket holders, about what the pistons are doing. If he told everybody two seasons ago that he planned on letting flip go and shutting the whole %%%% down, it would have meant huge losses in ticket sales. If he came out today and said we were going to scrap nearly the entire team, burn a few years learning to figure out an entirely new style of playing basketball, THEN hire a new coach that can actually do something with the players he bought we would all start watching more hockey.

While Joe has everybody fooled, thinking that this a reloading/retooling it is really more of a rebuilding. By the end of this upcoming season I plan to see less than 4 players remaining from the last team to make it to the eastern conference finals.

I also expect the brand of basketball these new players play to be completely different, especially on offense. Letting people dribble down the clock before settling for crappy jumpshots will not win any championships. Defensively, we need to change our philosophy just slightly, maybe just enough that the players don't spend all day complaining about the refs calling fouls that they didn't call when we were in the finals.

For the Pistons to have success now they need to have a rebuild I don't care what Joe calls it.

I assume that it is a rebuild, and we know of what this new style might look like, (spread offense with skilled big men and fast penetrating guards). Most of the players who are not going to be down with this new system have already been excised.

If we pick a couple of productive big men who can run the floor and are athletic and wings that can shoot and make plays then we are good. But we already have that in our current wings. This is why I doubt that the pistons are going to try to get rid of rip or tayshaun unless they are part of this "drama" that caused so many problems last year.

A roster like this would be a good start, (and given how off seasons always end without as much drama as i'd like, it seems pretty realistic)

PG Stuckey Bynum
    SG Hamilton Afflalo
    SF Prince Rookies
    PF Lee Maxiel
    C Okur Kwame
  15. G-man

G-man Starter

"One thing I've figured out about joe dumars is that he has no problem lying to us, the fans and ticket holders, about what the pistons are doing. If he told everybody two seasons ago that he planned on letting flip go and shutting the whole %%%% down, it would have meant huge losses in ticket sales." Tads

This basic theme seems to run through a lot of threads in the forum these days. and I'm having a hard time understanding a lot of folks thinking.

How long do ya'll think a normal team has together? How long do you think a core group normally stays together? The Pistons "core" was kept intact longer than almost any core group in the last 20 years. So how could anyone be surprised when those pieces started being re-arranged? What did you expect? 8 years? 10 years?

How could anyone be surprised about Flip Saunders being let go? He was still the longest tenured Pistons coach since Dumars took over the helm. How did that come out of left field? He brought in an experienced coach to lead an experienced core group of players with the directive to win another championship before the core had a meltdown.

He didn't get the job done. That's pretty simple stuff. He knew it when he accepted those big weekly checks. His fate was tied to their fate, that was the essence of his contract.

No one lied to anyone.

If you take 5 people standing by the side of the road and two cars crash, it's pretty normal for all 5 to report it happening in different ways.
    They all had different perspectives.

That's what we have here with the Pistons. Depending upon when you started seriously watching their last run, you may feel cheated.

In 2000/2001 the Pistons finished 32-50.

In 2001/2002 the Pistons finished 50-32 and won their Division.
    Thats the actual year the last run started.

It didn't start with C-Note, Hamilton, Tay, Wallace and Wallace.

It started with Stackhouse, Corliss, Ben, Zelly, Barros, Barry, Atkins and Damon Jones (and the highest paid Piston at $7+m Cliff the spliff Robinson). It started with back-ups named Varda, White, Moore, Curry, Cardinal & Alexander.

The next year they did it again, 50-32.
    They added Pepe, Don Reid, Okur, Danny Manning and Hubert Davis.
    The run was on. No C-note, No Rip, No tay, No Sheed.

The next year they did it again, 54-28.
    Only now we watched Billups, Elden Campbell, Tremaine Fowlkes, Darvin Ham, Mike James, Hamilton, Tay, Sura and Dinko.

The point being is it was an 8 year run. It digested a lot of players, fans and coaches along the way. Thats the way it works. It's a taxing process.

Meaning no disrespect, but if you checked in and started watching full time in 2004 you already missed the first three acts. The run was roughly 40% over by the time we won the Championship. The run was defined by change as much as it was by the core groups tenure.

Everything looks rosey looking back but the reality is Ben Wallace only played for 3 years with Billups and Hamilton. He only played for two and half seasons with Rasheed. It was over in a nod & a blink.

Cause that's how fast it happens, that's how fast your skate loses it's blade edge. You blink, it's gone. You have to learn to enjoy it while it's in play regardless of the warts - cause while it's coming, it's going.

Only question is where in the process do you reach critical mass?

You can't blame anyone for the minutes slipping by. You have to live them. Dumars isn't perfect, no one is, but he's charged with seeing the future. With making moves that effect tomorrow as much or more than today. It's kinda like playing 3 D chess.

While most fans basically live in the moment, they aren't charged with doing anything more than being faithful fans. They have real jobs in real places. It's easy to understand if they weren't paying attention along the way, it's understandable that some folks might feel a little cheated. But it doesn't mean you were cheated.

It's a simple matter of perspective..

So the cool part is we're basically in the same place we were in 2000.

It's staring again. Only the last time we had no idea what kinda house Joe D was going to build. Who he could talk into coming to Detroit. Our program had been league cannon fodder for almost 9 years and the first that happened was Grant Hill defected in the middle of the night to Orlando.

This time around the league respects us, respects Dumars and respects our house. We know Dumars has the ability to load talent and he seems to have a very good grasp on the financial dynamics. It should get pretty good again fairly quick.

Watch and see...Pistons Powering Up..
  16. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Excellent analysis G-man.

Patience and perspective are needed. We had a nice run and, hopefully, a new one will start in a few years. Got a few years to go, however.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks for keepin' it real G-Man... it's a simple cycle of excellence... you got the top players everybody wants them (therefore driving up the cost).. you get %%%% picks and less $'s to spend... what's not to comprehend?
    Rare exceptions like the Spurs having major injuries and tanking to get lucky in the lottery will happen... unfortuntely our lotto pick didn't pan out (still might with the Stucky rebound).
    Nobody's lying.. the fans haven't been cheated... maybe just unresonably spoiled.
  18. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

19. max

max All-Star

Good points and I am looking forward to a new team. Will it happen as fast, faster, slower? I don't know. One thing - its not fair to write this team off 2 days before FA period begins.

Its also getting old using the Spurs as a role model for perfection. They have this and that player, do this and that like you should. Take Tim Duncan off that team in any of the years and they would have no chance. They will be good as long as Duncan is good.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right. So, dominant big man with an incredible work ethic, a professional attitude, no ego, a defensive mindset, and a strong sense of loyalty... i.e. Piston DNA.

That is our Holy Grail. And that is why I would scratch Amare, Boozer, and a few other off of our shopping list. We obviously aren't getting a Tim Duncan (#1 draft pick type guy), but we should be looking for a big man with as many Duncan-like qualities as possible.