Flip says he'll use his system

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree, International defense is not up to NBA standards... quickness matters.... If Carlos is ready he'll show it in the preseason... any overhype or negativity is irrelevant... just strap em up and see what happens.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree.... we should play all the young players to show what they're capable of... how bout Jmax 10 minutes... Delfino 15+, Amir 10... Blalock 10... Samb 10... that way we don't waste our time on proven vets...there's a winning formula for ya.:wacko:
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Sticking with the same 7, game after game, may work during the regular season, but was an absolute disaster during the playoffs last year. Flip, simply had no room to make adjustments. So, how bout this year, we give up a few wins, and GIVE Delfino some more minutes, GIVE JMax some regular PT, GIVE Amir some PT, and GIVE Blalock some PT.

Then, maybe by the time playoffs come, we're maybe the 2nd or 3rd seed, but the starters aren't as tired, some of the bench has improved, and Flip knows that he has some room to make adjustments if certain players aren't matching up well.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Ben chose not to be a Piston! Good or bad he is now the Bulls problem..I think the shakeup may be a positive thing. Let's wait and see.
  6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for that information. Dovetailing on your comments, here is what Phil Jackson says:
    “In Hawaii we’ve worked extensively on proper spacing, an integral part of the triangle offense. If players drift too far from one another, or become bunched up too closely together, the offense will sputter. The triangle depends on effective dribble penetration, everyone moving in rhythm with a clearly designated purpose, like members of an orchestra. I wasn’t surprised to see a few players struggle, failing to make good passes because for perhaps the first time in their careers, they were thinking about making good passes. For Gary (Payton) and Karl (Malone), the transition has been especially difficult. Veteran players with deeply ingrained habits need more time to become acclimated to a new program. I’ve worked with players whose games were so deeply entrenched—Mitch Richmond and Dennis Hopson come to mind—that they were never able to conform to the cadences of the triangle offense. Consequently, Richmond, who signed with the Lakers near the end of his career for one last chance at a ring, much like Malone and Payton, was replaced in the rotation by Brian Shaw. Conversely, Ron Harper learned how to alter his game. Earlier in his career, Harper was a slasher. With the Bulls and eventually the Lakers he evolved into a dependable spot-up shooter”
    (The Last Season, pg. 26-27)

There’s a lot in that paragraph and for me it associated itself with a general motif that weaved a tangled web of associations throughout this whole book. It has to do with flexibility and pluralism of reaching common goals. Participation and acceptance (even at individual cost) toward unity of effort. That’s what makes champions. It is never permanent, because all things change. Phil Jackson is particularly gifted in communication, not because of his intelligence, but because of life philosophy. Part of that life philosophy is from Zen. My take on Jackson is an emphasis on the process and its’ ultimate result will unfold as a natural sequence from peace of mind.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think structured offenses are flawed...
    If the defense knows that player A will be in a specific spot the defense will eventually catch up and cause T.O.s...
    Carlisle's offense was very preditable...
    In a playoff environment where you play the same team in sequence you need to have an offense that plays off the defense, much like in football... there should be options for each situation...
    LB's offense did have more flexibility... but his best offense was his defense... creating easy buckets.
    As for Flip's famed playbook... too much confusion can be a detriment... the returning players could have more success in year two as they work on expanding on the basic concepts.
    The new guys could have a tough time... it will have to be dummied down for them.
    If the offense can adapt to more options there should be a better conversion rate and less chance breakouts for the opponents (taking it from out of bounds)... as the ol' saying goes the best defense is a good offense.

It will be interesting to see what Porter brings to the table... he was a hell of a defender... possibly the missing piece for a defensive mindset.

Often times the system can have a greater impact than individual talent... I refer to our previous Olympic squad.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

P99, true that, and let us know if you come across any more tender morsels of life enhancers from the Zenmaster. That sounds like Japanese logic where it is all about the process of doing and not so much the finishing.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jabba the Hut would make a great Center for the Pistons by the way. I wonder if Flip would give him any PT.
  10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hail -- the dharma is alive and well on PF.com V2!! thanks Pass