Flipper's BS

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Mar 1, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Flipper says this AM that, quoted in both the FREEP and Det News on-line editions, that he wants to see Amir be more consistent.

That is just an excuse to keep from playing him with the Pistons. The problem is that because the Pistons have a chance to get to the Finals that Flipper wants the experienced guys playing.

If the Pistons were like the the Tigers when Bonderman broke in then Amir would be starting just like Bonderman did. No way Bonderman starts for the Tigers this year if he was a rookie, just like Miller who is better than Bonderman at the same stage of development will be in the minors this year because the Tigers can win it all this year.

Why doesn't Flip just speak the truth instead of the BS? What a toad!!

:hoops:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here are his 40 minute stats in the D-League in 7 games:

26.7 points
    10.7 rebs
    2.7 assists
    1.9 steals
    4.8 blocks

FG%- .590
    3P%- 1.000

He's Hakeem Olajowon down there!

He consistently puts up outrageous numbers in the minor leagues and does it with a good attitude.

It ain't easy earning PT as a young player on the Pistons. I think Amir would have to score 81 points down there to get noticed by Flip.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Amir is inconsistent. Who would know more, the head coach or casual fans roaming the Internet?

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In all seriousness, casual fans roaming the Internet.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

co-signed.

I refuse to believe that everything we are told is more accurate than what our eyes tell us.

I've seen Amir play in the D-league last year. The kid is a primary or secondary option, and all joking aside, runs the floor like a gazelle.

Not to mention that his recent D-league game comes on the heels of the D-League showcase when he wowed folks, plus last year, and of course everyone remembers his 18 points in 18 minutes game with 100% shooting against Milwaukee last season.

The key is getting this kid signed to a long term deal this offseason. A well structured deal could mean that we have lottery pick talent playing for less than lottery pick prices which will help us going forward with the starting 5 all making the league average or much more.

Of course, we need to actually play him, but that has been a consistent problem in Detroit. Too many good players.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems to me it's Flip's job to win as many games as he can, including the playoffs. His focus shouldn't extend much beyond the next month. It's Joe's job to look at the longer term and vet the short term focus of the coach. Getting to the finals seems like a pretty good goal to me.

Uh, sure. We've all been through practice after practice, hour after hour of watching film, etc. We're all so knowledgeable that NBA teams are willing to pay us millions of dollars to make player personnel decisions. I must have missed the call when someone was offering me a job like that.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

First no one ever starts off as a consistent NBA player, not Lebron, not Wade, not Carmello. And if the Pistons refuse to play a young player until he proves he's constent, they are going to be waiting a long time.

As for a lottery pick for less than lottery $$$, what's to prevent other teams from thinking the same thing, and offering Amir more money? And if Detroit lowballs him, and then matches, don't be surprised if Amir demands a contract similar to Lebron's (lengthwise, not salary) so he can be an unrestricted FA asap.

And too many good players? Amir couldn't have stolen minutes from Nazr and Dice earlier this year?

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Something folks are overlooking is that Amir is light in the pants. He's not NBA size yet. That's a serious issue consistency aside. He needs to be bigger to play effectively in the NBA. That's a concern the Pistons have.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You could say the same thing about the President.

He's always right because he is the one that sits through all of the intelligence briefings.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So does Prince. And JMax needs to get taller to be effective.

Let's see Amir get pushed around a bit and then we can send him back to the D-League in good faith.

I don't like the possibility of us thinking that we can suppress a player's value.

11. max

max All-Star

Have to admit that Flip has went deeper in the bench than any Piston coach over the past 7 years or so. Even Blaylock got a chance.

It is sad that Amir is not given more PT, his pre-season goal was to play at least 100 mins. Does not look like he is going to get that. There is a danger that he may want to go some place where he can play.

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree with Tashawn somewhat. I have the exact same fram as Amir and when I play I consistently can be moved by guys much larger than me. Nevertheless, my superior height serves just as much of an advantage.

But..its the defensive side you need to worry about. If he is to play PF then the opposing one will have there way on the low block. This is rectified however by just putting him in with guys that he can handle. Also, noone here can tell me that Amare is a bruiser at PF, but he is pretty effective.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's sign up kpaav too. Twin towers!

14. buddahfan

Every player is inconsistent. Sheed goes from 25 one night to under 10 the next. Should he go down to the development league?

Please refrain from personal attacks and or slurs. They are not conducive to the harmony of the board. I am sure you can appreciate that. Thank you.

cheers

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wouldn't you agree that it is not always in the best interest of the organization to tell the truth? If throwing Amir into a few NBA games would increase his market value to other ballclubs, what advantage is there in doing that if there are no plans for using Amir in the 2007 playoffs?

I believe Amir is going to be something special. Let's not forget that he is still a kid. He lives with his mom. I hope he gets a legitimate chance next year to play for the Pistons. I don't expect much more game time in Detroit this year, though, except for some fill-in minutes when Sheed gets suspended.

16. buddahfan

You took my post out of context. I am not sure why you did that. Maybe it was just an mistake on your part.

I am not attacking Flipper for not playing Amir. I am criticizing him for BS ing us with the reason he is not playing Amir.

Have a nice day.

17. buddahfan

Excellent point. I agree with that.

So why doesn't Flipper speak the truth?

18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

At this point it's too late to try and sandbag Amir. Considering the success of Okur, the development of Darko, and the obscene numbers Amir is putting up in the NBDL, I bet everyteam in the league is scouting him, projecting his future abilities, and putting a price tag on him. And if Detroit isn't willing to pay that money, somebody else will.

19. buddahfan

It is always always in the best interest of everyone to tell the truth, except to the women in your life? LOL,

If you can't tell the truth then don't say anything!!!

20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If only his son (if he has one) would get all 'liar liar' on his ass. That would be cool.