Flipulla: "I just vant to play."

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

From MLIVE:

Two words usually work their way into any conversation about Valtteri Filppula's future in pro hockey: Can't miss.

He might have to wait another season for a full-time spot in the Detroit Red Wings' lineup, but the center is among new talent as the team transitions from the group that won three Stanley Cups.

"My goal certainly is to play in Detroit this year, but we'll see what happens," said Filppula, 22, a native of Vantaa, Finland. "If I go back to Grand Rapids, I'll have to work hard, too. I just want to play."

The kid looked good to me in the few games he played for the Wings last season. A good two-way player. A little Zetterberg-ish. But with all of the young guys who need to either make the roster this season, or go to waivers, I'd bet he's back in Grand Rapids.

If not, he'll have to have a heck of a training camp to make to make the big club. But he is one of the few young guns that can be sent to Grand Rapids this year, so I'd be suprised if the team didn't take advantage of that.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

There is no way that I'm the only one who was expecting some sort of "Count Flippula" vampire jokes about the Pistons when I saw the title of this thread! :D
  3. Superstarov

Actually, it was a dig on Darko and Delfino saying they "just vant to play". I thought everyone would get it.
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, I got that reference. Still, the guy's name is Flippula, how could you let the vampire joke opportunity pass? :)
  5. Superstarov

I guess it's because I've heard it outloud. The Dracula thing didn't even occur to me. Instead of "Drac-coo-la" its "Fip-pool-a" if that makes any sense. It's much, much quicker than Dracula. But, now I get it.
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I can see how it would be "Flip-POOL-uh" instead of "FLIP-yoo-lah." Not that it'll stop me from making jokes based on the latter pronunciation!
  7. Superstarov

Here is an update on what I was hoping for earlier this season.

From the Free Press:

For the past three years Red Wings forward Valtteri Filppula has had a very cool summer job: Working at countryman Teemu Selanne's hockey school in Katinkulta, Finland. It's a position Selanne is happy to have Filppula fill.

LINK TO ARTICLE
  8. Superstarov

Anyone else as impressed with this kid as I am?
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Absolutely.
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    For sure. He's been one of the standouts on this deep Red Wings team.