Free Agent Period Opens Wed., What Will Joe Do?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Jun 28, 2009.

1. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

The beginning of the Free Agent signing period begins with alot hanging on it for the pistons. What will happen with McDyess? Rasheed? Does anyone want AI?

The biggest question is who will we buy with the money that we got from these big stars leaving? Dumars leveraged our current success when traded Chauncey last fall. Whoever he signs will ultimately be the legacy for the infamous (or idiotic) trade that marked the end of the pistons ECF run.

Looking at the free agents available who do you think Joe D should pick?

If you think there really isn't anyone worth picking, the pistons could also make a trade, there are many financially strapped teams out there. Who should they trade for ?
  2. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

I'd take Ben Gordon first to set up a trade involving Rip. Then, after that, I'd pursue Boozer or David Lee to fill up the starting PF or C role. soon after I'd start talking to teams about a trade with Rip to bring back a center to play with Boozer or a PF to play with Lee.
    Potential Rotation:

Stuckey/Bynum
    Gordon/Afflalo/Summers
    Prince/Daye/Washington
    Boozer-???/Maxiel
    Lee-???/Brown

P.S. I wouldn't be mad if Joe D. pulled of some magic and brought in all three.

Turkoglu is an option too but it would bring in too many forwards and Prince may get traded.
  3. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

Thier are some very good FA's out thier and some guys who can make a big impact on the game....no this class doesnt have the superstars the next FA class may have but none the less its a solid class.

I think we should pursue Gordon and David Lee in free agency. That would probably eat most of our cap though so after that I would try to trade Rip and Tay for Bosh or Amare. We could add future pick(s) also. I like Boozer a lot but he gets hurt quite often and Lee averages nearly the same pts and rebounds and is one of them hard working players. A ceap option at Center maybe Drew Gooden. Seems like he is old but still only 27 and did well last year in SA. Good rebounder and solid offensive threat...nothing special but would be a decent pickup. With Joe D talking about wanting to be versatile maybe we look at Carlie Villanueava....I doubt it but he is a guy that has a nice inside/ouside game.

Now back to if we traded Rip and Tay for a big guy like Bosh or Amare then we would likely need to find a cheaper replacement for Tay...well thier is a few guys we could look at like Trevor Ariza or possibly Shawn Marion. MArion is 31 though and coming off his worse year but thats why he would be cheap. Probably could spend the MLE on him and he could come back and have a better year but he averaged 12pts and 8 boards last year. See I think Bosh could be traded because he has said in the past he doesnt want to play for Toronto and wont resign with them and if they did this they add 2 solid players and possibly picks for him so its not a complete loss compared to what it would be if they wait a year and he walks in FA.

What Ive said is probably not likely but fun to think about and would really reshape the roster in a good way I think.

Stuckey/Bynum
    Gordon/Afflalo/Summers
    Ariza or Marion/Daye/Washington
    Bosh/Maxiel
    Lee/Brown

Ok thats what I would love to happen but probably wont but hey its fun to think about.
  4. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

I agree with you on everything except for Bosh and Marion if we give up Tay AND Rip then I want Amar'e in return, and I'd take Hedo over Marion
    any day.

Stuckey/Bynum
    Gordon/Afflalo/Summers
    Turkoglu/Daye/Washington
    Stoudemire/Maxiel
    Lee/Brown
  5. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

What is next Baby step? - The Boston Globe

GLEN DAVIS Would love to stay, but ...

Could Joe Dumards go to sign Glen Davies,he can be Gortart/kwame/...alternative?

Stuck/bynum
    Gordon(26)/Affalo
    Prince/Daye/Sharpe
    Boozer(27)?Villanueva(24)?Millsap(24)?/Maxi/Dejuan Summers
    Glen davies(23 years old)/Gortart(25)?

Trade Rip,Oberto or Kwame getting a PF
  6. rip_city

well I would perfer Hedo also over Marion by a long shot but not sure if we would have the cap to sign him so thought we could go with a cheap guy that we could probably use the MLE on. I also could go either way on Stoud or Bosh...both are very good and would help this team.
  7. rip_city

Dont really want Glen Davis and really dont believe he can play C...he is about Maxiells size so dont really want more undersized big guys...I would love to sign Gortat though...he is still young and improving and is a very solid big guy.
  8. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I think Ben Gordon and David Lee are the guys we should go after. Gordon is undersized (although I've always thought size wasn't that big an issue), but he isn't afraid to play inside, and he can shoot the 3, something we were lacking a bit of last season. David Lee is self explanitory.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Since we are under the Soft-Cap, we don't have the MLE.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sign Ben Gordon, David Lee and Gortat. Trade Rip & Maxiel to Houston for Shane Battier and Von Wafer (FA).

PG: Stuckey/Bynum
    SG: Gordon/Wafer/AA
    SF: Tay/Daye/Jonas
    PF: Lee/Battier/Summers
    C: Gortat/Kwame
  11. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

I like that team, i like it a lot, though i'm wondering, would Charlotte be willing to trade Wallace for Prince? I know they've been trying to get rid of him last year, not really a favorite of LB, i personally think he would be an improvement over Tay. Also, DeAndre Jordan from the Clippers is a young, cheap and very promising center. I would try to get him as well. Other then that, the line-up seems very good.
  12. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I don't see anything good happening this year, the FA market is pretty soft and it won't help us beat Cleveland/Orlando.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't understand the logic here. Why would we weaken our position by making Rip redundant right before trying to trade him?
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But if we trade Rip first, we weaken our position in going after Ben Gordon, because he knows we have a gaping hole at the 2.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Either way, the point is moot when you have a guy like Arron Afflalo who can single-handedly win a game by merely taking the floor for 5 seconds at the end of a quarter.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do we still have Bynum? Or is he a FA now?

Seems like a pretty good backup PG.
  17. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Still have him.

I think Walter Sharpe has a Team Option. Would be interesting, if he drops him. As Joe now has Daye and Summers.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This where your bashing of the great Joe D comes back to haunt you. He is going to sign Gordon and trade Rip at the same time much like he did with the trade of Billups and Rip's extension.
  19. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

I'll go ahead and give my off-season plan for Joe.

Free Agnecy
    Let Sheed, AI, Herrmann, and Dice walk(as much as I'd love for dice to stay, he really wants to contend...)
    Try to go after Millsap or Lee. Both of them are young and have tons of potential to be great players. Hopefully Boozer will be sort of a last result a last resort. If he takes his player option, then it will basically be between Lee or Boozer. I would much rather have Lee. He'd be a little cheaper than Boozer, much less injury prone, better defensively, and he'll be more effective in games with less "drama."
    Sign Ben Gordon. Plain and simple. Even though he is undersized, he has proven to be an all-star caliber starting SG in this league.
    Sign Sean Marks(PF/C from New Orleans). The Hornets are clearing out everyone they possibly can. Sean Marks will be a free agent, we can probably sing him for under 1mill. He would add a little depth to the Center position.

Trades
    Rip Hamilton to the Clippers for Chris Kaman and Mardy Collins(filler).
    NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
    Most people say to trade Tayshaun for Kaman, and while it makes sense financially for both teams, it doesn't make sense physically. The Clippers have Al Thornton, a great young SF who is only getting better. He doesn't deserve to be benched for Tayshaun Prince. Keep Tayshaun for another year, let him be sort of a mentor for Summers/Daye.

2009-2010 Detroit Pistons Roster
    PG: R.Stuckey/W.Bynum/M.Collins
    SG: B.Gordon/A.Afflalo
    SF: T.Prince/A.Daye/D.Summers
    PF: D.Lee/J.Maxiell/S.Marks
    C: C.Kaman/D.Lee/S.Marks
  20. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Rumors have Okur opting out of Utah. Sign him. Sign Ben Gordon. Sign and trade with NY Lee for Hamilton.

Stuckey/Bynum
    Gordon/Afflalo
    Prince/Daye/Sharpe
    Lee/Max/Summers
    Okur/Brown

Stuckey/Bynum would drive the hole and Gordon/Okur would spot up for the drive and kick. Lee would chase down loose balls. Prince/Lee/Okur would need to pack it in on D, as Stuckey and Gordon would have trouble on that end.